Reduction in Picture Size

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Before the launch of the new, and much improved, website, the maximum size for attached pictures was 1200x900 pixels. With the new website, picture size has been reduced to half of that, now at 600x450 pixels. This size is just much too small to show much detail of our prized drums and other related percussion items. It's gotten to where I really don't want to post pictures, as they just don't do my items any justice at this size. Is it possible to get back to the original picture size? Who made the decision to reduce them by half of what they used to be? Inquiring minds want to know!

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
sometimes you can open the pictures in another tab then take that address and bracket it with the image triggers [ i m g /i m g ]

and it'll pop larger
in other words open image in another tab; then bracket the address with the image triggers

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi JDA!

While I understand what you are saying, I'm not quite sure that the pictures will show any larger. Regardless of the picture size submitted, they will be resized to 600x450, so there's no way to view them larger. Your attached picture says it's 600x450. Did you submit it as a larger picture?

I still submit pictures at 1200x900, but they get resized on this website to 600x450!

I have attached pictures from older posts, submitted at 1200x900, that still show at that resolution. I can't help but think that it's a website software issue. VDF allows 1000x1000, but only 141kb file size, so you have to know how to reduce file size, which I do. I really liked the fact that DFO was 1200x900 and allowed much larger file sizes. I'd like to hear from the Admins as to why they chose to reduce the picture size by 50 percent.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear from the mods on this picture size issue! 600x450 is just too darn small to show our drums. Is there a reason the site can't go back to 1200x900?

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where do you see the maximum size 600x450
I see Thumbnail and Full Size
tuesdayjuly23 016.JPG

How'd I do.tuesdayjuly23 015.JPG

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pays to keep a Sony Digital Camera..I think mine is going strong on 15. Years..
(knock on microchip)

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where do you see the maximum size 600x450
I see Thumbnail and Full Size
View attachment 404017

How'd I do.View attachment 404021
If you right-click a picture, you can view "image info". The largest size, in pixels, that the new website supports is 600x450. That's half of what it used to be...1200x900. You only need to reference pictures that were uploaded before the new website was implemented to see this. Here's a link to a post where I uploaded pictures of my Gretsch snare drum, back in August, 2017, to show how Gretsch performs their cutback. Click HERE It's the last post. Click a picture and then right click to show the image properties. If your monitor is large enough, at least a 22" wide-screen, it will show at 1200x900, which is the resolution I chose. I'm currently looking at that picture on my 20" monitor and it says "1,200px × 900px (scaled to 1,023px × 767px)". The software will scale the picture if it can't show the image at the original size, based on the viewing area of your monitor.

My apologies for the long explanation! The bottom line is that someone decided that the new website will only display 600x450. That's just too small a picture size if you're wanting to show something with detail. Ebay allows a maximum size of 1600x1200. Again, the size of your monitor may scale the picture. I really wish an admin can just get the picture size back to what it was!

-Mark

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's assuming Cellphone. Digital Camera -are my pics above small to you- are they-what size?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's assuming Cellphone. Digital Camera -are my pics above small to you- are they-what size?

Your picture is showing at 600x450. Just too small to show detail, especially if you're trying to sell it. For selling, I may have to resort to hosting pictures on my Dropbox account.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do these---rate for Detail....
Good detail...because you're doing a closeup of a small area. Still, the new picture size is just too small for showing snare drums, complete kits, etc. Just not possible to see any detail!

-Mark

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with you, Mark. Entirely too small since the software update. I notice that the Drummerworld forum has also recently upgraded to the XenForo platform, and I don't think they've imposed the 600x450 limitation we have here. As it is currently, the only solution for posting hi res photos on DFO is to share links from a photo storage service, such as Flickr, Photobucket, etc.

I sure hope this gets remedied. I can't imagine it would be a difficult fix.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to drag on but isn't that (above) the definition of detail!??! ha, good luck men
Yes, it is good detail! That's not the issue! The issue is when showing pictures of complete kits and/or snare drum. Let's say you're selling a kit or snare drum and you post pictures for everyone to see. There's no way you can see how good, or bad, the item is when displayed at 600x450. It's just not possible! I've yet to hear back from an admin on why the decision was made to cut the picture size to half of what it used to be.

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes you have to take the pictures - out- of that 'black screen "picture loader and have the pics stand alone.. or something; best only option---some guys link to an outside source- to view pictures- I've seen that recently in a couple for sale posts

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
If you right-click a picture, you can view "image info". The largest size, in pixels, that the new website supports is 600x450. That's half of what it used to be...1200x900. You only need to reference pictures that were uploaded before the new website was implemented to see this. Here's a link to a post where I uploaded pictures of my Gretsch snare drum, back in August, 2017, to show how Gretsch performs their cutback. Click HERE It's the last post. Click a picture and then right click to show the image properties. If your monitor is large enough, at least a 22" wide-screen, it will show at 1200x900, which is the resolution I chose. I'm currently looking at that picture on my 20" monitor and it says "1,200px × 900px (scaled to 1,023px × 767px)". The software will scale the picture if it can't show the image at the original size, based on the viewing area of your monitor.

My apologies for the long explanation! The bottom line is that someone decided that the new website will only display 600x450. That's just too small a picture size if you're wanting to show something with detail. Ebay allows a maximum size of 1600x1200. Again, the size of your monitor may scale the picture. I really wish an admin can just get the picture size back to what it was!

-Mark
When I post photos, they are reduced in size/resolution. Even if I edit the size once the pic is posted, the new image is blurry, because enlarging a smaller, sized-down image just creates a bigger version of the same picture, with the same pixels, hence the poor quality. So when the website is sizing down our photos, they are cutting out a lot of the original quality as well.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you right-click a picture, you can view "image info". The largest size, in pixels, that the new website supports is 600x450. That's half of what it used to be...1200x900.
We can help simplify the concept by stating that the current photo limits equate to a 4.5" by 6" print whereas the former setting could produce a 9"x12"print (assuming a 100-px per inch constraint).

How do these---rate for Detail....
These images are merely close-ups of a component that are still bound by the small 4.5" x 6" resolution mentioned above.

Trying to view the images in a larger setting (i.e., download the image and open in a photo viewer or editing program and enlarge it) and you'll find it introduces grain/noise/distortion.
This is due to a lack of resolution imposed by that 600x400-px limitation... this may be great for the forum server (limiting size and more rapid loading of pages) but if you're looking to "blow-up" images, not so good!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We can help simplify the concept by stating that the current photo limits equate to a 4.5" by 6" print whereas the former setting could produce a 9"x12"print (assuming a 100-px per inch constraint).

These images are merely close-ups of a component that are still bound by the small 4.5" x 6" resolution mentioned above.

Trying to view the images in a larger setting (i.e., download the image and open in a photo viewer or editing program and enlarge it) and you'll find it introduces grain/noise/distortion.
This is due to a lack of resolution imposed by that 600x400-px limitation... this may be great for the forum server (limiting size and more rapid loading of pages) but if you're looking to "blow-up" images, not so good!
The newly imposed picture resolution probably had more to do with the server than anything else. Still, for a forum that benefits from pictures, cutting the picture size by 50% does all of us a disservice. Whether I'm selling a snare drum or a complete drum outfit, there's just no way that the current picture size can allow you to see any real detail. VDF allows up to 1000x1000 pixel size, but the file size itself is limited to around 145K. I use Caesium to adjust both picture size and file size to the required limits and still maintain very good looking pictures. If I decide to sell drum items, I'm going to post the pictures and text over at VDF and list here, but with a link to VDF. My drums deserve better than 600x450 or 600x600!

Also, I want to say that the new DFO picture size has nothing to do with blowing up a picture for printing, but only the size shown on a good 20" or larger monitor.

-Mark