Recording custom?

Falcor

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me the year this Yamaha snare drum came out? I’m thinking it’s either 89 or 99. And is this still considered a recording custom even if the model number only says SD096? Thanks!

Attachments

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
March 99. The dash in the serial indicates the 90s.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go strictly by the revised Yamaha dating guide, then that snare should be from March of 1999. However, if you factor in the pictures of the actual snare drum it changes things. The photographic evidence like the style of lugs and throw and most importantly, the badge, it indicates that the drum has to be from 1989. That model snare appears in the 1986 Yamaha catalog and not in any of the 90's catalogs. And the badge on the OP's drum photos is totally an 80's style that Yamaha stopped using right around 1990. The drum is an all birch shell and would be considered a Recording Custom drum based on its birch construction.

Falcor

Reaction score
If you go strictly by the revised Yamaha dating guide, then that snare should be from March of 1999. However, if you factor in the pictures of the actual snare drum it changes things. The photographic evidence like the style of lugs and throw and most importantly, the badge, it indicates that the drum has to be from 1989. That model snare appears in the 1986 Yamaha catalog and not in any of the 90's catalogs. And the badge on the OP's drum photos is totally an 80's style that Yamaha stopped using right around 1990. The drum is an all birch shell and would be considered a Recording Custom drum based on its birch construction.
I really appreciate all of this info! I saw the same catalogs that you mentioned as well which made me question it. What confuses me is using the dash in the serial number because I thought they did that for dating 90s drums. What changed on the badge after 1990 if you don’t mind me asking?

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the 80's all of Yamaha drums used the same badge (pictured on your drum) and the model would indicate what the drum was (SD for snare drum, BD for bass drum, etc) followed by the model number/size (096, 22, etc). In the 90's the drums started getting different badges for each of the different lines of drums - Maple Custom, Beech Custom, Stage Custom. The Recording Custom drums kept an 80's style badge, but the birch snare drums were given a Birch Custom badge that looks completely different.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it adds a lot to the value. But that’s a bit of a rare bird, in that you don’t seem many of those with the full blown extended wires. At least “I” don’t

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the 80's all of Yamaha drums used the same badge (pictured on your drum) and the model would indicate what the drum was (SD for snare drum, BD for bass drum, etc) followed by the model number/size (096, 22, etc). In the 90's the drums started getting different badges for each of the different lines of drums - Maple Custom, Beech Custom, Stage Custom. The Recording Custom drums kept an 80's style badge, but the birch snare drums were given a Birch Custom badge that looks completely different.
Ah that makes sense. I know that badge was used on RC kits into the 90s, but didn't realize the snares changed. I don't personally remember seeing the dual tension knobs on the deeper snares until later, but there was definitely a similar version on the shallow drums in the 80s, so it makes sense that there could have been a deep-shell version as well.

Falcor

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could help me figure out the throw off on this snare. It appears that someone who owned the snare prior to me drilled two holes in the side of the drum which may have been for a different throw off. You can see in the pictures the holes. Only one hole is visible from the outside, but both can been seen looking on the inside. Is the throw off that’s on it now an original throw off from the 89? It’s lever rubs against the rim when I move it. I’m not sure if that’s normal either? Or was there supposed to be a different throw attached which would explain the holes? Thanks!

Attachments