Recording Custom Aluminium snare!

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone have experience with this?
My buddy has this and thinking about selling.
I just got rid of my beloved DW BNOB to support my recording gear, immediately needing a metal snare for a recording .

Ive seen some of youtube reviews of Yammy and it sounded really good! Especially aluminium has very controlled ring and dry-ness.

I can still re-buy my dw which has been workhorse, at the same time I can go for a change.

Anyone has any thoughts on this?
Also curious how brass and stainless steel model do the job for you.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Sure, I had one in the 1990s... it was ok. My Ludwig Supraphonic was way more versatile and sounded great. if I had to have only one metal snare it would be a Supraphonic.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe @DanRH had or has one.

Aluminum can make a great drum. Personally I don't think the Yamaha version would be the one I would pick when there are so many that sound just as good for less money. I have a couple Ludwigs with aluminum shells and an INDe 6.5x14, and I'm very happy with them.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the 5.5” aluminum shell Yamaha RC snare when they first came out . They are very good snares and IMHO the 5.5” is the most have size . It is incredibly lightweight . I was shocked at how light this snare was when I first picked it up . The aluminum diecast hoops are good choice for this snare . These hoops reign in the ring a bit and focus the sound . They have a very nice cross stick sound . I liked it most with the 10 strand snare set instead of the stock 20 strand . Tye strainer works smoothly and holds well .
Regarding sound , I found it to be like a slightly drier Ludaloy Supra .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're great drums. I've had both the 5.5 and 6.5. Like Rick (NobleCooleyNut) mentioned, drier than a soup and that's what I liked about the RC's. At the right proce, you can't go wrong with the RC's. Honestly though, I have two Oriollo Phantom's (the 55 and 65) and they're my go to aluminum snares. 8 lug lusciousness (second time I've used that term today).

Phantom65.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG