Recommend me a basic pedal..

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned and hated my Pearl P-1000 since 2006ish. I bought it new. I've owned a few other pedals since then and somehow I ended up with only this one. Its chain driven. I've tried every possible combination of settings and tensions on it and it has never felt right to me. It's the bane of my existence.

I had a DW 9000 chain drive for a while and I liked the feeling of it, but I was broke and needed the money, so I sold it a couple of years ago.

Anyways, I'm fed up with this P-1000 and I want to get something different but don't have a ton of cash right now.
What kind of basic pedal would you guys recommend from any brand that I can find for $40-$50 used?

I'm thinking like something along the lines of the Yamaha FP7210, DW 2000, Tama Classic or other Tama. Seriously, nothing fancy. I'm even open to Vintage.
Camco pedals always intrigued me.

Thanks!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage Camco pedal that I bought off eBay years ago. I can't recall what I paid for it but it was practically nothing. I will say that it is a fantastic pedal in feel and function. I loaned it to my son and he loves it as well and it gets gigged to death. We've never had a problem with it outside of the original Spring failed and we replaced it with no further problems since. I would highly recommend that pedal if you can find one.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before I read your thread, first thing I thought of, based on the title, was a Pearl Pedal.
They are solid and not too fancy.
I would say the Tama Iron Cobra as well.
Very common and reliable.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a basic Pearl pedal for a spare several years ago. Can't recall the model number; it's the lowest one in the line with a base plate. Bought it new at GC on clearance for $49. It's become my favorite pedal as my DW 5000 and others remain in the case.

But if you don't like Pearl, definitely try to find a Tama/Camco pedal. Smooth.

GeeDeeEmm

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha FP6110A- strap drive, no frills and will last forever. New ones are on EBAY for under $50 and you can find used ones for $30. I love it and even if you don't its so dependable it will always be useful as a backup.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have suggested a basic Pearl or Yamaha pedal. Build quality and design is up there with both companies.
Feel is a matter of preference/playing style, you need to find out for yourself what it was that you didn't like about that Pearl (I'd say anybody should be able to play on such a mainstream pedal). Maybe it was a matter of mass rather than mechanics/adjustment. You can't change the mass of the pedal plate/cam (some high-end pedals might even offer that feature?)

I actually got two Tama Camco pedals off of ebay, as they were so cheap (about ten years back), and I used one to clean up the other. The teeth of the cam of one had worn out, this is the only thin I would watch out for, as it creates slop and clicking noise. Hard to see in pics.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with the Camco. Grabbed one for like $60 about 4 years ago and it's been kickin' fine since.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have a dw 7000 that I've been playing for the past 15-20 years. Its chain driven, built like a tank and has never let me down. Ive never had to do anything to it. And I play heel up and have a heavy foot. I bought it brand new for $120. So I imagine you could probably find a good used one
around the price you're looking for.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I like & use these two

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Yamaha FP6110A- strap drive, no frills and will last forever. New ones are on EBAY for under $50 and you can find used ones for $30. I love it and even if you don't its so dependable it will always be useful as a backup.
This.
Found two of them for 25 bucks each, perfect. Much prefer them to chain drives.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like & use these two

You like a smaller pedal?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have suggested a basic Pearl or Yamaha pedal. Build quality and design is up there with both companies.
Feel is a matter of preference/playing style, you need to find out for yourself what it was that you didn't like about that Pearl (I'd say anybody should be able to play on such a mainstream pedal). Maybe it was a matter of mass rather than mechanics/adjustment. You can't change the mass of the pedal plate/cam (some high-end pedals might even offer that feature?)

I actually got two Tama Camco pedals off of ebay, as they were so cheap (about ten years back), and I used one to clean up the other. The teeth of the cam of one had worn out, this is the only thin I would watch out for, as it creates slop and clicking noise. Hard to see in pics.
Yeah, I know. I should understand my problem better before I ask, but I've played the hell out of it and it's fine. I just know there's something out there that will feel better.
The Tama/Camco pedals are the ones to get? Not a 60's Camco?

Also, wasn't the Camco the father of both Tama and DW lineage?

cplueard

Reaction score
If you like longboards the PDP concept is a smooth and super simple pedal. I'm a bit fan myself.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So easy to find quality cheap pedals for $25-$50 these days. Recently, I've been tripping over Tama/Camco's for $30-$40 each. I already have 3. Great pedals. I agree with the 80's and 90's Yamaha pedals that can be found cheap and work very well, even the "lowly" 500 series. And even today's Tama 900 Iron Cobra glide pedals can be found in nice used shape for $50-$65. I wouldn't leave Pearls out of this equation either - their 80's and 90's pedals are pretty stout.

Latest posts