Recommendations for recording interface?

chappy

Reaction score
I’m wanting to record demos and drum tracks for my various bands in my home. Hit me with your recommendations for an audio recording interface for Windows 10 under $400.

thanks.
Chappy

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just got a Focusrite Scarlett that sounds great and is easy to use. It’s only the 2 seater, though. With your budget you could afford the 4 channel I’m pretty sure.

EDIT... Just checked and the 8i8 Scarlett is $400 at Sweetwater. Should give you everything you want.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That has 8 inputs, not 18. To get 18 you need to add more hardware. I recommend the Roland Studio Capture (but it's over $800).
I have a Roland Studio Capture. It does great for drums when a lot of mics are being used.
You might be able to find it used for quite a bit less.

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how many inputs you want. For $500, you can get the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, which has 8 inputs. I love mine. In general, the Scarlett series are very nice...easy to use, sound great, and affordable.

owr

Reaction score
I got a Focusrite Clarett 4 pre a year or so ago that I really like. The pre-amps are a bit better (Supposedly) than the Scarlet, hence the higher price, but can recommend the company and hardware. If you're open to used and a bit older technology and need more pre-amps, I have a motu 896HD with 8 pre-amps that someone could steal from me right now. My buddy paid $800 or so for it about 10 years ago, then upgraded to UA gear a few years later and sold it to me for $400. It's sat basically un-used in my office since, works great, older firewire interface. Hit me up via PM if it interests you, I'd sell it for alot less.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
The Behringer interfaces are surprisingly good and incredibly affordable. The quality of interfaces has really improved in the last 5-10 years. I use Apogee stuff mainly, but the Behringer Uphoria stuff gets pretty close for 1/10 of the price. I've been using a single channel model while I've been at home for the virus, and I've been thoroughly impressed. At least for guitars and bass, it sounds amazing. I'm using a Mac, but I'm guessing it will work on Windows. For sub-$1000 budgets, everything will be about the same in terms of audio quality. For demos and simple recordings, I’d stick to two mics (overhead and kick). That will simplify the load on your software as well as make any mixing easier. If you’d need more inputs, go for the 4 channel options. Unless you really know what you’re doing, 8 inputs on a drumset is overkill and will probably create more problems than you'd expect. If you're tracking a entire band live, then, maybe you'd require more than 2-4 inputs.

Honestly, unless you are doing a ton of recording, a cheapo interface will be just fine for demos. If you're looking for pro sounding recordings, use your cheap ($100-$200) interface to make the demo and take the $1000+ you'd spend on a decent interface and pay for a few hours in a legit studio.

Good luck!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
That has 8 inputs, not 18. To get 18 you need to add more hardware. I recommend the Roland Studio Capture (but it's over $800).
Well you are correct sir but it has the potential. I always try to get something that is expandable. But yes, out of the box is 8 which is the minimum I’d need for drums.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well you are correct sir but it has the potential. I always try to get something that is expandable. But yes, out of the box is 8 which is the minimum I’d need for drums.
Most interfaces allow you to "chain" additional units together for more inputs.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the Audient interfaces. I started with an iD14 (2 onboard pres and expandable to 10 inputs via adat) and recently upgraded to the iD44 (4 onboard pres and expandable to 20 inputs via adat).

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Depends on how many inputs you want. For $500, you can get the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, which has 8 inputs. I love mine. In general, the Scarlett series are very nice...easy to use, sound great, and affordable.
I have the same model. Works great.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chappy - to record drums in a variety of styles, you really need an 8 channel interface if you can swing it. One with 8 actual mic inputs and preamps. But $400 is tough for doing that - there's a M-Audio device, but reviews say the Windows drivers suck - so I would beware there.

For another $100, there would appear to be more choices,,,

TPC

Reaction score
I’ve been using the Presonus products for a decade, FirePod, FP-10, now FireStudio and would recommend them highly. I just upgraded to a StudioLive 16.4.2 and have a couple FireStudios in great shape that I’ll be selling soon. If you have any interest in those (take a look at system requirements, etc) let me know. They tend to go for about $100-$200. Mine would be toward the lower end of that scale.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I use a zoom R16. It was pretty affordable and you can tie multiple together for additional inputs.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a second generation Scarlett 18i8 from Sweetwater as a "demo" for around $250 or so. It works great, has 4 XLR inputs, 4 more 1/4" inputs in the back plus it comes with Ableton lite which has done everything I have needed. As a total recording newby it's been awesome.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Presonus Studiolive mixer and was very pleased with the software for recording, I think it's the same software for interface Dan mentioned. I was able to plug and record very easily. The mixer is a little over $1000 if you might need a mixer this one pulls double duty as the name implies for home studio or as a live mixer.

ellaguru

Reaction score
I use a Zoom F8 and then just drop the files into Reaper for mixing. Used, these units are in your price range, and the best thing is that you can take it with you to gigs to record without having to lug along a laptop and an interface.

/edit to add that you cant overdub onto it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I chose the Tascam DP-24SD. 8 inputs with preamps, 24 tracks, built-in SD recorder, can be used as an audio interface if you choose + mixing and it's got built in effects. It's $499! I just ordered it along with a couple of mics and it's gonna be my first time recording. I went in first hand buying something I can expand upon and like the fact that no computer is necessary unless I choose to use a DAW post production. I researched the heck out of this before making the purchase and at least for my needs, I couldn't find something so easy & complete for the price.
main_en_dp-24sd.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts