Red label SPIZZ 22" ride

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I just got this 22" Spizz ride along with a really beat up old tama kit.
I know it's not an actual Roberto Spizzachino -- there is no metal stamp. I also know it's not one of the infamous Universal Percussion Spizz cymbals. They launched in 2016 and this cymbal was sitting in a basement, along the drum-set, covered with dust for at least 15 years. And the "re-issue" Spizz had black ink, along with a metal stamp.

Spizzachino had a short-lived collaboration with Wuhan sometime in the late 80's I think, from which he later distanced himself.

So is this one of those early Spizz/Wuhan cymbals? It's heavy -- 7 lbs! It actually sounds pretty good -- a bit ping-y for my tastes, but otherwise a decent sounding cymbal. There is also a strange array of rivet holes, one a 3 o'clock, one at 9 o'clock and two at the bottom at about 5:50 and 6:30. There is one small "flea-bite" on the edge, but there are otherwise no issues.
Can anybody verify it's vintage, and guess at a value? I'm think around $150.
IMG_6817.jpg
IMG_6819.jpg IMG_6820.jpg IMG_6821.jpg IMG_6818.jpg

ThomasL

Reaction score
I remember that we discussed those over at cymbalholic, but I don't recall the full story... I do have a picture of a cymbal with the same ink stamp and (presumably) Roberto's signature. I think the owner said he got it from Manny's Music in the 80s, but that might have been the old K in the background. Sorry, this was 15 years ago.

Spizz1995.jpg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
It sold for $299 on Reverb in under 12 hours, which tells me I priced it too low.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
well at least you got that for it; Wager if you would have asked "400$" you would have taken 299.
You did alright hell on it.
The oddball factor there was it was a 22" never seen or heard often

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It certainly has collectable value especially for a Spizzichino fan. I think you could have gotten more for it.