Recording Via Cell Phone?

tbird8450

Reaction score
I've been looking to record myself behind the kit, mainly for the purposes of listening back and critiquing my playing, but also in order to create sound files for selling / trading cymbals. I downloaded a few apps, and without touching any settings, most sound pretty awful. The best I've found so far is BandLab. However, the drums still don't sound good by any means. Even with low to moderate playing, they come through as harsh and overly resonant. The cymbals are far too bright and sound slightly better than if I threw some pots and pans at a moving vehicle.

I admit I know absolutely nothing about audio recording engineering. I'd prefer to stay away from a dedicated mic, unless something very simple is worth looking into. I've heard several cell phone videos that sounded plenty good for what I'm trying to do, so it certainly seems possible.

The room itself is relatively small, but it's carpeted and there are soft materials around that help keep the sound from bouncing around too much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of really good condenser mic's that plug right into an iPhone and sound very good.

But the internal mic can sound pretty good if you do the following:

1. Turn the phone volume down low prior to recording
2. Keep the phone at least 6-8 feet from the sound source

tbird8450

Reaction score
I had no idea about #1 - does the phone actually output sound while recording? Weird if so, but happy to try it.

I've already done #2.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a condenser mic that I can plug right into the phone. They seem reasonable enough from a cost perspective.

Does anyone use a certain model that works well for drums / cymbals? There are a ton out there and most of the reviews that I've found seem to be focused on voice and not instrument recording.

moosryan

Reaction score
Not that you're looking for suggesting to buy things, but the Zoom H1 is pretty cheap and good for this--I use it to record all my rehearsals and some practicing. Can probably find one used for like $50.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Yamaha EAD10 does a great job of this with the Rec’n’Share app. Sure you have to shell out $500 for the EAD10 but what you get is a great practice tool and do much more IMHO. Here’s a recording I did for demo purposes for a friends song.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Shure MV88plus has served me well. Decent mic, but having the easy to use software app to control basic recording parameters such as (gain, super quiet noise ratio, bit rate choice, compression, EQ, stereo spread, limiter, monitoring, presets and/or saveable personal setup, stores vids or audio to your phone library) is the best feature. At $175, for plug and go recording it’s great. The only major drawbacks are that it might not work with some other applications like Zoom/FaceTime, live streaming etc.. I also wish I could blend in aux signal with the unit. Maybe there’s a way, I haven’t really explored that last point(s). As a stand-alone unit, it’s a good deal.