header.nohb.html

Re-wrap & restoration of 1968 Rogers R-380 drumset (Yamaha made)

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just to add, according to Yamaha they never made any Roger drums, I also never saw anything pointing that direction myself.

The only mentioning I know of, is this always returning book info from Rob Cook.

They did owned the rights between 2006 and 2013.

They were also Japanese distributor between 1974 and 1975 (they also handled Ludwig, Evans, and Zildjian)

Other then that there is no mention or knowledge beside the book.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Those look fantastic, that hot pink is itching for to be played in a hot rockabilly or surf band!
I personally would add the bass hoop strips. Maybe cut one and Scotch tape in on & see how you like it?
Drum Mer - The R360 & R380 drums were definitely made by the Yamaha company. Whether that was in a Yamaha factory or from the Sakae factory, I don't know, but definitely subcontracted by Rogers to the Yamaha company.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those look fantastic, that hot pink is itching for to be played in a hot rockabilly or surf band!
I personally would add the bass hoop strips. Maybe cut one and Scotch tape in on & see how you like it?
Drum Mer - The R360 & R380 drums were definitely made by the Yamaha company. Whether that was in a Yamaha factory or from the Sakae factory, I don't know, but definitely subcontracted by Rogers to the Yamaha company.
Even the top brass at Yamaha in Japan says this isn‘t the case.

Back in those days there only was the Sakae factory.

And Yamaha only did the distribution in Japan for those 2 years, the sets that were made in the US.

Here is a scan from one of the catalogs in 1974.

1664346762433.png

But if you have any hard evidence like contracts or catalogs where its is stated that they are indeed made in Japan I would love to see it and be proven weong for the sake of drum history.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drums look fantastic! And I'm sure they will also sound great. Having owned a couple of first run R-360/R-380 Rogers kits in the past as well as "Y" badge Yamaha kits I can tell you that the shells were definitely built by Yamaha. Anyone that has compared the two kits side by side could tell. They are identical right down to the greenish grey paint on the interior. What the business arrangement was between Rogers and Yamaha at that time may be unknown, but the drums themselves show the proof.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
The drums look fantastic! And I'm sure they will also sound great. Having owned a couple of first run R-360/R-380 Rogers kits in the past as well as "Y" badge Yamaha kits I can tell you that the shells were definitely built by Yamaha. Anyone that has compared the two kits side by side could tell. They are identical right down to the greenish grey paint on the interior. What the business arrangement was between Rogers and Yamaha at that time may be unknown, but the drums themselves show the proof.
I have seen more drums that looked like the C and D series kits including the internal paint.

That unfortunately is no hard evidence.

As long as Yamaha says they didn't made them for Rogers, and there is no proof in writing/print this is the only thing that counts unfrotunately.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna go Pink : Go HOT or don’t bother !!!
Well done !!

Reactions: DBT

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As long as Yamaha says they didn't made them for Rogers, and there is no proof in writing/print this is the only thing that counts unfortunately.

Your statement isn't valid. You have offered no proof, in writing or any other form, that Yamaha (or Sakae) DIDN'T manufacture the drums for Rogers. You have only offered your personal opinion that the "top brass at Yamaha in Japan says this isn‘t the case". Your evidence is hearsay at best.

SKSMITH

Reaction score

I have seen more drums that looked like the C and D series kits including the internal paint.

That unfortunately is no hard evidence.

As long as Yamaha says they didn't made them for Rogers, and there is no proof in writing/print this is the only thing that counts unfrotunately.

Please provide the name or names of the Yamaha brass that told you they did not make the R360/R380 drums for Rogers to import to the states.
Because if this is true, it would change a whole hell of a lot of tribal knowledge that people a lot closer to Rogers and their history that I am would be very interested.
The R360/R380 were definitely imported by Rogers USA. They were not made or even assembled in the USA.
Are you referencing the 1980's Taiwan-made R360/R380 drums?

Last edited:

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your statement isn't valid. You have offered no proof, in writing or any other form, that Yamaha (or Sakae) DIDN'T manufacture the drums for Rogers. You have only offered your personal opinion that the "top brass at Yamaha in Japan says this isn‘t the case". Your evidence is hearsay at best.
I'm affiliated with Yamaha for a long time, that should be enough validation.

I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true or if I didn't trust the words of the global management (where I asked this, as Yamaha Drums' history is the biggest part of my work).

As such it is not my opinion (only) but a shared opinion by Yamaha, and for me as such a fact as long as it won't get rebuted.

Links of other opinions (not facts by people working for either Yamaha or Rogers back then, or documents) are interesting but not valid for the sake of history.

Please provide the name or names of the Yamaha brass that told you they did not make the R360/R380 drums for Rogers to import to the states.
Because if this is true, it would change a whole hell of a lot of tribal knowledge that people a lot closer to Rogers and their history that I am would be very interested.
The R360/R380 were definitely imported by Rogers USA. They were not made or even assembled in the USA.
Are you referencing the 1980's Taiwan-made R360/R380 drums?

Unfortunately as someone who works for a company, I can't give out names publicly.

Anyone is free to contact Yamaha Drums in the US, Europe, or even Japan though.

I was talking about all Rogers drums that have been supposedly said, made by Yamaha before they owned the rights in 2006 (that is why I referenced the 1974 -1975 period for instance).

If Yamaha did made drums for Rogers I would love to see the proof of that, so Yamaha (and the archive I maintain for them) and ofcourse tribal knowledge, can be updated.

Just for the sake of proper Yamaha and Rogers history.

Last edited: