Re-birth of the 1963/65 Slingerland "Modern Jazz" kit

Reaction score
This is my renovation project of my first drum set from high school. My '67 Ludwig "Hollywood" kit from my CBGB years was too ponderous for the jazz, funk, and other work I've drifted into, so I dug the Slingerland Modern Jazz kit out to rehab it. I left it with a pal while I traveled back in '71 after college. The floor tom had a bent rim from being dropped, oil-based paint had been slopped on the kit, the spurs had walked off, a wing-nut from the bass spur bracket had been broken off, etc., etc. The kit was sad, like an orphaned and abused child, but with a hidden beauty. I made a sanding board (needed for the Luddy, but not really for these bearing edges) and got to work for a month. I replaced the skins with Calftone (Evans 56), which I gradually tightened and broke in for 3 weeks. Sounds she makes are worthy of several greats of legend. Introducing my "Little Girl Blue!"

Attachments

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Slingerland "Modern Jazz Outfit No. 9N" was a great kit! While cataloged with the 14x14 floor tom, many of the mid-60's catalogs showed you could substitute a 16x16 for only $6 more! Beginning with the '69 catalog, year 1968, there was a Joe Cusatis 4N that was basically a 9N, but with a 16x16 floor tom. Here's a picture of my 1967 9N/4N.

-Mark

Attachments

Reaction score
That is positively gorgeous! I see the felt strip. I am using the original. Can you tell us what heads you are using and how they sound in general?

ps: My brother has the same '67 kit in gold sparkle that he's barley touched, covered with a sheet in a humidity controlled basement.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is positively gorgeous! I see the felt strip. I am using the original. Can you tell us what heads you are using and how they sound in general?

ps: My brother has the same '67 kit in gold sparkle that he's barley touched, covered with a sheet in a humidity controlled basement.
Hi Robert!

Thanks for the compliments on my kit! Concerning the heads, I have all period-correct heads on all the drums, which are Slingerland's own Sound King heads. All reso heads are NOS, with the batter heads still having lots of life. The Artist snare drum has now been fitted with period correct heads as well. The front bass drum head has the original "Slingerland" logo and is in fantastic condition. The felt strip is a new Ludwig, which is nice and thin. The batter head is also period correct and has the original built-in muffler strap! The original mole-skin patch was missing, but you could see where it was attached. Playing the kit with period-correct heads lets you experience how the kit sounded right from the factory!

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark: your set is just beautiful. So classy, so majestic. Silver Sparkle is a great color for that set.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark: your set is just beautiful. So classy, so majestic. Silver Sparkle is a great color for that set.
Thanks retrosonic!

It is a beautiful kit! It just sits, stacked up, in my drum room. I really need to sell it, but just too lazy to get it listed! The biggest concern will be the local market, as I do not want ship it. Since I'm in southern California, there should be reasonable interest from locals.

-Mark

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Markie.

You should have no trouble selling that beautiful set locally.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Nice kits, guys. Really like the rail mount/spade set-up on them, & their blue sparkle is awesome---deep & dark. Somebody's gonna love that SS kit......marko

Reaction score
Hi Robert!

Thanks for the compliments on my kit! Concerning the heads, I have all period-correct heads on all the drums, which are Slingerland's own Sound King heads. All reso heads are NOS, with the batter heads still having lots of life. The Artist snare drum has now been fitted with period correct heads as well. The front bass drum head has the original "Slingerland" logo and is in fantastic condition. The felt strip is a new Ludwig, which is nice and thin. The batter head is also period correct and has the original built-in muffler strap! The original mole-skin patch was missing, but you could see where it was attached. Playing the kit with period-correct heads lets you experience how the kit sounded right from the factory!

-Mark
That is so evocative of the era. I can see them on the stage of my high school auditorium for the senior show. Sure wish I could hear them. I think you'd enjoy mine, too, but might have some helpful comments for me.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is so evocative of the era. I can see them on the stage of my high school auditorium for the senior show. Sure wish I could hear them. I think you'd enjoy mine, too, but might have some helpful comments for me.
Hey Robert!

My comment would be to enjoy your kit! Slingerland's darker shade of "sparkling blue pearl" was a great looking finish! As to the drums themselves, Slingerland was making some great sounding kits back in the 60's and early 70's. They recall a bygone era when all we were concerned with is whether the drums sounded good or not! We weren't all hung up on the the type of wood, bearing edges, etc. We got what we got...and they always seemed to be great drums!

-Mark