Recommend a hardware bag that takes throne

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did a recording session the other day and realized I've too many bags so on the look out for a hardware bag that would accommodate my 15" wide throne top (tama XL round rider) and a set of tama classic lightweight hardware + stickbag and sneakers.
Any suggestions ?

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rides outside on 'top over the duffle'
SHORT OF AI...THERE'S NO OTHER WAY

(kidding!!

GigRigged 001.JPG GigRigged 002.JPG GigRigged 003.JPG GigRigged 004.JPG GigRigged 005.JPG

GigRigged 001.JPG

GigRigged 003.JPG

PEOPLE WILL INHABIT VENUS BEFORE A BETTER SOLUTION IS FOUND

:D

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
While bottom feeding at Goodwill the other day, I saw a leather double tennis racket bag. Separate sides with a shoe pocket on the bottom. Gave serious thought to using for a hardware bag. Might see if that will do what you want.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use an Ahead Armor 28” rolling bag. I can get 3 cymbal stands, hh and snare stand (all lightweight Canopus) my bass pedal, throne, sticks, floor tom legs, bass drum spurs and tom holder in it. Weighs about 35 lbs

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rides outside on 'top over the duffle'
SHORT OF AI...THERE'S NO OTHER WAY

(kidding!!

View attachment 497749 View attachment 497750 View attachment 497751 View attachment 497752 View attachment 497755

View attachment 497751 View attachment 497755

PEOPLE WILL INHABIT VENUS BEFORE A BETTER SOLUTION IS FOUND

:D
Joe, if you detach the throne's seat from its legs the legs can fit in with the rest of your hardware and the seat can go in your bass drum bag, with the soft side against the BD batter head. In fact, it looks like your hardware bag might be able to accommodate the seat as well. (Or is there some secret "drum karma" gained from keeping them attached during transit?) ;)

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use an Ahead Armor 28” rolling bag. I can get 3 cymbal stands, hh and snare stand (all lightweight Canopus) my bass pedal, throne, sticks, floor tom legs, bass drum spurs and tom holder in it. Weighs about 35 lbs
Like the sound of that. What diameter & depth is your throne top ?

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
I have the biggest Ahead Armor bag you can get
Kind of a monster at 48 in long but I fit my set of light stands (DW Ultralight, Yamaha 700 series, Tama classic) as well as a Roc n Soc Nitro throne. I put the throne seat flat at one end of the bag and that works. Only problem is the 13 lb (I think) throne base. Heaviest thing in the bag but they both fit. Still pining for a light aluminum base (that will hold a +200 lb guy) that ways like 5 lbs maybe. A guy can dream right?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the biggest Ahead Armor bag you can get
Kind of a monster at 48 in long but I fit my set of light stands (DW Ultralight, Yamaha 700 series, Tama classic) as well as a Roc n Soc Nitro throne. I put the throne seat flat at one end of the bag and that works. Only problem is the 13 lb (I think) throne base. Heaviest thing in the bag but they both fit. Still pining for a light aluminum base (that will hold a +200 lb guy) that ways like 5 lbs maybe. A guy can dream right?
I'm 200+ myself and I wouldn't trust an aluminum throne to hold my girth for very long. However, this sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising entrepreneur to create a lightweight throne with a super-lightweight carbon-fiber base.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, if you detach the throne's seat from its legs the legs can fit in with the rest of your hardware and the seat can go in your bass drum bag, with the soft side against the BD batter head. In fact, it looks like your hardware bag might be able to accommodate the seat as well. (Or is there some secret "drum karma" gained from keeping them attached during transit?) ;)
definitely Secret Karma.....Used seat..acquired used.... ..top don't come off!! lol.... there's no set-screw nutthin'... lol Perma-seat! and I isn't 'messing with momma Nature!

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
definitely Secret Karma.....Used seat..acquired used.... ..top don't come off!! lol.... there's no set-screw nutthin'... lol Perma-seat! and I isn't 'messing with momma Nature!
What drum bags are those Joe ? they look very well padded.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a proper reply but I use the Tama throne bag and then the super small Tama hardware bag that comes with the Classic hardware set. Also sold seperately. I also throw my stick bag in the throne bag.

The throne bag can also be used as a snare bag plus stand.

BFCB3323-8F64-4E21-A9B9-B9803D434742.jpeg

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the sound of that. What diameter & depth is your throne top ?
It is 16” across at the widest point. The tractor style seat is 4” thick if you just count the padding and 8” if you count the mounting hardware. It matches the curve of the top of the case nicely.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do as well. Highly recommended.

I also use a small single braced gibraltar throne stand with a large pork pie saddle thronee. The throne bases they sell with roc n socs etc weigh as much as the rest of my hardware.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Ludwig Classics in 1990 I got Tuxedo bags for all seven of them. Over time the foam padding inside the fabric shells of three of the bags (both 26" bass drum bags and the 7" snare bag) had completely disintegrated, leaving only the fabric. I first noticed this in the year 2000, 10 years after I got them. I'm sure this was caused by the smoggy atmosphere here in Southern California (smog contains chemicals that destroy foam), but I think it's interesting that it hasn't happened to any of the tom tom bags, even though I bought them all at the same time. I'm hoping that the Ahead bags I got for my Legacy Maples in 2013 fare better — so far they're all intact.

Edit: After thinking about it a little while, I think I know what happened. When not in use I nested the Tuxedo tom bags inside one another and then inside the bass drum bags, so the tom bags were not directly exposed to the atmosphere to nearly the degree that the bass drum bags were. The snare bag was inside one of the bass drum bags, but not nested inside any other bags. They spent most of their time inside a detached garage with no heat or air conditioning, set back at least 50 feet from the street. My Ahead bags (as well as my Classic kit inside its Tuxedo bags) are now stored in my drum room closet inside my home.

Last edited:

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, will that bag fit a big saddle type throne?

Per the OPs request, I currently use a PR bag (I think the 36") and I pretty easily fit hardware for a 4-5 piece kit + 2-3 cymbals + stick bag + my big sound seat throne top. It's heavier than it needs to be though, I'm over it, so wouldn't mind downsizing to two smaller bags.

Not a proper reply but I use the Tama throne bag and then the super small Tama hardware bag that comes with the Classic hardware set. Also sold seperately. I also throw my stick bag in the throne bag.

The throne bag can also be used as a snare bag plus stand.

View attachment 497801