Recommend me a snare drum - pretty please?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
TAMA starphonic aluminum! Really the idealized aluminum sound. The guys at Donn Bennett’s drum shop prefer it over any other aluminum drum and they play/own a lot of drums.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
So. My Birthday is next week, and I feel like treating myself to a snare drum. Not to mention that G.A.S. is once again rearing its ugly head.
I'm primarily looking at new snares. Metal shell, 5x14 or 5.5x14. Leaning towards Aluminum, but not really looking for a Supra or an Acrolite, per se. Bronze would be my second choice followed by Brass. I'm replacing a Gretsch Hammered Brass snare that I'm not quite jiving with. My style of music is primarily Rock, occasionally some Blues thrown in. My budget is around $500, but preferably lower than that.

My current considerations:
-Yamaha Recording Custom 5.5x14 Aluminum
-Yamaha Recording Custom 5.5x14 Brass
-Pearl Sensitone 5x14 Aluminum
-Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator 5.5x14 Bronze (Seemingly hard to find)

My current snare line-up:
-Pork Pie 5.5x14 Maple
-Doc Sweeney 5.5x14 Solid Cherry
-Tama SLP 6.5x14 Dynamic Kapur
-Ludwig 6.5x14 Supraphonic (Aluminum)
-Ludwig 6.5x14 Black Beauty

Hit me with your suggestions!
If you ever run across an ad for a Ludwig who's model # is "LM305", you might want to consider it.
The 300 series drums were part of the Rocker series, but the 305 used a thin BRONZE shell.
Once upon a time you could get one for $99.99, new (coulda, shoulda, woulda).
They're actually a pretty nice sounding drum and the used prices are not all that bad. Definately within your $500 budget.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
A 15x5 Supralite or a piccolo [plus] a nice ride, like a Hammer

Last edited:

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
Different path here as well.... My favorite, the Omar Hakim signature from Pearl! 13 x 5. Tune it any way you want... It becomes whatever drum you want. Has body at lower tuning, sounds deeper than it is, tunes up high and sounds like a piccolo. Amazingly versatile and underrated!

Slingwig26

Reaction score
So. My Birthday is next week, and I feel like treating myself to a snare drum. Not to mention that G.A.S. is once again rearing its ugly head.
I'm primarily looking at new snares. Metal shell, 5x14 or 5.5x14. Leaning towards Aluminum, but not really looking for a Supra or an Acrolite, per se. Bronze would be my second choice followed by Brass. I'm replacing a Gretsch Hammered Brass snare that I'm not quite jiving with. My style of music is primarily Rock, occasionally some Blues thrown in. My budget is around $500, but preferably lower than that.

-Pork Pie 5.5x14 Maple

How about the new Rogers Dynasonic?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score

-Pork Pie 5.5x14 Maple

So, what did you decide to get?

richardh253

Reaction score
WFLiii Drums 6.5 x14 Snare - Maple, a fine drum with legacy behind it - vintage shell construction + modern hardware. Great go-to drum. And Bill3 is a good guy.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved my steel Sensitone. High-quality instrument, there.
Honestly, an aluminum drum from any of the Maker's listed would be a keeper. Tama, Ludwig, Pearl. Are you buying new?
Have you checked out Inde's aluminum offering?

I had an Acrolite for a while, but I kind of tired of it. Since then, I've wanted to try Slingerland's aluminum snare. Have yet to do so. I bet they're really nice sounding, versatile drums:

10 Lug:

8 Lug:

Heck, at those prices, you could try a Slingerland and something else out as well. Do a side-by-side so you can actually compare.

scpdpdrummer

Reaction score
I may get horse laughed for this suggestion, but a while back, I bought a 8x14 black magic snare drum. It’s a black nickel over brass shell. I replaced the chrome triple flange hoops with dfd black nickel cast hoops and replaced the snares with the wider 40 ct snare wires and ribbon instead of the factory strings. I also replaced the top head with a remo coated ambassador. The factory head is basically the same head, but i wanted to keep it in pristine shape if I ever sold it. It has a nice thick “rock-ish” sound to my ear. But it is a loud drum too. Only thing that I wish was different was the throw off. Kinda cheapy imo, and was thinking about replaceing it with a p88 kit but decided not to fool with it. Like I said, just a suggestion. Good luck with your next toy!!!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Figure out what kinds of sounds you want to make. Find recordings with the sound you like and go from there. And don't spend money duplicating a sound you already have.

scpdpdrummer

Reaction score
Btw. I forgot to mention, I saw a sensitone drum shell on the reverb website, if you like building your own custom drum. You could probably source out everything from the dfd parts website. To me, it would Be kinda cool to have a customized drum no one else has.

nylontip

Reaction score
These are all very good snares, but for under 200. the 6.5x14 Ludwig Supralite is hands down one of the best I've heard and extremely fun to play because of it's wide tunnings.
It's hard to believe at this price point, a snare can sound sooooo good.
The 4x14 is a sleeper too. ;) (Ludwig discontinued it because the hoops hit the throw when tightened too much)

Drumskillz

Reaction score
Of those you are considering, I would go with the Sensitone...although I would prefer a 6.5 inch depth. It's a great dry sounding aluminum snare with a killer mid-range cut.

My favorite snares are my Pork Pies. I have four of them and I go back to them again and again and again. Bill and his team have the touch imo.

Christian C.

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, what did you decide to get?
So, I pulled the trigger on that Montineri Cast Aluminum snare only to have my money refunded two days later and told the drum had sold locally. They forgot to take the listing down. So I'm pretty bummed to say the least. The search continues...

Latest posts