Refinish a drum from Red To Black

cmrocco

Reaction score
I custom built a drum kit that is beautifully finished in red with transtint dyes and Arm-r-seal gloss. After many years I am kind of getting sick of the color. I would really like a black kit. I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding reworking this kit from red to black. I would like to do it without stripping it down (with cirtris stripper, etc.) then re-tinting, re-arm-r-sealing.

Would it be possible to just sand down the arm-r-seal to rough it up, then apply some other kind of black coating/finish. Or is this just a disaster waiting to happen?

20140831_220842.jpg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is really beautiful. I don't have the answer but I have 2 thoughts
1) While it won't get you to black ..years ago my band opened for (BOP) Harvey and their drummer would decorate his white kit with kitchen cabinet liner (cut out shapes, it has a slight adhesive)...it might help you get less board. 2) If no one knows...maybe try what your thinking on the bottom of the hoop or kick drum. Maybe...swap out the hardware...its really nice as is...

cmrocco

Reaction score
Thanks. I enjoyed making them. Here is a little better pic.
20140831_220904.jpg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could clean them with some tsp, sand to rough the finish, then spray some shellac on them then spray them black. Black is a difficult color, I would not recommend that. So how about wrapping them with a black drum wrap?

cmrocco

Reaction score
I think I will leave them as is. Just out of curiosity, what do you think I could sell these for? Keller maple shells. I have never sold one of my custom builds.

Perhaps I will just sell and start fresh with a new build.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those look beautiful as is. I'd do them in a black wrap and (in this particular instance) just tape the wrap on so you have the option of going back to original (when you come to your senses :) )

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can get black nitron wrap for pretty cheap from Precision and then do the tape job yourself.

I still think a cheap, easy and awesome look is to get some Con-Tact paper from Home Depot (like $10/roll). They make black simulated leather which is very similar to Ludwig's black panther finish. It has adhesive, is super easy to cut & apply, and is removable with no finish damage. I re-wrapped a set of DW pre-collectors drums and they look fantastic......I only needed one roll for a 12/14/18 and matching snare. I am guessing 2-3 rolls and in an afternoon, you will have a "new" black kit!!!

cmrocco

Reaction score
How is the contact paper remove-able with no finish damage? would the Back Nitron wrap be remove-able? with tape?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those look beautiful as is. I'd do them in a black wrap and (in this particular instance) just tape the wrap on so you have the option of going back to original (when you come to your senses :) )
What KO said! This kit is gorgeous just as it is, and you should leave it that way. Your impulse to go black is just an emotional one, and you are just as likely to regret it later on.

Having seconded KO's logical suggestion, you have some options should you decide to plow ahead:

* As noted before, cover them in a black wrap, and use the good quality tape to bond only the mating surfaces of the wrap. This will allow you to fulfill your color change, it will look good, and it can be reversed later on with no damage to the current finish.

* Naturally, a quality black paint job will look better than wrap - but if you don't have a quality spray gun and related necessities, send them out to an automotive body shop for spraying. They will apply a sealer that will prevent any chemical dissimilarities, then apply a beautiful deep catalyzed clear coat over a base black. All you will need to do is strip the shells and tape over the interiors from the bearing edges on down, with a strip of tape over all the holes, as well. This would be a piece of cake for a pro shop, and they may have enough paint material from other jobs that you wouldn't have to go full price for the (expensive!!!!!) paint.

Personally, I'd go with the wrap.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How is the contact paper remove-able with no finish damage? would the Back Nitron wrap be remove-able? with tape?
The black nitron wrap needs to be applied with glue so it will definitely damage the wood finish you have. You will need to prep the shells (ie: sanding which will ruin the current finish).....unless you decide to simply tape the wrap (not my preferred method). You can either tape to the shell (usually 2-3") which will leave a mark, or just tape to itself and not affix to the shell. The lugs will keep the shell wrap on.

As for Con-Tact paper, it sticks but is not a goopy heavy adhesive. It's like a big vinyl sticker. If I thought it would cause any real damage, I would not have used on my DW kit & Craviotto snare. Even if it does leave some residue, it's nothing some Goo Gone can't safely remove......

cmrocco

Reaction score
Ha. I think you are right. Originally, I choose red because I was once red that the root of all drumming and our responses to it are the beating heart.