header.nohb.html

Recommend a ride for me...

remhed

Reaction score
I need to spend some time on that site that has all the sound clips of cymbals for sale (can someone remind me that site?). I'm looking to get a new ride and thought i'd reach out here for some feedback!

I currently play mostly americana to alt-rock.
I play a four piece Gretsch renown maple kit.
Current typical cymbal setup is all Sabian:
14" HHX Evolution Brilliant > I LOVE these hats and they are the starting point for any cymbal mixing I do
18" AAX Stage Crash
20" AAX XPlosion Crash
22" AA Bash Ride

I do not really like this ride. The bell is weak and in general the cymbal is way to "wet" / "washy" / to much sustain however you want to put it. I need a better bell and something that truly rides well like a standard rock song would call for.

You can tell I like big cymbals! These crashes sound great and they project well live.

I don't want something too dry though. Given the style of music I do at times want to / need to bash on the ride. I'm trying to avoid adding another cymbal to my setup for that but might find I need to do that...

I think I want to stick with Sabian, but I don't have a problem mixing brands.

Comment away!

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HHX/HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. I use a HH RBDR and crash on it all the time, even recording. It sounds a little too heavy to crash from right behind it, but every time I've heard it through a mic/in the audience it's a fantastic wash. HHX RBDR are a bit washier from what I've heard of them, so it sounds like it might be up your alley.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Hmmm, I own the 21" Bash Ride and love it for many "rock" settings, it gets a lot of use.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste 602 medium ride. I've been waiting for paiste to release the 22" version. Mine's in the mail. These do everything and you can crash em!

Last edited by a moderator:

remhed

Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Hmmm, I own the 21" Bash Ride and love it for many "rock" settings, it gets a lot of use.
If you want, listen to this song:

It sounds ok when riding, but the bell is just not there...

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In keeping with your theme, the AA Raw bell Dry ride should have better articulation than your Bash ride. You might even like the Rock ride, though it might be heavier than what you want. Looking at Sabian's website, I'm surprised they don't offer much in the way of rides larger than 21"

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The recommendations of a Raw Bell ride seem odd to me, given that the Bash ride already has a raw bell, but whatever. The bell on my 21" AA Bash exhibits plenty of cutting volume when needed, but I try not to overuse the bell in the context of the music I play now.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know. If I was you and was wanting what you are describing, I'd stay away from anything with "dry" in the name.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone here has a thread going for selling a 23" Zildjian Sweet Ride. 250 shipped. Sounds like a good deal.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
supershifter2 said:
paiste 2002 24" ride
Ahhhh....hell yes!!!! But be forewarned.....you may end up converting all of your setup to Paiste's :)
Another great selection is the Paiste Signature ride. I have a 20" medium that I use to pour over my blue crab an boiled shrimp dinners :laughing6:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny, I don't think weak bell when I think Sabian because I love HHXs with their magnificent oversized, unlathed bells. But he ride I own that "truly rides well like a standard rock song would call for" is a 20" Zildjian K Ride (yeah, the one just called "Ride"). I played a blue label 602 flat ride for 25 years. When I gravitated towards a "standard" ride a few years ago I wanted exactly that, a ride that wasn't too anything, sounded beautiful to my ears and could do the subtlest of ballads, a standard rock song & bad-ass wall of sound stoner rock (with a twist of french swing, klezmer, glazed in funk then run through the recording gear of every freak in town). It's not over-washy, not over-pingy, isn't too loud or quiet, seems to work in any key you throw at it & plays nice with my old A's & HHXs. After a few years on the stand I totally get why they just called it RIDE.

You can hear it on the choruses, solos

Here:

jbmartel

Reaction score
Agree about the 20" Zildjian K Ride, not over-washy, not over-pingy.
Mine had also a great bell.

tommy stixx

Reaction score
This is a great topic. I am looking at piecing together a Paiste setup myself.

I'm starting with the 16" Black Big Beat hats, probably doing traditional red 2002 crashes. The ride though... any suggestions?

I am looking at a used 20" 2002 Dry Ride on Reverb now. Does anyone have experience with that?

I don't like a washy ride but I do use it like a crash/bash on certain tunes. Play covers - from Chili Peppers to Stevie Wonder.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
cplueard said:
HHX/HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. I use a HH RBDR and crash on it all the time, even recording. It sounds a little too heavy to crash from right behind it, but every time I've heard it through a mic/in the audience it's a fantastic wash. HHX RBDR are a bit washier from what I've heard of them, so it sounds like it might be up your alley.
The 21" Sabian HH Raw Bell Ride is my all time favorite ride!

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure how much bell you need. That video is likely the product of the audio recording with the ride volume.

Sabian 22" AAX Metal ride should solve you though.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Took a video of myself at my last gig using my 21" HH RBDR. I've got ride, crash, and bell in this clip so you can hear how it sounds.

They were making the drinks super strong that night so if I look a little sloshed it's mostly because I am. Never drank there before so I'm gonna have to be careful next time.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
Considering what you have, I'd say a 21" AAX Stage would be appropriate. Brilliant, of course.