Really Nice Bookends! The Tama STAR Reserve Hammered Copper and Aluminum Snares

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, Ive not posted a new thread in a while and wanted to catch up with a quick shout out to TAMA for their stellar Metal Reserve STAR series drums.

But first, I want to explain what brought me to such sweet drums. Like many others, I enjoy buying, selling and trading drums and snares specifically. I love always having a new sound, shell material or size to explore and experiment with but this has led to a rather large turn over of drums in the past few years. Here is a screen shot showing the snares Ive sold in the last 3 to 4 years....

1628728226219.png

This does not take into account the drums Ive kept... but as I am getting inevitably older (pushing 60) I have had a real desire to slow down the revolving door and truly find those instruments that will comprise my core collection. I'm now moving into that phase of collecting where I'm more interested in the overall sound and quality of each instrument rather than the quantity on them. I did not target a specific number for the overall total, but I knew from past experiences that 10 is a good number for me personally. Any more than that and drums start to languish in cases rather than being played. So I set out on a quest to select my "forever" snares drums and I am happy to say I'm around 80% there. so that brings me to the title of the thread... These two drums are the book ends of my collection moving forward...

20210716_014050 copy.jpg

2018 TAMA STAR 6 ½” X 14” Reserve Copper TSC1565H
Early model (around serial #10) built in Japan and hand hammered on a 1.5mm rolled shell

I picked up the copper version several months ago and since copper is my favorite alloy for a snare, I was thrilled with the results (this can be heard on my drum cam video in the video section). It's an early model and beautifully crafted with a warm depth and pleasant articulation.

20210130_232935 copy.jpg

20210130_210205 copy.jpg

20210130_232532 copy.jpg

And now, my newest addition.... the extremely unexpected Aluminum sister snare...

2021 TAMA Star 6 ½ X 14” Reserve Aluminum TAS1465H
No. 7 in Star Reserve series, also a VERY early release, 1/13/21 (possibly inside first 10 made) built on a 3mm seamed shell.

This one is only about 4 dates old and its completely different from any other aluminum snare I have owned. It's amazingly fat and "swampy" but 10' away, it still has a dry, cutting crack!

20210716_013306 copy.jpg

20210715_131500.jpg

20210716_013017_002 copy.jpg

So while I am now currently at 10 snares (again, my "target" number), I know that a couple will most likely sell to pave the way for a few more new additions, but these Japanese made STAR'S will be a permanent part of my drum family till the end. Thanks for the look, it's fun to share new toys with you all as no one in my house gives a rat's tail for what I may drag home!

Happy Drumming gang,
Ward

20210716_014122.jpg

Last edited:

Quai34

Reaction score
Hi my god, I'm like you, I started with the Plain Maple Star Reserve, following by the Solid Sedan and the Copper hammered has always been on my list. Then the aluminium came and it was another on the list...I won't have 10 snares for sure but in order not to have only Tama Star Réserve (Why not in fact??), I decided for brass, instead of the Brass Tama in 5.5 or 6.5 (Via DCP exclusive model), I just bought the brass Sonor Benny Greg signature model. I'm discussing with Summit drums for a 15X8 walnut to us it ad well as a floor tom, so, I will be 4 and your two new snares, could be the number "CB photo" (drummer her is at Drummerword as well) told me to start with to put 5 on a snare rack for 6 snares...
Your pictures are super nice too, thanks for sharing.
In checking your snares, it reminds me of a friend's ho had 75 snares a while ago and has started to all them to pay off a bit in advance his mortgage and also to clean it up for his kids to not have to do it in the future...

Last edited:

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
Very nice FD! I'm envious of you. I ordered my Star Reserve Hammered Aluminum back in March, earlier this year. I was hoping to receive it sooner... but anxiously await it's arrival. Once the aluminum arrives, and I make my usual changes, I will have a custom trio. If you don't mine me posting a pic, here are my copper and brass. This brass is the custom Drum Center of Portsmouth 6.5x14 version of the Star Reserve Hammered Brass... only 30 made. Your aluminum hammering POPS; I hope mine is as nice.

tbrs1465withtch1465hsmall.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a slow morning update here... I'm bored apparently (thats an improvement from earlier, as I was board!).

Based on the wonderful pic posted by Drumming-4-Life, I had to look into the die cast for my aluminum model. I am not the fan of the Tama Sound Arc hoops that others are, it's just a heaver Slingerland inspired brass hoop and while it sounds fine (I actually don't like the cross-stick tone from it very much) I thought the brass against the hammered aluminum was not all together pleasant to my eye. So I decided to push the button and pick up a set of factory diecast to top this one off.

I had just bought a set of 3.0mm triple flange hoops a week or two ago to see if I would like that sound and look better and then decided what the heck, go all in and get the correct diecast. So those 3.0's are now for sale if interested.

So two of the 3 Star's now have diecast (the Mahogany comes with them) but I will be leaving the traditional brass models on the hammered copper. That feels, looks and sounds great!

Here is the hoop history of this aluminum model.... like I said, I was board!

Factory (they are wrapped up and back in the orgional box now safe and sound...
20210716_013306 copy.jpg

The transnational Reliance made 3.0mm triple flange rims...
20211023_160919 copy.jpg

The final Tama Diecast version....
20211023_163344 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just a slow morning update here... I'm board apparently!

Based on the wonderful pic posted by Drumming-4-Life, I had to look into the die cast for my aluminum model. I am not the fan of the Tama Sound Arc hoops that others are, it's just a heaver Slingerland inspired brass hoop and while it sounds fine (I actually don't like the cross-stick tone from it very much) I thought the brass against the hammered aluminum was not all together pleasant to my eye. So I decided to push the button and pick up a set of factory diecast to top this one off.

I had just bought a set of 3.0mm triple flange hoops a week or two ago to see if I would like that sound and look better and then decided what the heck, go all in and get the correct diecast. So those 3.0's are now for sale if interested.

So two of the 3 Star's now have diecast (the Mahogany comes with them) but I will be leaving the traditional brass models on the hammered copper. That feels, looks and sounds great!

Here is the hoop history of this aluminum model.... like I said, I was board!

Factory (they are wrapped up and back in the orgional box now safe and sound...
View attachment 524539

The transnational Reliance made 3.0mm triple flange rims...
View attachment 524540

The final Tama Diecast version....
View attachment 524541

And one to grow on... I just liked this pic!

View attachment 524542
Oh my. Visions of loveliness. I agree this last picture is over the top!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey folks, Ive not posted a new thread in a while and wanted to catch up with a quick shout out to TAMA for their stellar Metal Reserve STAR series drums.

But first, I want to explain what brought me to such sweet drums. Like many others, I enjoy buying, selling and trading drums and snares specifically. I love always having a new sound, shell material or size to explore and experiment with but this has led to a rather large turn over of drums in the past few years. Here is a screen shot showing the snares Ive sold in the last 3 to 4 years....

View attachment 512392

This does not take into account the drums Ive kept... but as I am getting inevitably older (pushing 60) I have had a real desire to slow down the revolving door and truly find those instruments that will comprise my core collection. I'm now moving into that phase of collecting where I'm more interested in the overall sound and quality of each instrument rather than the quantity on them. I did not target a specific number for the overall total, but I knew from past experiences that 10 is a good number for me personally. Any more than that and drums start to languish in cases rather than being played. So I set out on a quest to select my "forever" snares drums and I am happy to say I'm around 80% there. so that brings me to the title of the thread... These two drums are the book ends of my collection moving forward...

View attachment 512395

2018 TAMA STAR 6 ½” X 14” Reserve Copper TSC1565H
Early model (around serial #10) built in Japan and hand hammered on a 1.5mm rolled shell

I picked up the copper version several months ago and since copper is my favorite alloy for a snare, I was thrilled with the results (this can be heard on my drum cam video in the video section). It's an early model and beautifully crafted with a warm depth and pleasant articulation.

View attachment 512400

View attachment 512402

View attachment 512401

And now, my newest addition.... the extremely unexpected Aluminum sister snare...

2021 TAMA Star 6 ½ X 14” Reserve Aluminum TAS1465H
No. 7 in Star Reserve series, also a VERY early release, 1/13/21 (possibly inside first 10 made) built on a 3mm seamless shell.

This one is only about 4 dates old and its completely different from any other aluminum snare I have owned. It's amazingly fat and "swampy" but 10' away, it still has a dry, cutting crack!

View attachment 512397

View attachment 512399

View attachment 512398

So while I am now currently at 10 snares (again, my "target" number), I know that a couple will most likely sell to pave the way for a few more new additions, but these Japanese made STAR'S will be a permanent part of my drum family till the end. Thanks for the look, it's fun to share new toys with you all as no one in my house gives a rat's tail for what I may drag home!

Happy Drumming gang,
Ward

View attachment 512396
Beautiful drums! You can see the build quality from your pics. Question: when you say that copper is your favorite alloy, what other metal is your cooper shell made of?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful drums! You can see the build quality from your pics. Question: when you say that copper is your favorite alloy, what other metal is your cooper shell made of?
There are two copper shells in my current line up and they are just solid copper (the Hammered Tama Star and the George Way Elkhart are both 6.5X14) Past copper my next favorite is Brass and there are two in this current line up as well.

20211023_172119 copy copy.jpg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are two copper shells in my current line up and they are just solid copper (the Hammered Tama Star and the George Way Elkhart are both 6.5X14) Past copper my next favorite is Brass and there are two in this current line up as well.

View attachment 524598
Ok. Bronze and brass are alloys so I wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant. Nice collection! You may have have more snare drums than I have drums.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bored ..... not "board"
So more like this ... 20200706_103923.jpg and less like this then? 20160414_120529.jpg

I may be the worlds worst speller... my friends have to decipher through my awful text's and tell me it's good they speak "Ward"!

Last edited:

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I understand the differences between those hoops, but what are your impressions of the differences for that particular drum?

Quai34

Reaction score
I understand the differences between those hoops, but what are your impressions of the differences for that particular drum?
Yes, me on, as my next purchase will be the copper hammered. That said, what would you say about the difference between the brass original 5.5 and 6.5? I Know Shane always prefers deep snares but? Let me know.
Sincerely

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the orgional Slingerland style brass hoops were very mellow and overly focused on the tonal range. No mater how I approached the drum from a playing stand point, I felt I was hearing too much of the rims influence. They are really interesting animals.

I tried the triple flange and immediately liked the rim shots and cross sticks better. I did not feel the hoops were having as much say in the overall sound and it was more the shell resonance I was picking up on. But darn those 3.0's are HEAVY and the drum already weighs a good bit so I thought with a drum this expensive, why throw off brand hoops on it, go ahead and follow the path set by D4L and go brand specific die cast.

The die cast were the right choice for my taste in that they played great under the stick, the sound was a nice blend of head, shell and hoop with just the right amount of ring and control at the same time. I did all three with the same head and tuning to really try and make a fair comparison, ultimately this was the right choice for me.

W

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three millimeters??? That's pretty thick.

Not seamless though. You can clearly see the weld in this video. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Your 100% correct.... that was a simply typo in my orgional post. I meant to write seamed not seamless. I'm such a bad speller that as long as their is no red line under the word I think I'm golden! Good catch and thank you for that, I dont want to provide miss-information. I'm pretty confident that all 4 of the hand hammered Stars (these along with the two size brass models) are all rolled and seamed.

As for Quai34's question, I have never played one of the Star hammered brass drums but I really enjoy the video's of both. I have never been worried by a shallower brass snare as they always seem to have a nice tuning range. One of the most versatile brass snares I ever had was a 5.5" first gen Pearl Sensitone. My prefered size snare is 6" anyway. Let us know how you enjoy the copper when you get it.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ward ,
I am in complete agreement with you about 10 snares being the ideal amount . I was in the same boat as you when I had more than 10 snares . I found some snares just were gathering dust .

@Treviso1 opened my eyes to the Tama Star line of snare drums the last time I visited him. The Tama Star lineup of snares should be getting far more attention as they are so well made and sound fantastic .

Last edited:

Quai34

Reaction score
Your 100% correct.... that was a simply typo in my orgional post. I meant to write seamed not seamless. I'm such a bad speller that as long as their is no red line under the word I think I'm golden! Good catch and thank you for that, I dont want to provide miss-information. I'm pretty confident that all 4 of the hand hammered Stars (these along with the two size brass models) are all rolled and seamed.

As for Quai34's question, I have never played one of the Star hammered brass drums but I really enjoy the video's of both. I have never been worried by a shallower brass snare as they always seem to have a nice tuning range. One of the most versatile brass snares I ever had was a 5.5" first gen Pearl Sensitone. My prefered size snare is 6" anyway. Let us know how you enjoy the copper when you get it.
Ok, I will for sure, thanks, I have sent a message to you, maybe too long, if it is, I apologize, I'm quite talkative when it comes to discuss the Tama star and star Reserve lines as, like you said, they are fantastic snares...

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a video with the original brass Sound Arc hoops from last week. A one take (well, in honesty this is the second of three takes) of my 80's band recording some content for booking purposes. It's live so I have to play very reserved to not blow the others away therefore I could not really lay into it but you can still hear the dry crispness of the aluminum and the "round" warmth the brass hoops gave it. It's pretty darn compressed but then they were going for that 80's sound... a little to much for my taste, but I understand what he was trying to do at least.

Last edited:

Quai34

Reaction score
The sound is good, did you use just the microphone of the camera?