Recording to an android phone over usb.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I want to make some basic recordings with my ekit onto my phone. I'm wanting to use some drumless tracks off of YouTube and make some recordings so I can listen back and critique myself. Problem is I'm not extremely technical so when it comes to daws and things like that I dont have the patience to try and figure all that out. Is there a way to record over usb on an android with both the drumless track and my playing? I tried using audacity but it sounds like crap. I'm not looking for super polished or pro grade just something that's mixed well enough for me to listen back to and see where I need to improve.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
" I tried using audacity but it sounds like crap. " That's not going to be the software - the software can only record what it's been given. You haven't mentioned your setup.

If you wanna use an Android phone, it's possible but a lot more fiddly with a small screen. Can be done though as cheaply as a OTG cable and something like a Behringer UCA202 and a sound recording app, like Band Lab. It "works".

PC is far easier though - bigger screen, less fiddling. Download the track - drop it into a recording program[1] on a "track", then play it back whilst recording your drums onto another track.

You will need an "audio interface" (aka soundcard) if you want it to not sound too crap. From a UCA202 to infinity - depends on your budget.

[1] Cakewalk - for example - now free. https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
" I tried using audacity but it sounds like crap. " That's not going to be the software - the software can only record what it's been given. You haven't mentioned your setup.

If you wanna use an Android phone, it's possible but a lot more fiddly with a small screen. Can be done though as cheaply as a OTG cable and something like a Behringer UCA202 and a sound recording app, like Band Lab. It "works".

PC is far easier though - bigger screen, less fiddling. Download the track - drop it into a recording program[1] on a "track", then play it back whilst recording your drums onto another track.

You will need an "audio interface" (aka soundcard) if you want it to not sound too crap. From a UCA202 to infinity - depends on your budget.

[1] Cakewalk - for example - now free. https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
I forgot to mention my kit earlier. It's a simmons sd350. I know nothing fancy but it's just for me to use as a practice kit. But since I've heard that recording ekits is far easier than acoustic I thought I'd give it a try. Just so I can hear myself to make notes as to what I need to work on. I know that the easiest way to record on a phone is with an irig but I don't want video too. Just the audio so I can save it on my phone or ipod and listen at work or wherever to keep mental notes on what I need to work on.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what sound source. Could be absolutely anything.

any sound source --> "audio interface" --> computer --> software.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No... what electrodrummer said is it. You need that interface. No way to plug your drums into a phone or a computer without it.