Recommend a Modest Crash

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any used and cheap Zildjian from A or K lines. I’d get 18”. But stay thin if you’re wanting darker. Far as As, you’d probably get darker tones with a vintage one, if not too heavy.

Maggot

Reaction score
Any used and cheap Zildjian from A or K lines. I’d get 18”. But stay thin if you’re wanting darker. Far as As, you’d probably get darker tones with a vintage one, if not too heavy.
Ended up getting a 16" K. It could use a couple decades of patina, but it sounds pretty good. Next up is a 17" - 20" and crusty or dry, but I'm set for now. 18" would have likely been too loud for my current ride (Sabian Monarch 18" - Sounds like an A with coat of paint over it, but in a good way).

Johnny K

Reaction score
The A Custom didn't work because it had a really clear note that was exactly a major third higher than my ride, and it drove me crazy. It wasn't the kind of thing you can ignore. I exchanged it for a 16" K Custom Fast Crash. It's a little more contrast than I might otherwise be looking for, because both my hats and ride sound like they've been buried under muck and mire while the Fast Crash is crystal clear. But it sounds great and is really fun to play. I noticed that it's so thin and the bell is so small that you can hear the muting if you put a top felt on your cymbal stand.
Mine is a bit subdued now. I've been playing it with an 8" Wuhan splash mounted upside down on top of it with a thin Zildjian felt between them. Oddly enough, Not everything stamped with a K is the greatest. In fact im gonna go on a limb here and say that my Wuhan 10" splash sounds better than the 10" K Splash I replaced it with. The K splash is more gong-gy than the Wuhan. Go figure.

Maggot

Reaction score
Mine is a bit subdued now. I've been playing it with an 8" Wuhan splash mounted upside down on top of it with a thin Zildjian felt between them. Oddly enough, Not everything stamped with a K is the greatest. In fact im gonna go on a limb here and say that my Wuhan 10" splash sounds better than the 10" K Splash I replaced it with. The K splash is more gong-gy than the Wuhan. Go figure.
I really love that Wuhan sound, but I play bass in a band where the drummer only uses one cymbal - a Wuhan crash ride - so I get quite enough of it. The Fast Crash is sounding pretty great. I's even rideable because it has so little sustain, and when you give it a good thwack, it's like lightening.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really love that Wuhan sound, but I play bass in a band where the drummer only uses one cymbal - a Wuhan crash ride - so I get quite enough of it. The Fast Crash is sounding pretty great. I's even rideable because it has so little sustain, and when you give it a good thwack, it's like lightening.
Wuhan makes good stuff. People put them down unfairly. It's that old stigma that they carry but they've cleaned up their act. All my cymbals are Turkish but when it come's to my splashes, I choose Wuhan. They sound better than any of the other expensive ones I've had and they are dirt cheap.

Johnny K

Reaction score
You should really get the 18" one. It's even better than the 16" and does the same thing. I keep mine up and to the left of my K Customs Dry Ride. They complement each other very well playing fast swing and blues. You cannot crash a K Custom Dry Ride. Here is the best clip of that explosive 18" Fast Crash. You can also here the Wuhan 8 & 10" splashes. They sit well with those Zildjian K's. The hats are vintage '60's Avedis Zildjian.

http://instagr.am/p/BsUOG9bgc0o/

Last edited:

Maggot

Reaction score
Wuhan makes good stuff. People put them down unfairly. It's that old stigma that they carry but they've cleaned up their act. All my cymbals are Turkish but when it come's to my splashes, I choose Wuhan. They sound better than any of the other expensive ones I've had and they are dirt cheap.
The crashes and rides that I've heard do have a pretty distinctive sound, though. Aggressive and trashy. I tried some out at the store recently.

You should really get the 18" one. It's even better than the 16" and does the same thing. I keep mine up and to the left of my K Customs Dry Ride. They complement each other very well playing fast swing and blues. You cannot crash a K Custom Dry Ride. Here is the best clip of that explosive 18" Fast Crash. You can also here the Wuhan 8 & 10" splashes. They sit well with those Zildjian K's. The hats are vintage '60's Avedis Zildjian.

Sounding good! I gotta swear off cymbals for a little while. My entire setup is pretty small right now. 18" would have been a little better, probably, but this will do. It's balancing with a Vintage A hats, an 18" Sabian crash ride, and a Breakbeats kit with an Acrolite, so it'll do fine. It's all of a piece. A larger, crustier crash and/or a dedicated ride may be on the agenda for later, but I've always gone for minimal setups.

Johnny K

Reaction score
The crashes and rides that I've heard do have a pretty distinctive sound, though. Aggressive and trashy. I tried some out at the store recently.

Sounding good! I gotta swear off cymbals for a little while. My entire setup is pretty small right now. 18" would have been a little better, probably, but this will do. It's balancing with a Vintage A hats, an 18" Sabian crash ride, and a Breakbeats kit with an Acrolite, so it'll do fine. It's all of a piece. A larger, crustier crash and/or a dedicated ride may be on the agenda for later, but I've always gone for minimal setups.
Thank you! My wife says I need to do the same. She says I have enough cymbals. (says the woman with 3 upright basses) She is so wrong. You can never have too many cymbals anymore than you can have too many guitars. I think however, I have more cymbals than guitars. at this point. And I need to ditch some of both.

Maggot

Reaction score
Thank you! My wife says I need to do the same. She says I have enough cymbals. (says the woman with 3 upright basses) She is so wrong. You can never have too many cymbals anymore than you can have too many guitars. I think however, I have more cymbals than guitars. at this point. And I need to ditch some of both.
What a blessing for a drummer to be married to a woman who has a bunch of upright basses!

My problem is that I play guitar and bass as well and have no storage room whatsoever (I rock in my living room, which has cruddy acoustics) so I can be moderate in accumulating any one thing and still be spending tons of money and drowning in crap. Of course if I got rid of a couple of snares and a guitar cabinet and bought some more cymbals, I'd actually have more space!

Last edited:

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Ok, so I'm coming to your house for the food, I've got drums and cymbals here, the food is what I'm after. :)

REF

Reaction score
Wuhan. Stagg. Both inexpensive but, B20 bronze. You can't go wrong. I've come to appreciate them a lot. The Wuhan are more "trashy" than the Stagg, unit to unit. Both on the darker side, though Stagg is far closer to "regular" cymbals out there, than Wuhan, meaning a more Western sound, than Middle east, or far east.

Latest posts