Recordings That Can’t Be Improved

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you just want to argue with somebody. Not interested.
Really????

Twice I said what I had to say - as politely and non-confrontational as possible - and both times you keep coming back to me directly with a reply. The first time literally asking ME a question... "There are no recordings that you feel that way about?" and the second replying with Spinning Wheel and stating basically that David Clayton Thomas can't possibly be covered... again, begging for response...

And now this... WTH - if you don't want to engage in a discussion - then don't engage... and certainly don't do it over and over again.
I'm not looking to fight with you

You posted a topic
I expressed my opinion.

The further discussion was instigated by you - if you weren't looking to be "right" no matter what, you would've just let it go...

Sheesh...

So you want MY list of perfect recordings that I wouldn't change a note of....? OK - it would start with these....

Are You Experienced?
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
Sergeant Pepper's
Don Ellis at Filmore
Tears of Joy - Don Ellis
Electric Bath - Don Ellis
Rennaisance - Vanilla Fudge
Jesus Christ Superstar - Orignal recording
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Inner Mounting Flame
Birds of Fire
Between Nothingness and Eternity
Apocalypse
Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Strange Days - The Doors
Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy - Chick Corea
The Leprechaun - Chick Corea
Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever
Back to Oakland - Tower of Power
One of a Kind - Bill Bruford
Black Market - Weather Report
Birdland - Weather Report
Garden of Love Light - Narada Michael Walden
The Seeds of Love - Tears For Fears
Royal Scam
Aja
Mercy Mercy - Buddy Rich
Boingo Alive - Oingo Boingo
Threshold - Pat Williams
Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
The Golden Age of Wireless - Thomas Dolby
The Flat Earth - Thomas Dolby
Wired - Jeff Beck
Like Children - Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer
The First Seven Days - Jan Hammer
Journey to Love - Stanley Clarke
Stanley Clarke - Stanley Clarke
Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
Chunga's Revenge - Frank Zappa
Roxy and Elsewhere - Frank Zappa
Overnite Sensation - Frank Zappa
BS&T3 - Blood Sweat and Tears
Discipline - King Crimson
Beat - King Crimson
Three of a Perfect Pair - King Crimson
Track - King Crimson
Lizard - King Crimson
Nothing Like The Sun - Sting
Ten Summoner's Tales - Sting

Off the top of my head, honest to God - for me - absolutely perfect recordings (and there are so many more) - none which could be improved in any way, yet I would relish hearing any of these hundreds of songs covered. :cool:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me, a "great record" is one that the following things can NOT be improved upon:
  • The song (melody/lyrics)
  • The musical arrangement
  • The performance of every single part of that arrangement (not just the vocal or solo instrument)
  • The sound of the final recording (a different recording technique wouldn't have made any part of the final record better)
  • The production (the over-arching concept of the recording)
For my money, the record that succeeds best on all of these elements is:

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So you want MY list of perfect recordings that I wouldn't change a note of....? OK - it would start with these....

[snip long list of absolutely WONDERFUL records, excepting]

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy: Buddy Rich

Off the top of my head, honest to God - for me - absolutely perfect recordings (and there are so many more) - none which could be improved in any way, yet I would relish hearing any of these hundreds of songs covered. :cool:
While I can't argue with any of the records on your list (including "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy") based on the music and performance, I've always thought that the recording quality of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" left a lot to be desired. Its frequency balance is thin (the whole band, but especially Buddy's brand-new Slingerlands) and the dynamic compression makes everything sound small.

I bought this album when it was first released in 1968 (I was 16) and was immediately disappointed that sounded much less like the Rich band did live than "Swingin New Big Band" and "Big Swing Face" (I had seen Buddy's band live twice in 1967 and another half-dozen or so times in 1968 ). While the CD remaster improves the sound over its original release on LP, unfortunately the thin tonal balance and dynamic compression seem to be baked into the original recording.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Jazz - "Kind Of Blue"

Rock - Captain Beyond (Debut LP)

Other - Joni's "Court & Spark"
Cardiacs "Sing To God"
Prince "The Rainbow Children"
Prefab Sprout "Jordan:The Comeback"

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I can't argue with any of the records on your list (including "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy") based on the music and performance, I've always thought that the recording quality of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" left a lot to be desired. Its frequency balance is thin (the whole band, but especially Buddy's brand-new Slingerlands) and the dynamic compression makes everything sound small.

I bought this album when it was first released in 1968 (I was 16) and was immediately disappointed that sounded much less like the Rich band did live than "Swingin New Big Band" and "Big Swing Face" (I had seen Buddy's band live twice in 1967 and another half-dozen or so times in 1968 ). While the CD remaster improves the sound over its original release on LP, unfortunately the thin tonal balance and dynamic compression seem to be baked into the original recording.
Don't disagree at all. In fact IMO a lot of those recordings could've been recorded better. But I think one of the parameters of this thread's definition was to sort of ignore that aspect. Which actually for me isn't that hard - as much as I love an incredibly well captured performance or a greatly crafted recording... the actual musical material, the performance matters so much more by comparison - I can imagine recording quality ever pulling an otherwise phenomenal musical performance off a favorite list from me.