Real or Rewrap? Psych Red tom

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This drum popped up on my ebay radar this morning. I'm curious what others think about the wrap. To my eye in the more distant pictures it looks like the darker "splotchier" repro Psychedelic Red that came on the Element SE series drums and is now available from Jammin Sam. The closer up pictures look a bit more like the real deal. I'm on the fence as to which it is. I've never seen original PR quite like this but these Mod wraps varied so much from batch to batch and even from sheet to sheet that it's hard to say for certain. Seller says it's original but then they would have a vested interest in saying that, and maybe they don't know one way or the other but assume, or were told, that it is. It has a white interior so if it is original the PR wrap should go into the scarf joint. I guess that would be the sure fire way to tell.

I'd love to add an authentic floor tom this size to my own Psych red set and this one would probably do the trick regardless but the price would have to reflect the rewrap...if it is. I suppose the final price will reflect what the market thought of it. If it's accepted as the real deal it will no doubt go sky high. Probably go beyond what I can afford at the moment, even if it were unmasked as a rewrap, given the scarcity of 14x14s in almost any finish.

Hey maybe they figured it out or else someone snagged it as the auction has been ended already. I just went to get the link and noticed. Still open for debate though...

However looking at it on my laptop rather than on my phone screen I'm now convinced it is a rewrap in the modern stuff. Too splotchy, the grommet looks tampered with and the seam isn't lined up with any lugs, plus they ended the auction. Still...I had bid on it and for the right price I might have remained interested...

PR1.jpg
PR2.jpg

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment Kevin that this doesn’t look like the original psych. red pattern. Too dark and too “splotchy”.
Cool drum none the less.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If it ‘twas B/O, there might be an argument that this was the late, much darker stuff. But even that would be thin. But a 600XXX-some keystone? NOPE

If this is legit I will eat my shoe.
But even the later darker stuff has it's own unique look...and definitely not splotchy at all...

psyred1.jpg

It's kind of cool in its own way although not that much like the earlier version. I guess this was "Bowling Ball" Psych Red.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
KO: I agree with your assessment as well. And that badge definitely looks like it was removed and forced back.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The grommet has obviously been tampered with.

A white interior doesn't guarantee that the wrap goes into the scarf joint.

I have a '67 or '68 13" tom with white interior and keystone badge and the wrap didn't go into the scarf joint.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It has now been relisted without claim that wrap is original.
No longer specifies it's original and he thanks all the folks who gave him more information about the drum but he never says that it is a rewrap either. Kind of deceptive since now he knows.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not exactly a clear representation that this drum is a rewrap:

"Great - appears to have been rear soles
No issues at the seam : solid glue well done"

I suppose that "rear soles" means re-soled or rewrapped????????

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not original. Grommet looks manipulated, too.......I have a red psyche B/O 8x12 and it has more stripes than blotches.

Iristone

Reaction score
But even the later darker stuff has it's own unique look...and definitely not splotchy at all...

View attachment 425345

It's kind of cool in its own way although not that much like the earlier version. I guess this was "Bowling Ball" Psych Red.
Now this looks great! Anyone knows if there's a reissue of it? Or maybe I'm a jerk asking for a rare version of a rare wrap. :lurk:

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now this looks great! Anyone knows if there's a reissue of it? Or maybe I'm a jerk asking for a rare version of a rare wrap. :lurk:
It’s not rare or bowling ball version. This is how the wrap looked at the end of production. That’s why you can find it only on Ludwigs after ca.1976

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not rare or bowling ball version. This is how the wrap looked at the end of production. That’s why you can find it only on Ludwigs after ca.1976
Having been monitoring Psychedelic Red sales for the better part of 11 years- I would say the later version is rather rare.

The majority of the drums you see offered for sale are from 1967-72 time period and you see very few offered with the darker later version.

Very few people seemed to have wanted to buy something that must have sounded incredibly dated by the mid 1970's.......

However there seems to be very little desire for it among collectors. It has really grown on me over the years though. Still kick myself for not buying the Octa-plus setup Drugan"s had a few years back. If I remember at one point it was under $1k........

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
BTW just to expand on that pic that Kevin posted, this drum is actually a six ply shell, rounded corner with rivets. I saved pics of this auction years ago because I had never seen a psych red go that late into production. I thought it was cool anyway...

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score

View attachment 425345

A good friend of mind got his psych red set in around '72. A few years later he added a set of concert toms and they came in the later finish shown above. It's a very cool finish...not many exist. And it's not a real good match for the original.