Refinishing Yamaha Beech

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Got some Beech Customs that have seen better days, other owner tried to repaint them. Never done anything with lacquer drums. The “Blueberry” lacquer is intact, but lots of swirl marks, should I try buffing/rubbing compound and polish them? Then clear them?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try stripping whatever hack repaint job is on them, and see what's underneath - maybe it's good? If not, I'd try to get them to the best "bare" wood condition you can, then maybe you can restain them blue and then hand finish with coats of poly.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are going to put a new color finish on you don’t need to strip the old finish off. Depending how bad the old finish is, you can just sand it smooth with fine sandpaper and them top coat it with your new finish. Of course if you are looking for a natural finish you will have to strip the drums.

If all you need to do is polish them out, you can carefully wet sand with 2000 and work your way up to 4000 grit.

If the old finish is indeed lacquer you use a “lacquer stripper” which is usually made from lacquer thinner with a bit of MEK. The tip off is what you wash it with. If you sue a stripper that has a water wash you will be in for twice as much work as water will raise the wood grain which will need lots of sanding. With a lacquer thinner wash you will be only removing the finish and the wood will remain jast as it was when the first finish went on it.

The thing you absolutely need to confirm is exactly what the current finish actually is. Nitro lacquer cannot be applied over some other finishes but goes on really easily over an existing lacquer coat. Nitro lacquer is now expensive and a little hard to find. Again, if water is mentioned anywhere then you don’t have Nitrocellulose lacquer. The new wipe on poly finishes are also very easy to work with and do not require spray equipment to apply them. Pro lacquer finishes do require spray equipment. It’s really, really hard to get them good spraying from a can and brushes will leave trails.

High gloss (piano like) finishes pretty much always require polishing out, which is a lot of work but do-able.

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
I’ll find out soon when the drum arrives what condition it really is. I’m hoping that I can just polish it up with some wet sanding and maybe spray a new clear to get it to pop.

philmets

Reaction score
I refinished a TAMA Artstar 2 kit last year, check it out...

Latest posts