Recreations of old Ludwig finishes

simedgoose

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any companies who do close versions of Ludwigs Red Astro and Avocado Strata?

I appreciate that I could get scans made but just wondering if anyone had found anything similar to add shells onto some Standard kits.

Many thanks

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I think red astro would be hard to do as it is a finish like the satin flame wraps. I have not seen anything close to that available. As for Avacado Strata, I would be that bumwrap drum company could reproduce that and do a really good job. I used their bumwrap citrus mod to do hoop inlays on my original 1971 citrus mod set and the match was perfect.

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Bumwrap is a scan of a small section of original wrap that is stitched together to make an image large enough to print a full size sheet so you will see repeating patterns on most drums. I can spot the repeat intantly. The finish is also not three dimensional since it is just a picture and not the actual material that was swirled together in a large square mold and then sliced into wrap. If you don't mind the repeating pattern and one dimensional finish then assuming they have access to an example of good wrap they may be able to make some for you. Personally I would only use them for inlays on bass drum hoops. You will not notice those details.

Last edited:

MichaelV

Reaction score
Reach out to Precision in NY. They have a pretty extensive offering of vintage wrap from Delmar

simedgoose

Reaction score
Thank you all. I’ve looked at all the ‘usual suspects’ but those finishes are/were pretty obscure anyway so yes, a scan is probably the way forward. Thank you