Recommend a crash ride

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

... and a slew of others ...

spend some time and check out all that is out there. unreal selection these days

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
GL think the OP wants an 18 or 19.....20 you may as well play bigger coffee shops perhaps the bean factory itself ;)
thread premise thought was small-er ride..

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't choose 18" just because it's small. The smaller sizes tend to sound higher and perform differently. 19" is the smallest I'd go for a one-cymbal-gig ride. I do like some 18" crash/ride types but only as a secondary cymbal.
If you like 18", look at the Agop 1982 Mel Lewis, Dream Contact, and some Mehmet/Masterworks/Turkish trad. crashes, these are the ones I own.
I also like the 19" A Avedis, not sure how rare the heavier ones are, or if some 18" are heavy enough to be used as a ride.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a small kit for softer gigs at smaller venues (think small bar or coffee shop). I'm liking the idea of a crash/ride, probably 18" to go with this kit. I bought a Dream Vintage Bliss 18" crash ride which is nice, but it's not really the sound I'm looking for.

Of course it has to crash well, but also has to ride great too. I'm thinking something light with great stick articulation and a soft soothing ride sound.

I don't really want to break the bank on it, maybe $200 or less. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
How do you feel about this one? Agop traditional crash that I’ve used in several one cymbal gigs as a crash ride. Would let it go for $200 plus ship, would also trade for a 50’s 18” A that’s a more dedicated crash.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a small kit for softer gigs at smaller venues (think small bar or coffee shop). I'm liking the idea of a crash/ride, probably 18" to go with this kit. I bought a Dream Vintage Bliss 18" crash ride which is nice, but it's not really the sound I'm looking for.

Of course it has to crash well, but also has to ride great too. I'm thinking something light with great stick articulation and a soft soothing ride sound.

I don't really want to break the bank on it, maybe $200 or less. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Pretty much any band cymbal.
Hands down, the BEST crash ride you'll ever use.
Its not so much the sound quality, but the characteristics.
Play it like a ride with the tip of the stick and it'll "ride" until you knock the stand over, but a gentle swipe of the stick's shoulder and it gains this really nice crash.
Really amazing "Jekyl & Hyde" characteristic.
If you want specifics, the cymbal I noticed those characteristics on was an 18" A. Zildjian Viennese Tone Symphonic Cymbal....I'm thinking a 20" ZMAC would work really well, too.

Elvis

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A 50's Zildjian A at 19" (1700-1900 gm) is pretty close in sound to the 1950's 20s. I agree that the 18's are not easy to find that work for both a crash and ride.....1450-1575 gm works fairly well. I have an 18" trans stamp at 1580 gm and I think it could do darn good job as that small ride/crash. But at 1425-1500 it might do better.

Last edited:

cdrummer

Reaction score
The Zildjian 18" uptown ride is made for exactly this setting and sounds amazing. Great bell, articulate ride, and opens up nicely for crashes.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are not committed to B20 alloy, I suggest a 20 in Paiste 404 Ride. It fills both roles well, and can usually be bought for $100 or even less.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Meinl 21” Transition Ride.

Does everything you mentioned and then some.
If I could own only one cymbal, this is the one.

What It Is

Reaction score
Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis 19" crash/ride? Works extremely well for me in a similar environment you mention. Mine is around 1880g. Guitar and bass player like it, so there's that.

Nubs

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. I wound up going with a used Bosphorous Master Vintage 19" off Reverb. Looking forward to getting it!

Latest posts