header.nohb.html

Recommendations for hardware case

remhed

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a hardware case. My local stores don't have much stock so I'm stuck looking at pics and descriptions on line. I currently have a soft hardware bag. My biggest complaint with it is when I pick it up to carry it up/down stairs the stands dig into my legs through the bag.

I would want it for three cymbal stands, hi-hat (prefer to not have to take it apart to fit in a case), snare stand, bass pedal, some misc percussion. If it could also fit the throne that would be great, but not necessary.

Any opinions on the SKB mid side case?

Thanks,

Steve
Noblesville, In

thewedge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my hardware bag outside this weekend and burning it. Sorry, what a stupid idea ... No idea what came over me buying it. The small Humes and berg tilt roller thing was perfect. I'll look at the skb as well.

remhed

Reaction score
Well that Beato bag 36" is $154, and the SKB Mid sized case is 33" for $179, so not that much more... I just don't think that 36" let alone 33" is long enough. I'll have to measure the one I have. I think it would be closer to the 47" model of the Beato...

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have a large SKB case. I have had it for 10+ years. It's a great case. I don't like to break down my stands all the way. This case works perfect for that. All I have to do is remove the boom section, my HH stand fits with lowering the rod. I fit ALL my stands, pedals, rug, fan, etc..

IT's also a nice place to hid the bodies if need be....

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought a cooper countryman, I don't think my hardware case will fit, so I am looking for something a bit more streamlined also! I am pretty sure I want a hard case but want to be able to leave my stands intact. Does the skb fit the bill?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did was buy two bags over using just one. Yeah two things to carry but splitting the load between two bags instead of one heavy one makes a world of difference, even with wheels a heavy bag or case has to be lifted into the vehicle.

I use a photography stand bag for three cymbal stand and the hihat stand without breaking them down. Then I have a baseball bat bag for everthing else, two snare stands, throne base, stick bag and bass drum pedal. My only complaint is the photo bag is cheaply made, the onstage mic stand bags are better but are too long now for my taste wish I could find a heavy duty bag that is around 42" that isn't as expensive as the drum bags. Mic stand bags are about $20 but 50" long which makes them awkward to carry.

The one SKB case I do want is the long narrow one, their golf travel case is almost identical and can be found on your local craigslist sometimes cheap. Golfers will buy one for a trip and then sometimes it sits in their garage so they'll sale them off for $50-75... hopefully it doesn't get around to them that drummers would buy them...anything drum related seems to get a $50 hike on the price ;)

TXLawDawg

Reaction score
I use an SKB golf club case that I found used for cheap (like this one - http://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4814W-Deluxe-Golf-Travel/dp/B000A13PGA). I fit the following in it:

2 x DW 3000 double tom stands, 1 with an additional tom arm attachment for splash cymbals (I remove the SM934 boom arms and just fold the legs up)
2 x DW SM934 cymbal boom arms (not broken down, in the same positioned used when played)
2 x DW puppy bones
2 x DW puppy bones with SM912 boom arms (not broken down, in the same position used when played)
3 x floor tom legs
1 x DW 3000 snare stand (legs folded, basket folded over)
1 x DW 9000 three-leg hi hat stand (I fold up the base and take it apart although I wouldn't have to with the short rod - I just dont want to bend the rod)
1 x Pork Pie round throne (seat separated from base, bot fit inside case)

For a visual (I just got the Roc N Soc throne in the pic and haven't tried it in the case yet):

109D181C-5677-4443-B05D-80D18E974949_zpszhfjdeu4.jpg

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using a Gator/Protechtor 308W-EB molded hard case w/casters for local gigs. It's only 30x14x12, but holds a boom stand, 2 straight stands, snare stand, tom stand w/holder post + cymbal arm, floor tom legs, hi-hat stand, throne base, rug. Fits easily into my trunk.

I also have as larger Protection Racket hardware bag w/wheels 38x12x12 which I've dubbed "the body bag". It holds more steel, but can get quite heavy. I used it with a 6-pc. DW kit and always need someone to help me get it in and out of the car trunk.

And I have an Enduro 36x14x12 tilt-&-pull that is ridiculously heavy once loaded up, and requires assistance in lifting.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's not a hard shell case, and it's about $240, but I love my Ahead 48" Sled hardware case with wheels.

I also have a smaller SKB hard shell case for smaller gigs requiring less equipment.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
remhed said:
Well that Beato bag 36" is $154, and the SKB Mid sized case is 33" for $179, so not that much more... I just don't think that 36" let alone 33" is long enough. I'll have to measure the one I have. I think it would be closer to the 47" model of the Beato...
Beato makes a super long bag. Mine is 58". I use it because I hate collapsing stands. But you need a vehicle that has enough room for it....

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 48 inch Beato semi-rigid case, and gave that to my son. It was too floppy and very difficult for me to handle with my cranky back.

I replaced it with an Ahead semi-rigid case that works great. Has big rollers and a nice "skidplate" with a bottom handle for moving in and out of trunks, etc.

Seems very well made.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't beat two of the On-Stage bags for $60.
Fits right across the back seat floor in my car.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been using golf club cases for many years. They're easy to carry and are dirt cheap. I bought mine used at Goodwill and just removed the center dividers. Make sure you get a hard sided case.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a warwick rockbag, which is a bag attached to a metal frame stand with wheels. having just bought another case, I'd part with it for reasonable money if you're interested (I believe it's 48 inches tall so stands should fit within without folding up too much--and there are other pockets on the sides).

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AJ said it before I could: Golf bag hard cases. I have three, since I own 6 kits. But one is extremely heavy duty, similar to SKB. And like AJ, I got it at a thrift store for $5. It must have been a couple hundred new. Understand, we are not talking about a golf club bag, but the hard shell case the golf bag goes into, like on a plane. Every bag I ever tried did not last long, got ripped up or the zippers gave out, then it's back to GC or whatever to buy a new one. Haven't bought one in years. You can even use it for golf clubs too.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in the golf club SKB camp, could NOT be happier. I have a smaller one, roughly 12" diameter, can still get two cymbal, snare, throne and hi-hat (without taking it apart) stands plus misc. booms, pedals etc. Only thing I can't get in is the throne seat. Anyway, they are sturdy, have wheels and can be locked (unless you buy cheap like me - keys have long-since disappeared). I bet if you are patient, you can get one for under $50 - I found mine for $25 on craigslist couple years ago.