Re-plating Nickel and Chrome Parts

vintagerick

Reaction score
Newbie to the Forum! Does anyone have experience re-plating nickel and chrome parts? This is for a NOB 1920s Leedy Multi-Model that has rims, lugs, and strainer rusted beyond help. Shell is in pretty decent shape and may not need re-plating.
How thick should the plating be? Single layer or multi-layer? I'm happy to take any tips or advice, or, please refer a previous thread on the topic to me? (I know someone recently asked a related question, but I'm hoping for more info.)
Thanks!

Attachments

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
Chrome plating is quite cost prohibitive...which is why all the chrome parts come from Asia where they dont have emission standards. Nickel plating is still commonly available, but most will have a minimum cost. Chrome plating usually is done over nickel plating, another factor in cost. I cant say for sure, but at this point, replating wont help too much in value of the drum, so remove the rush and clean and polish and see how it looks. Hopefully soon, such corrosion will be seen as "patina" or "mojo"! Its only orginal once. if a steel part has even rust coating (thin nickel layer completly gone), some have derusted and polished steel to bright smooth finish, and can clear coat it. I know, sounds half-crocked, but unless a really valuable snare drum (say near $1000), I dont see much point in going overboard on spending money on it.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know the saying, “it’s only original once”. So I wouldn’t replate this drum, even if you can find a place to do it, which isn’t easy.

You might try an auto detailer. I would think that they would have everything necessary to clean up chrome to get the best out of this drum. It won’t be perfect, but it will be original and the patina might look pretty cool.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

blue-onyx

Reaction score