Recommend a Modest Crash

Maggot

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my cymbals right now, which are a set of thin 60s A hats and a Sabian 18" Monarch crash/ride that I play with a Breakbeats kit. The hats are pretty dark and the Monarch is fairly dry, with a restrained, darkish wash and a quick bash-y crash. All I'm looking for right now is a crash that opens up a bit softer to add to the melange. I'm looking for something fairly dark that doesn't have too much sustain, around 16". The only dedicated crash I have right now is an 18" Soultone Vintage, which sounds excellent in its own right, but is way too loud and bright to fit in. Even a 14" might work if it doesn't sound too splashy.

Maggot

Reaction score
I feel oddly intrigued by this, which is up on Reverb, undoubtedly for more than it's worth.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste 900 16". Not to bright nor to dark and it wont break the bank whether you get it new or used:

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I've recently acquired a 20" Meinl medium crash. For a 20" it opens up very softly and you have to really mean it if you want it to roar, which lets it sit back in the mix. It's also somewhat dark with a complex wash. I suspect that the smaller versions would give you what you want, if you like the tone of these Meinls.

Maggot

Reaction score
Paiste 900 16". Not to bright nor to dark and it wont break the bank whether you get it new or used:
I think that 900 sounds great, but it will be too loud. It'll be going with a set of thin, old, quiet A hats, a Sabian Monarch crash played mostly as a ride and a Breakbeats kit, played in a living room and living room-sized club. Cutting through is not really on the agenda.

It is pleasingly dark. My Soultone sounds sophisticated like that (albeit with longer sustain), but it's still too much.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that 900 sounds great, but it will be too loud. It'll be going with a set of thin, old, quiet A hats, a Sabian Monarch crash played mostly as a ride and a Breakbeats kit, played in a living room and living room-sized club. Cutting through is not really on the agenda.

It is pleasingly dark. My Soultone sounds sophisticated like that (albeit with longer sustain), but it's still too much.
Cool!
I'm sure you'll find the right one. Just keep looking. Cymbal searching is fun! I've got a Soultone 18" that's got the same issue. It's dark but you hit it and the sound never goes away Lol!!

Maggot

Reaction score
When I get a chance, I'm gonna go to my local drum shop, which rocks, and they're likely to have something. When I was looking for a ride, they had at least 3 to choose from used that would have met my needs. Plus they offer reasonable trade-in value, and I can generally afford most things there that don't say "K" on them.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I have a 16 & 18 K Custom Fast Crashes. They get in, explode, they get out just as fast. I love them. The 18" K Custom Fast Crash is my 2nd favorite cymbal I own.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bosphorus New Orleans #1

Paiste Dark Energy $$$ #2

K Custom Session fast crash #3

Dream Bliss #4

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my cymbals right now, which are a set of thin 60s A hats and a Sabian 18" Monarch crash/ride that I play with a Breakbeats kit. The hats are pretty dark and the Monarch is fairly dry, with a restrained, darkish wash and a quick bash-y crash. All I'm looking for right now is a crash that opens up a bit softer to add to the melange. I'm looking for something fairly dark that doesn't have too much sustain, around 16". The only dedicated crash I have right now is an 18" Soultone Vintage, which sounds excellent in its own right, but is way too loud and bright to fit in. Even a 14" might work if it doesn't sound too splashy.
I bought a 16" Istanbul Agop Turk crash-ride... seems to do the trick for a sort of understated "tah" crash that's here and gone quickly.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Zildjian A or A Custom Fast crash.
I have a 17" Custom which does exactly what you want - great cymbal. As is the 14" A that came with my City pack. Very cool little crash, not splashy at all.
If you want it even darker and drier - Sabian Encore Series Jack DeJohnette Signature crash in 16". Hard to find but usually cheap.

Maggot

Reaction score
I got a regular 16" A Custom Crash used after trying out a bunch of cymbals. If I'd been going for strictly what I'd described in the OP, there was a K Custom Fast Crash that was also nice, but the A Custom seemed like it had a bit more headroom to fit in with the Monarch, wasn't too bright or sustainy, and brought the whole project in under budget. A really nice sleeper that I couldn't afford was the new Sabian AAX Thin Crash.

Last edited:

Maggot

Reaction score
I have a 16 & 18 K Custom Fast Crashes. They get in, explode, they get out just as fast. I love them. The 18" K Custom Fast Crash is my 2nd favorite cymbal I own.
The A Custom didn't work because it had a really clear note that was exactly a major third higher than my ride, and it drove me crazy. It wasn't the kind of thing you can ignore. I exchanged it for a 16" K Custom Fast Crash. It's a little more contrast than I might otherwise be looking for, because both my hats and ride sound like they've been buried under muck and mire while the Fast Crash is crystal clear. But it sounds great and is really fun to play. I noticed that it's so thin and the bell is so small that you can hear the muting if you put a top felt on your cymbal stand.

Latest posts