Reduction in Picture Size

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if I mentioned this, but if you were to find pictures on this forum before the new software was rolled out, it will show at the larger picture size...if the picture was uploaded that way.

Here's a link to a topic I started back in August, 2017, showing my Gretsch snare drum. HERE

On my 20" monitor, the picture info says 1200px x 900px (scaled to 1023px x 767px) The "scaled" info is due to my monitor not being able to show the image at 1200 x 900. It will show this native size on my other computer with a 22" monitor!

-Mark

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth...

I'm surprised this forum even allows "unhosted" pictures to begin with.

I have belonged to forums for many interests going back to the 90s, no forum I have belonged to ever allowed you to upload pics directly. You ALWAYS had to have separate online picture service to host your pics. (And I'm pretty sure it is still that way at Drummerworld forum).

We are pretty lucky we can upload our pics directly to the DFO servers, so I would give them a break on the sizing.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had my forum going for over 15 years now and it allows you to upload as many pics as you like... no bandwidth issues whatsoever.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth...

I'm surprised this forum even allows "unhosted" picutures to begin with.

I have belonged to forums for many i terests going back to the 90s, no forum I have belonged to ever allowed you to upload pics directly. You ALWAYS had to have separate online picture service to host your pics. (And I'm pretty sure it is still that way at Drummerworld forum).

We are pretty lucky we can upload our pics directly to the DFO servers, So I would give them a break on the sizing.

If you need to show that kind of large detail find an off-site service and link to it or take closeups as suggested.
Hi Mongrel!

I'm going to respectfully disagree that we should be "lucky" that we can upload pictures! I've been a member of VDF since June, 2006 and they allowed uploading pictures. The same for just about every other forum I'm a member on, whether it's drum related, computer or stereo related. Even CL allows larger pictures than the "new" DFO website! eBay started out with a max size of 800x600 pixels. As the years went on, they understood the importance of larger pictures, now at 1600x1200 pixels on their servers.

I've yet to hear from an Admin about the choice to drop the hosted picture size by 50%!

-Mark

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had my forum going for over 15 years now and it allows you to upload as many pics as you like... no bandwidth issues whatsoever.
? Not sure what the difference is?

Fred Miranda (photography)
TriumphRat (motorcycle forum)
Honda forum
Kawasaki forum
My old Call of Duty "clan" forum (Extreme Idiots lol)
Drummerworld Forum (since changed-I just uploaded directly)
Old gaming forums I used to belong to (for uploading screen shots)
Bass Fishing forum...

I have a Smugmug account partly so I can upload my pics for sharing on forums. I have entire folders marked "drums", "cameras", "challenges", etc. Guess I should close it down now...lol.

Honestly, until I joined here I never belonged to a forum where you could just "drag and drop" a pic. In fact, I tried to link to a pic on the "bike" thread and it didn't work. That's how I found out.

Don't get me wrong-I MUCH prefer it this way!

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Mongrel!

I'm going to respectfully disagree that we should be "lucky" that we can upload pictures! I've been a member of VDF since June, 2006 and they allowed uploading pictures. The same for just about every other forum I'm a member on, whether it's drum related, computer or stereo related. Even CL allows larger pictures than the "new" DFO website! eBay started out with a max size of 800x600 pixels. As the years went on, they understood the importance of larger pictures, now at 1600x1200 pixels on their servers.

I've yet to hear from an Admin about the choice to drop the hosted picture size by 50%!

-Mark
Hey, sorry, Mark. I was just going to revise my post because I realized it came off as pretty "jack-ass-ISH" for lack of a better word. My apologies sir! Wasn't trying to be a jerk towards you, or suggest what you were asking was wrong in any way.

Certainly if it used to be that way, someone should have an explanation for you.

All the best,

Mongrel.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, sorry, Mark. I was just going to revise my post because I realized it came off as pretty "jack-ass-ISH" for lack of a better word. My apologies sir! Wasn't trying to be a jerk towards you, or suggest what you were asking was wrong in any way.

Certainly if it used to be that way, someone should have an explanation for you.

All the best,

Mongrel.
Hey Mongrel!

I didn't take your comments as "jack-ass-ISH" at all, but a big "thank you" for your explanation!

-Mark

Latest posts