Recording midi and stereo with Yamaha ead10

Jcharnock

Reaction score
Hi all

Im considering buying a ead10 but had a question before i take the leap.
Is it possible to record midi and stereo at the same time? As in trigger the kick and snare on one track then on a separate track have the rest of the kit coming from the mics?
Didn't know if anyone had any experience with this, or just recording with it generally.
Thanks
James

Jcharnock

Reaction score
Yes. I occasionally do it in demonstrations so I can trigger a VSTi and blend it with the audio through the sensor. Works great
Ah nice, thanks. Just another one of the amazing things it can do then!

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. I occasionally do it in demonstrations so I can trigger a VSTi and blend it with the audio through the sensor. Works great
Can you post videos of this process? I'd love to learn more about the EADs. The look pretty amazing...I've just heard they can be tricky to mix / feedback issues...

simedgoose

Reaction score
I can’t post any videos at the moment as I’m away but it’s very simple. As far as tricky to set up, absolutely not. But you have to be logical about it and not expect it to bend the laws of physics - the PA has to be louder than the kit (otherwise there’s no point), the PA has to be proportional to the room (no 5k rigs in a tiny bar) and the PA needs to be set up in front of the kit. It’s all logical stuff that applies to conventional mic’ing too. Really you need in ear monitors and avoid floor wedges, but if you don’t use IEM or wedges and use it as a volume booster, then no problem at all.

simedgoose

Reaction score
Rather than post a video, just to explain - when I demo EAD I use Ableton on a MacBook Pro to mix everything in real time and play my tracks. If I need to show it, I have Superior Drummer running on the MBP, with the midi coming from EAD (the drums may have triggers on which allow the EAD to generate midi data from my playing). Then I just mix in Ableton - SD3 and EAD. Simple

Latest posts