Refurb on mid90s DW kit - questions for builders/refurbishers

Drummerpaul

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post, so please don’t be so hard on me ✌ I have a 1995 (if memory serves me) Drum Workshop kit (12-16-22) that was my first GOOD kit. I stepped up from late 80s Pearl Exports. I toured with my DWs in the 2000s and they have been my practice room (basement) kit ever since. I had a lighter/smaller Keller Maple kit made by a Maryland builder called MapleWorks when my back went to hell on me, and that is what I use for gigging locally now. My DW kit is natural with black powder-coated hardware (lugs, metal rims, etc.) The powder coat looks awful at this point, with chipping, flaking and general fuglyness.
Q1: What are my options for putting a different finish on the hardware such as chrome, black nickle chrome or ???
Q2: Am I better off fixing it up and selling it to the purchase some very light and small drums (bop sizes or smaller) from a good builder or.... should I have the shells cut to shallow depths to make the custom kit I want from what I already have? (Note: I might even make two kits from this one by cutting each shell to half depth.) Thoughts?

Dano

Reaction score
DW lugs show up on eBay. You’d have to buy chrome ones as plating is very expensive, but you could have yours stripped and re-powder coated.

I tried stripping a set of snare lugs at home once with lack luster results and ended up media blasting them to remove residue. I’d get a quote from a powder coater as I’m sure they handle these type of things regularly.

Worth noting, if they are shells with reinforcement rings, you’d loose that on half a drum in a re-size.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would not cut the shells. If the shells are good, you could try to sell your old lugs and get new ones in the color you want. You could try to soak the lug casings in Citrustrip to remove the paint - will likely leave a dull metal finish (think unpolished nickel). You could try to use a scouring pad to remove the black paint with similar results. Maybe reach out to DW to see what tips they have? Maybe you could sand then down and spray paint them a different color, too....I would imagine powder coating isn't cheap but that's a good option, too. I think someone recently posted a method to powder coat using tools/materials from Harbor Freight and then baking the items in an old oven.....

kallen49

Reaction score
I’ve messed up a few drums over the past 40 years and sold some I wish I hadn’t.
If the DW’s don’t have great sentimental value to you I’d sell them as is.
I doubt you would recoup the money you pay and time spent to restore or replace the hardware.
Agree that if you cut the shells you are trashing the Kit’s value. I’ve seen posts about DW shells, (Keller shells?), of that age being desirable?

I’d sell and use the cash to buy an Inde Kit. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts