Recommendations for cleaning Gretsch Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finishes?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m bumping this subject up because I’m about to take possession of a lacquer finish drum set made by an older company called Darwin who was out in the 90s a predecessor to the new Fibes company that was positioned in Austin Texas. The drums are a blue see-through lacquer or some type of finish so I would imagine that Martin guitar polish would also work well on these drums. Other than a few dings it looks like a pretty nice drum set and I’m looking forward to cleaning them up. Any other opinions regarding cleaning them are appreciated.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m bumping this subject up because I’m about to take possession of a lacquer finish drum set made by an older company called Darwin who was out in the 90s a predecessor to the new Fibes company that was positioned in Austin Texas. The drums are a blue see-through lacquer or some type of finish so I would imagine that Martin guitar polish would also work well on these drums. Other than a few dings it looks like a pretty nice drum set and I’m looking forward to cleaning them up. Any other opinions regarding cleaning them are appreciated.
wipe em down with a dry (well mine are satin not gloss) and get all the dust (new paint brush under the lug rod in the cracks -watch any old prev owner grease)
Get all the dust off- microfiber towel

might be all you need.
then you can (or not) think about carnuba polish waxes etc..

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a winnah! I believe you'll be enjoying Jasper shells with those. Martin polish would be a safe bet, agreed.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
We have a winnah! I believe you'll be enjoying Jasper shells with those. Martin polish would be a safe bet, agreed.
D61E4B8D-D9B4-452B-BFA4-BCDBBD808F5F.jpeg
BFDA3BE9-AAAD-4084-9D46-D5D85263241F.jpeg

Here’s a fast picture from the back of the car sizes are 20 inch bass 16 and 14 inch floor Toms as well as 10, 12 and 13 rack Toms. Unfortunately, as was often the case with this brand, no mounting hardware so I’ll be looking for something and I did have another post elsewhere asking about mounting hardware. I’ve been looking at the Inde stuff that fits on the lug mount space—prefer not to drill.
There’s some pitting on this hardware.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what they'll still sound- (they look it- rock solid. pretty groovy sizes too
'gonna need a snare drum yo' : D

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
so what they'll still sound- (they look it- rock solid. pretty groovy sizes too
'gonna need a snare drum yo' : D
I have a hammered bronze PDP snare which is a pretty cool snare. If it came to it I’d probably try to find something else but it sounds pretty good. Only issue is that I just realize that the bass drum is a 22 inch bass drum which was a tad disappointing because I was trying to get a progressive jazz type set up with a 20 but I’ll keep my eyes open for 20 in the meantime these are looking pretty good with this Martin Guitar Polish.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i believe they're one of the few that do..
Would never have guessed. Either way Pledge shouldn’t harm the finish. It will just make any repairs in the future complicated

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How so? Not that I’m considering a refinish.
It has silicone in it which adds extra shine and water resistance, but unfortunately is very difficult to completely remove from a surface once applied and interferes with the adherence of paint/ stain

Reaction score
I doubt Canopus uses nitro lacquer like Gretsch. For a poly finish Pledge works great
i believe they're one of the few that do..
Correct.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been using the Martin polish. It really shines up my nitro finish!
Me too. I wonder what it really is? I got it when I got my Martin guitar. I use it on my drums. The guitar shop said to spray it on the rag and not the guitar. So there's a pro-tip. lol.