Refinish cost

Mayan

Reaction score
I have a Slingerland kit, mahogany lacquer. 1970s (although the seller said 1968), and the floor and rack tom both look fine, save a scratch here and there. The bass drum though could use some attention. The deep mahogany color is a bit faded and the glaze sorta finish is missing in some spots. I’m not a gigging drummer, it’s just for my own eyes. So it is not at all a necessary fix. And if all of the hardware needs to be removed and the drum needs to be sanded down/stained/lacquered and reassembled like new, it may be rather costly.

I called the Drum Doctors, and I didn’t give as much detail, just said I had a Slingy mahogany bass drum I might wanna have refinished/re-lacquered. I asked for a ballpark and he said $450 without hesitating. I’m only asking because I’m curious, in general, about how much people who do work like this charge for their work. Also there is another recent thread about a purchase made from Drum Doctors, and the words “price gouging” are mentioned. $450 seems reasonable to me, actually, if all of that work has to be done. Any opinions on that?

It’s a 70s Slingerland mahogany 4 piece with a chrome Sound King snare, 14” A hats, 19” A crash, 20” K ride, hardware (2 cymbal booms, 2 snare stands, hi-hat stand, DW 5000 pedal), bass drum case, tom case, junk box on wheels, and it cost me $950. If I had spent $1400 initially, I wouldn’t feel like I overpaid, the drums do sound great. But does the slightly faded/dry look in some spots on the bass drum bother me enough right now to justify spending that much dough? Sure don’t know!

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd have fun "fixing" that bass. Pretty easy to do......I'm no woodworker by any means, just an amateur hack with some stain, poly, rubber gloves and a dream! With shipping you are probably close to $600!

I'd get some Citrustrip from Home Depot. Easy to use and "non-toxic". Strip whatever is on the bass. Heck, I'd probably strip all of them. I have used Minwax "gunstock" color to stain Slingy mahogany drums with luck. I'd go satin poly (not a fan of glossy finishes) and would fairly be easy to do.

I am doing a Gretch RB snare right now and Minwax red mahogany also looks nice - not too red.....close to your tom colors. But to be safe, you should do all 3 to have a real matching kit. For $450, I'd even do all 3 shells for you!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Call Drum lab in burbank - Talk to Chris!
His work is awesome and he tries everything he can to make it work for you cost-wise.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can just do the BD though. You have to do the whole kit, because then the BD will look much better than the rest of the kit. Matching would be difficult.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think you can just do the BD though. You have to do the whole kit, because then the BD will look much better than the rest of the kit. Matching would be difficult.
Yeah. It probably would. The drums have all faded over time and matching that would be a problem. Do they all currently match?

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
take off all the hardware and try this before you do anything rash. trust me............if you don't like it you can always strip it.

View attachment 450297
I agree with this ! I have done it with great results many times including a VERY rough Slingerland set in Mahogany that is a stunner now ! I am not so sure why so many here are so quick to refinish .

Last edited: