Recommendations for beginner song sheet music (hal leonard etc)

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for this sort of thing

This one ok or can you think of any other good ones with a good selection on them ?

Thanks

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
The one BIG problem I see with books like this is by the time they go through all the hoops they need to in order to finally be published, most of the songs are outdated for their target buyers (young beginners). Looking at the titles in that book there are only 1 or two that a young beginner might have heard of. Kids today want to play what they hear on the radio NOW, not what was on the radio before they were born.

There are several web-sites that put out "sheet music" for today's music, HOWEVER, when I have looked at them they either have quite a few mistakes in them, or are written using some made up kind of notation. Research them carefully before using them with students.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Christopher

Its actually for myself and i'm not fussy about what tunes they are,,, I just want some practice on watching the bars go by in a musical setting.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well you're in the right neighborhood with the Hal Leonard stuff. Another publisher to look into is Alfred.
Since it's for you, I'd just grab some titles with songs you already know/like or always wanted to learn and go for it.

I've got a half-dozen of these kind of titles & think these are pretty good tools that are reasonably priced, and many have play-along tracks by cover bands included in the package (yea!!!... no band BS).
  • I like to refer to them when I'm having trouble figuring out what the drummer is doing/can't quite "hear" what the drum part is.
  • I also like to play the actual artist recoding and then follow along while reading (w/o playing) the transcript to help force my eyes forward/get my eye more accustomed moving on the page.
  • Also they can serve as reference if you're trying to transcribe other drum parts.... "Hmmm... how do you write this figure?" or "How do simplify this part/passage/beat that I've written out?"

bernard

Reaction score
Thanks Christopher

Its actually for myself and i'm not fussy about what tunes they are,,, I just want some practice on watching the bars go by in a musical setting.
If you want to gain some "real world"-like experience in reading drum charts and playing along to different styles of music, I can highly recommend the Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials books and playalongs. (Haven't seen the DVDs, but I hear these are good as well.)
The Igoe drum charts shows a lot of concepts that you will actually encounter on a real gig, not at all like the note-by-note transcriptions found in magazines and most other books.

Latest posts