Reality Check Before You Start a "I can do that" Restoration

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found a perfect opportunity for a restoration of an original Dayton Rogers set in unusual and valuable sizes. It included a true 18" bass drum, 14" floor tom and 12" top tom, all "born together".

I have been working with Rogers drums for a while, so knew the work involved with no delusions. I was looking to do a full restoration and not just make it a Players Kit, so correct wrap and parts were used as much as possible.

When you see a set needing work, the first thought is "I can do that". Here is a reality check for that "just do this and replace that" part of the restoration. It turned out as nice as I expected and has moved down the road to a new owner. It was worth the time and effort to me. YMMV.

Costs would have been less without vintage Rogers parts and having a Player Kit in mind as the finished product. Since I did my own work (except for bearing edge recutting), labor costs would have to be adjusted for a shop rate.

$300 18”bd + 14”ft + 12”tt Rogers shells with ebay shipping and sales tax. Need parts and wrap.
A bargain place to start, right?

$300 New wrap and 1 new bd rim/insert strips (wrap, tax, shipping)
$85 12” + 14” rims w/ shipping
$95 Correct BD claws and t-rods
$120 Correct 21” floor tom legs (legs, tax, shipping)
$25 Missing L arm piece
$50 Missing L arm tilter
$120 Recut damaged bearing edges (only labor parted out)
$120 New pairs of heads (18” bd, 12” & 14” toms)
FREE My labor and already had wrap glue. YMMV for any shop rate.

Total $1215

The snare in the picture was also restored, but not included in the cost breakdown and is still available for new owner.

18 - 1.jpg
IMG_20190430_111831620.jpg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
The last project kit I put together (Walberg and Auge) I kept a spreadsheet on my expenses...its the last kit for a reason...but I'm glad i did it.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You did a GREAT job on those Rogers!! Congrats.

Nothing I like to see more than an old set restored to play on for many more decades.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, man, Amosguy, those are to die for! Great job, all the way around. Major kudos to you!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know that's a lot of work, beautiful! Don't think I would've done it unless it was for myself. Somebody got a sweet kit and a killer deal.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A little over 2 years ago, I became obsessed with making a 15" floor tom to go with my 1966 Rogers Headliner set. It started out innocently enough, when I found a Rogers 15" marching tenor drum. I never bother with keeping track of costs when I do refurbs, but I did with this conversion. Here's what I came up with!!

12x15 Rogers tenor tom shell, with hardware... $100.00
Blue Glitter wrap installation/shipping from PDC... 193.00
Set of 3 Fullerton cast Knobbies... 135.50
Set of 3 20" floor tom legs... 69.99
Set of 16 Dayton era lugs... 52.00
Set of 16 Dayton era tension rods... 15.99
VG+ 15" Rogers A-1 coated head... 39.00
NOS 15" Rogers E-1 coated head... 13.46
NOS 15” Rogers A-1 coated head…23.90
Rogers-style logo nails... 3.49
Tuxedo Bag... 49. 98

Total shipping charges... 73.15

And the GRAND TOTAL IS... $769.46

Ouch! But, the bottom line was that I was very pleased with the results!

-Mark

Attachments

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speaking of red I once did a 50’s 3 ply 6 1/2 snare rebuild to match my kit that all began with a $300 shell (couldn’t pass it up) which still had the beautiful original deep red glitter wrap and badge. From there it escalated to $900 +reassebled with all correct parts. She was a beauty to behold but whew ‘spencive!
003 (146).JPG
016 (62).JPG

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently completed restoration of a 1960s Amati set (built in Czechoslovakia). I did not keep a list of expenses, but it probably ended up costing me not much less than the Rogers above. But at least Rogers has a ready market for it once restored. Amati, not so much. It also took six years, because old Amati parts are unobtainium in the USA and very rare in Europe. I should never take on such projects from a reasonable standpoint, but when was vintage drum restoration ever truly reasonable? I did it for fun because I enjoy the obscure and the challenging.

Amati1.jpg

Amati2.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those that wondered, it was sold at a nice profit because of the rare sizes. And not all get the attention this one needed and deserved. Done plenty of players sets with less attention to detail to return to presentable condition for playing.

Not all are so profitable.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I kinda liked the leopard spot effect of the peeled shells before you wrapped them .

... but Rogers wraps are the most labor intensive to remove and you're to be commended for the effort and stunning results !!!

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great job - they look like they just came out of the Rogers factory. The set I play are all Rogers orphans that I acquired one at a time, restored and rewrapped and are enjoying a second chance around.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I kinda liked the leopard spot effect of the peeled shells before you wrapped them .

... but Rogers wraps are the most labor intensive to remove and you're to be commended for the effort and stunning results !!!
Did look kinda cool. The shells must have been stored in an attic for years as the wrap fell off in pieces, laying at the bottom of the shipping box. Took 20 minutes to get the hardware off the bass drum, and less than 5 minutes using a putty knife to get the remaining wrap off.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regardless of cost/profit you obviously enjoy the process because it REALLY shows in the final results. Lovely!!!