Recommendations for Ludwig BD Hoop Touch Up Paint

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf black paint with the approximate sheen/hue of 60s Luddy hoops? I'm sure they'll need a total repaint or replacement down the road but looking for a temporary cosmetic fix. Thanks!

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^^^Probably good for a quick overall jobby. I should have specified that I'm wanting to brush over gouges and flaked off areas.

woody1953

Reaction score
Brushed on paint doesn't fill gouges and chips any better than spray. Some just use a Sharpie to touch up until a full strip, fill and repaint.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah my first thought was sharpie but thought there might be something closer to that sheen in a hobby paint. Thanks. I'm probably way overthinking this.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the advice given above because I've done them on several hoops. A Sharpie does a fantastic job for little touchups. If it's too big of a job for a sharpie then a satin black spray can gets it done. It truly does look very good, and it's easy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A sharpie is okay depending on the size of your defects. I like to do spray cans of cheap glossy black ($1 at H.Depot) when I redo hoops. For small areas, I'd use painter's tape on your inlay, then shoot lightly from a distance (maybe 2') to get the paint on the areas and then you can add more or go in closer if needed. [When I do a full resto, I take out the inlay, lightly sand then fully paint them.]

Latest posts