Recommended Ride Cymbal for Small Jazz Kit?

zendrums

Reaction score
Hello Community,

I am a new drummer and am looking to learn jazz drumming. I am in the process of piecing together a small kit. I have a 5"x12" snare and 7"x18" bass (TAMA Club-Jam Mini) and just picked up used Sabian HHX 13" Groove Hi-Hats.

I am looking for recommendations for a ride cymbal. Since my drums are small and my hi-hats are small, I was leaning toward a 20" or 21" ride rather than a 22"--I was thinking the 20" or 21" ride might match the volume of the smaller drums and hi-hats.

With jazz in mind, would a Sabian HHX Groove 21" Ride be a good fit? I was reading up that some consider it to be more suitable for funk than jazz. I am also considering a Sabian HHX Legacy 20" Ride. I am trying to spend ~$175 which will likely be hard to find.

deegeebee

Reaction score
I'd go back to the well where you got the groove hats and pick up that 20" HH light ride in the sales forum for $125 SHIPPED! I can't believe that that is a thing. Beautiful cymbal, smoking deal, crash it, ride it, take your time and master it before buying another cymbal.

Edit: Important to note that you don't need the perfect cymbal to learn jazz. Infact, one of the things to learn is how to get useful sounds out of a cymbal. So I wonder if at this point it isn't counter productive to spend hours listening to cymbal sample videos to try and find the perfect sound. Grab something you know is decent and get to work practicing!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you looked into Istanbul Mehmet cymbals? Within their different series, they have cymbals specifically labeled and designed for jazz. They are expensive but Amazon always has some blowout prices on them. You have to look daily because they always add new ones in which they lower the price. Only thing is that they will usually be in those sizes about $200+. But with the blowout prices they sometimes come in under $200. I have a 24" ride that I picked up for under $200 last year. If you are interested, go to Amazon and in the search box type "istanbul mehmet jazz ride cymbal" then filter the search to see prices from low to high. You'll be able to browse what they have. That HH light ride that Deegeebee posted above for $125 seems like a great deal as well. That light ride should be nice for jazz. Another suggestion is to go on YouTube and hear some demo's for different rides.
LRod

owr

Reaction score
* Edit * Looks like I mispoke, I assumed that $125 light ride was from Tom, but looks like its another seller. Still a killer deal, that would be a good choice, and with a little weight on that it will be a bit drier, easier to control, good for learning. IF not, I stand by my earlier comments - give it a day or two and Tom will be selling something wonderful cheap :)

I agree, Tom has an excellent ear and has bought/sold more cymbals than just about anyone around here (even though they tend to be the same cymbals over and over...), so you know anything he sells is going to be a good one. Plus he tends to sell his stuff way cheaper than most, which means his $125 cymbal is probably just as "nice" as someones else's $200 cymbal. I agree that a 20" is good for you to get your hands around, bigger cymbals can be a lot to control.

I'd go back to the well where you got the groove hats and pick up that 20" HH light ride in the sales forum for $125 SHIPPED! I can't believe that that is a thing. Beautiful cymbal, smoking deal, crash it, ride it, take your time and master it before buying another cymbal.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
The HHX Legacy is a sweet, sweet cymbal. If you want to stay with Sabian, the Crescent Element is very nice as well. Or the Manhattan Jazz. Of course the Light Ride already mentioned for 125 should be a killer deal.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The simplest answer and cheapest way is often the late 50's Zildjian 20" A. You can find them for $50-$100 if you poke around. 2000-2250 gm range. If you don't mind a key hole then only $50-$85....I've had a couple like that on the cheap. 60's and 70's will tend to be a bit brighter in tone. And like JDA said, an 18 or 19 can cover it too.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That 20" Sabian should work well with the hats you already have (not too different from a groove ride I think). Both hats and ride are on the medium side, not really thin, but this maks them versatile for louder styles as well. Reminds me of some cymbals my former teacher Keith Copeland (RIP) would use on the teaching drumset. This would be professional-grade little set. Maybe add a thin 18" later.

I don't think a larger cymbal is necessarily louder, but with a just one cymbal you want some crashability and 20" is the biggest I would go for that.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello Community,

I am a new drummer and am looking to learn jazz drumming. I am in the process of piecing together a small kit. I have a 5"x12" snare and 7"x18" bass (TAMA Club-Jam Mini) and just picked up used Sabian HHX 13" Groove Hi-Hats.

I am looking for recommendations for a ride cymbal. Since my drums are small and my hi-hats are small, I was leaning toward a 20" or 21" ride rather than a 22"--I was thinking the 20" or 21" ride might match the volume of the smaller drums and hi-hats.

With jazz in mind, would a Sabian HHX Groove 21" Ride be a good fit? I was reading up that some consider it to be more suitable for funk than jazz. I am also considering a Sabian HHX Legacy 20" Ride. I am trying to spend ~$175 which will likely be hard to find.
Hello Zendrummer,

Welcome to Aural Physics 101, a.k.a., the insanely wacky world of being a drummer. =)
Sounds like you're going to go with one cymbal that can be both ridden and crashed, and it also sounds like you're a Sabian fan.
Keeping that in mind, and taking into account the other parameters you laid out for a cymbal, I would think either an HHX Ride or an HHX Complex Medium Ride in the 20" size would work for you.
For a 21, the regular ol' HHX Thin Ride seems to be a nice little cymbal, too.
I think the Groove ride is a bit "stiff" to my ears. It comes off as too much of a ping ride for my liking.
Try to keep in mind that an instrument, like a cymbal, can be rather...meh, by itself but blend in very nicely when used in a band setting, so try not to get too "exact" in what you're looking for in a cymbal.
"Paint with broad strokes", as they say, and let the rest work itself out....because, either it will or it won't, but that's for the cymbal to tell you (and don't forget about the sticks you're using, too. They can also have an impact on how a cymbal comes across).
Still, you'll want something with a little "soul" in its sound and a nice balance of ping to wash.
I hear that in the cymbals I mentioned.
Good luck.

Elvis

Last edited:

nolibos

Reaction score
This advice is for learning jazz.
Go for something on the dry side (size/brand don't matter). With the dryness you can really focus on you "ding, dinga, ding".

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're new to this, you likely haven't developed an ear for what you like yet, or what you like will change. Accordingly, getting a vintage A Zildjian is a good bet, because they almost always sound great for jazz, don't require much initial outlay, and if your taste adjusts to the point that you don't like the particular cymbal you got, you can pass it along and recoup much if not all of your initial purchase price.

zendrums

Reaction score
18" or 19" Dry Ride
Thanks for the feedback, JDA. A few folks have indicated a dry ride is a good place to start for a jazz beginner. Plus, my kit is "mini" and my main playing room is small (76 sq ft). I saw on another thread that you have or had the Breakbeats/Uptown ride. How did you like it? Tama CW had recommended a late 50's Zildjian 20" A and RogersLudwig compared a Zildjian Armand to a Zildjian 20" A. Below are some labels from Zildjian's website. They list the Armand (19") as "Medium Thin" weight, "Min/Mod" dry while the Uptown is "Medium" weight, "Maximum" dry. Do you think the Uptown would be a good fit for beginner jazz, small kit, small room?
  1. Zildjian A 18" Uptown Ride: "Medium" weight, "Maximum" dry

2. Zildjian A 19" Armand Beautiful Baby Ride: "Medium Thin" weight, "Min/Mod" dry

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, JDA. A few folks have indicated a dry ride is a good place to start for a jazz beginner. Plus, my kit is "mini" and my main playing room is small (76 sq ft). I saw on another thread that you have or had the Breakbeats/Uptown ride. How did you like it? Tama CW had recommended a late 50's Zildjian 20" A and RogersLudwig compared a Zildjian Armand to a Zildjian 20" A. Below are some labels from Zildjian's website. They list the Armand (19") as "Medium Thin" weight, "Min/Mod" dry while the Uptown is "Medium" weight, "Maximum" dry. Do you think the Uptown would be a good fit for beginner jazz, small kit, small room?
  1. Zildjian A 18" Uptown Ride: "Medium" weight, "Maximum" dry

2. Zildjian A 19" Armand Beautiful Baby Ride: "Medium Thin" weight, "Min/Mod" dry
Don't get the BB ride. The ping gets lost in the rivet buzz

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw on another thread that you have or had the Breakbeats/Uptown ride. How did you like it?
Breakbeat is/was an awesome dark little dry Ride. Not loud at all.
Think it's named Uptown now. It's a ride. That's what you should have. A Ride. That's where the time/focus to push/move the band- quietly- at all volume- levels comes in.
Thanks for asking.

owr

Reaction score
I dont know, as someone who still has questionable ride cymbal time, sometimes I appreciate how a bit of wash can smooth things out for me. There's no hiding behind an ultra dry ride. What I think Joe is getting at (and I agree) is don't get too caught up in the quest for ultra thin jazz rides thats been the trend for sometime. They are harder to control, and questionable in their effectiveness for anyone on the other side of the kit. Just dont go too overboard, no need for any of these models specifically adverstised as "dry".

I would agree with the sentiment of many that a good 20" old A of around 2000 g would be a fantastic place to go. Your first cymbal will set the "benchmark" in your head of what cymbals are supposed to sound like. Might as well start with the actual benchmark.