Really Great Drums with Limited Resale Appeal

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The recent Sakae Almighty thread got me thinking about great drums with limited resale value due to lack of brand awareness (or other factors). I purchased a Sakae Trilogy kit when I found out the company was starting to slow down because I thought they were some of the most enjoyable drums I'd ever played. I also thought that they would have some resale value if the company did eventually fold and I decided I wanted to look for something else down the road. Looks like that was a bad bet. Thankfully, I'm still really, really happy with the Trilogies after a few years. Can't imagine moving on from them right now.

With that, I was wondering about other brands with similar appraisals. Someone mentioned Legend in the Sakae thread. Here's my list:

Sakae
Legend
Mapex Saturn

That was all I could think of when trying to consider top notch performance and build versus limited resale. What are some others?

towndog

Reaction score
I had Joe Mac build me a set of Eames several years ago knowing there would be no resale value. I knew it going in and knew I still wanted them and it would be a forever kit.

All these years later and I am still very satisfied and glad I bought them..

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pork Pie comes to mind. Also there are some small brands that are very popular on here, but that are not well known in the broader market, so their resale is limited.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Spaun comes to mind immediately. What about Ayotte? They were pricey when new so I'm not sure how they now hold up in terms of resale. I know the "Ray era" drums are highly touted but not sure at what price.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the price, Mapex Saturn would have to top my list.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spain comes to mind immediately. What about Ayotte? They were pricey when new so I'm not sure how they now hold up in terms of resale.
My Spaun set is as well made as any set out there, but resale on Spaun is tough. If you like them, you can great deal.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Definitely Mapex Saturn. I bought a used set because I thought it was a great deal, thinking I could flip them for a modest profit. Boy, was I surprised. I had to give them away and actually lost money.
Still, the drums were well made and sounded great. Maybe I just should have kept them?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Sadly, I have to include my friend Al Adinolfi, owner of Boom Theory.
Al's one of the smartest and most real people I've ever met and he builds F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C and innovative drums, but when I talk to local drummers about his stuff, they're all like, "who?".
Guy works his freakin' @$$ off. Every. Day.
He should get better recognition.

Boom Theory
Boom Theory Facebook page

Elvis

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Premier.

Not so much regarding anything new. More that the older UK-made drums from the '60s-early 2000s are really fantastic drums with, sadly, relatively minor apparent market interest.

Incredible shells, build quality and sound.
This is the one that breaks my heart. They weren't some upstart who took their chances late in the game. This was a brand that mattered for a long time and found itself on a lot of significant pages in history.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sadly, I have to include my friend Al Adinolfi, owner of Boom Theory.
Al's one of the smartest and most real people I've ever met and he builds F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C and innovative drums, but when I talk to local drummers about his stuff, they're all like, "who?".
Guy works his freakin' @$$ off. Every. Day.
He should get better recognition.

Boom Theory
Boom Theory Facebook page

Elvis
Hes had my attention since 2002.
Have owned 3 BT kits,still have two
Elvis is exactly right,works his azz off!
Corder/Darwin is who i think of.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Odery Drums!
I haven't played them but I've heard them and the top of the line stuff sounds great. From what I have seen, I see some practically new Odery pieces listed sometimes and they are practically given away. I guess many things that are not "Known name brands" have limited retail value.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had several great drum sets that surprised me when it came time to resell, and not in a good way.
  1. INDē
  2. Hendrix Perfect Ply
  3. Sonor Ascent
  4. Pearl Wood/Fiberglass Reissue

dsop

Reaction score
Premier.

Not so much regarding anything new. More that the older UK-made drums from the '60s-early 2000s are really fantastic drums with, sadly, relatively minor apparent market interest.

Incredible shells, build quality and sound.
Best drums I ever played: Premier in 1977

Tanabata

Reaction score
I've had several great drum sets that surprised me when it came time to resell, and not in a good way.
  1. INDē
  2. Hendrix Perfect Ply
  3. Sonor Ascent
  4. Pearl Wood/Fiberglass Reissue
I also took a huge bath with 1.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I will probably never sell my '78 Slingerland kit because I will never get what I think it is worth. Baltimore Drums told me it's worth about $800, which means I might be able to get $1000. I think it's pretty much all drums. They are like cars; once you drive them off the lot, they immediately drop 50% in value, unless you have something really exceptional like an original Black Beauty. Unfortunately, the "Limited Edition" thing has become a marketing ploy. It's really nice to have a "1 of 50" drum, but it doesn't mean much anymore. What I don't understand is why anyone will pay $1500 for a new snare drum when you can wait and find one used, like new, at half the price. I think new high end drums are way overpriced.

Last edited: