Recommendations for recording interface?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take this in a slightly different direction. I just bought an Allen & Heath ZEDi-10fx and I've been extremely impressed. It's a really versatile tool and it kinda kills the Behringer Uphoria stuff (which I also own) in both build quality and sound. It's got USB (4 channels simultaneous recording) and can function as a simple interface, as a standalone mixer, or as a control surface for mixdowns and the like. And the price point is really sweet. I just did a professional grade remote recording with it and am extremely pleased with the sounds we got-- sorry, can't post them yet. Anyway, it's great-- nice little mixer with very surprisingly usable effects, easy to use, great build, great sound. I may buy the next model up as my remote recording rig expands (it has more XLRs) and use this thing as a mixer for my guitar and voice gigs.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Behringer interfaces are surprisingly good and incredibly affordable. The quality of interfaces has really improved in the last 5-10 years. I use Apogee stuff mainly, but the Behringer Uphoria stuff gets pretty close for 1/10 of the price.
I’m using the 4-channel Behringer UMC404HD for some lower-level recording on a PC into Adobe Audition. Sets up fast and sounds great (Midas preamps). 4 channels for $180 new - works for me!

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I’m wanting to record demos and drum tracks for my various bands in my home. Hit me with your recommendations for an audio recording interface for Windows 10 under $400.

thanks.
Chappy
I have the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. It’s $499 on Sweetwater, but worth the extra $100. It has 8 inputs and is very clean. I also purchased the Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre which gave me 8 more channels for a total of 16. Between these preamps, my mics and my MAC, I can do a lot.

manoeuver

Reaction score
I have a couple of the Scarlett interfaces from Focusrite and they work well.
I did just pick up a used Zoom z24 and I like it a lot, it's small enough to carry around and easy to record to SD cards.
R16 would be a good choice too. I think the R8 has only 2 mic pres.

good luck!

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as well. It's a great starter piece because it supports ADAT in-and-out, so you can use it as a standalone mic pre / headphone amp as you build your system out.

I'm currently using a Universal Audio Apollo x4 as my "master" interface, with the 18i20 providing 8 more mic pres via ADAT in and 2 more channels of headphone amp via ADAT out. If I ever need to do a remote session where I don't want to take the UA gear, I can switch the Scarlett back to interface mode and be good to go.

The latest generation (3rd gen) Scarlett stuff is VERY, VERY good. I had a Clarett 4Pre before getting the Apollo, and A/B testing that with the Scarlett was an exact match, to my ears. The 2nd gen was already very good, but the 3rd gen is just *chefskiss.gif* :)

Can also recommend the XR18 that was mentioned -- it's a fantastically rugged live mixer that can also give you a multichannel USB interface if needed. The quality of the pres aren't to the level of the other interfaces listed here, but they're MILES ahead of what was available for home studios 5-10 years ago. Very usable effects (especially in live -- they'll give you anything you'd ever want at any venue where you're providing the sound system), good build construction, and decent (but not great) control apps. The onboard wireless router is absolutely garbage though. Prepare to go hardwire via ethernet or bring your own external router.

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Focusrite. I picked up a b-stock 18i20 from Focusrite's ebay store awhile back for roughly $100 below the cost of a new unit. Physically, it's perfect, and functionally it's been awesome - sounds great, works like new so far as I can tell. It's last-gen, not the latest version, but whatever I'm missing is lost on me.