Recording a Demo - use the studio kit? or bring mine?

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So after monkeying with recording stuff on our own, the band king decided that none of have the time or the patience (we all have really little kids) to put the time into doing a demo ourselves. So he's booked studio time for one full day to record our demo.

They have a six piece Pearl Sessions kit mic'ed and ready to go. I just have to bring cymbals, but it's an addtional $40. So it'd eliminate set up time, and sound check, but I'd be playing on a kit I'm not familiar with, and there's the extra cost. There's the plus of not needing to lug my kit there too.

So do I bite the bullet and pay the extra $40, or insist on bringing mine, and knowing it might set us back an hour with set up and sound check?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I would think that the house kit should be dialed in so for a one day session, I'd go with the studio kit.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I would go with the house kit also. Especially if it's a demo. I would definately have my snare and cymbals of coarse. Good luck!

H

hindadoon

As Dan stated, the studio set will be faster to dial in. Having said that, you wont be as comfortable on the studio set and obviously it will sound different....

As a side note, I've used many studio sets to record with, and I've never heard of a studio charging to use their backline. That should be included as part of the deal.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I haven't recorded at a real studio in ages bit I agree, why would a studio charge for a kit that was already mic'd and dialed in? Doesn't make sense.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, their reasoning is the price is for heads, replacement parts, etc. The kit looks great in the pictures, and is way bigger than anything I need for this project. I don't want to mess around with set up, so it seems like the better alternative.

I didn't set the deal up, but I've already brought up the extra charge with the band king. He's discussing it with them.

Man minus label

Reaction score
I would agree with the house kit. $40 for a dialed in kit versus taking a couple hours to set up, tweak tuning, place and test the mics for the drums...it saves time and ear fatigue for the engineer. For a one day project, try to make it as comfortable for everyone as possible. Maybe they'll let you move the kit around to your liking.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
mcjaco said:
Yeah, their reasoning is the price is for heads, replacement parts, etc.
That's overhead. How about wear and tear on mIcs, cords, electricity, water for bathroom, etc? Tell them you will drop off some new heads before the session and ask them to dial them in for free then.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Another guy here that never heard of a studio charging a fee for use of a set. Probably won't look as good in person as it does in the pictures. I'd bet you'd still have to "dial it in."

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Checking the pictures of the kit, and there's quite a few, it looks to be in great shape. That being said, I never rely on pictures either.

Think I'll just roll with the studio kit, as I can't stay the whole ten hour session anyway. It'll make things much more relaxed for myself, the engineer, and the producer.

This place is about $110 cheaper than the other two places we looked at, and their backline kits were crap, so not sure it's worth the argument, but it's been raised. And maybe my box of lightly used pinstripes will come with me. ;-)

duanedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mcjaco said:
Yeah, their reasoning is the price is for heads, replacement parts, etc. The kit looks great in the pictures, and is way bigger than anything I need for this project. I don't want to mess around with set up, so it seems like the better alternative.

I didn't set the deal up, but I've already brought up the extra charge with the band king. He's discussing it with them.
I suggest you tell the studio that since you are paying the extra money for the use of the kit and it is larger than what you need for the project, you expect to have total freedom to set it up as you like. That shouldn't be a problem really......

Drum Play

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd use my kit so it would sound like me...if that made any sense.. I wouldn't want to use any kit on site for any project. i like to hear the drums i've bought and tuned. that is unless your kit sounds inferior to the house kit.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have done exactly one professional studio gig ever. I was so excited - I brought my vintage Gretsch kit, and my vintage Rogers kit. I set up the Gretsch, and the guy miked them up and we were ready to go.

The artist, a singer-songwriter, didn't like the bass drum sound. "Too resonant." We tried my Rogers BD - same thing. Then we tried the house kit - a Yamaha Stage Custom filled with laundry. He loved it. Could have saved a lot of time hauling and setting up stuff. :)

Reaction score
I agree with those that suggest going with the studio drums. I've played on house/studio kits pretty regularly. I've never paid any kind of rental/upkeep fee for using them. Maybe the producer/artist did but not that I'm aware of.

As far as adjusting the drums so that you are comfortable - that's normal procedure and shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck with your demo session!

Billy G.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
40 bucks, if the studio is much cheaper than the others and sounds just as good(you have already checked out things recorded and mixed there, right?).

Quirky? Yes. I would ask if that fee could be waived: the hourly rate is what pays for the damn studio, for crying out loud.

But, it might not be a bad idea. You could spend a fortune getting a satisfactory drum sound, especially if the engineer is not too swift. Plus, the all-important "vibe" can be lost. At one studio where the engineer was decidedly in over his head, it once took me 2 hours to get a decent sound. No one was psyched after that.

To me, not a deal breaker. A deal breaker is of they ask you for payment in advance. You didn't mention what the rate was, what the studio's rep is like, who might have recorded there, what the tracks sound like. All of that should figure in to your decision.

Plus, I think Pearl Sessions drums are great drums.

Dan

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The engineer/producer for our last recording session spent near two hours getting mic placement and levels just for my drums because he's a perfectionist. We had a flat rate for the week, so a couple hours didn't affect us as much, but for just one day, I would probably just use the house kit. I'd definitely bring my own snare and cymbals.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
seems unfair to charge for the kit unless you damage something

imho

maybe they get a lot of pounders :naka:

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Better that the kit is bigger than you need rather than not big enough.

I'm sure you'll be able to scratch what you don't need and make yourself comfortable.

All things considered, I'd go with the studio kit.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
i gotta play my own kit. its set up to fit me and has memory locks and marks on the rug and the pedals are adjusted for me and the sound is my sound.