Refurbished Speed King... ??

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
I had a refurbed Speedking (might have been from our own Bill here at DFO!?)... Liked it.
Sold it. (Why do we do these things?).

Looking for another.

Question is - buy an old one and refurb it myself or pop for an already clean one?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bentley's in Fresno had a bunch of vintage pedals professionally painted and refurbed a few months back......Camco, Ludwig, Rogers..... nicely painted in various enamel colors....not sure if they still do.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
And...You might just be able to find a well-kept example used original....It has to be well -kept not abused. In other words I trust mine I bought new in (?)..erm..e...1972-3-4? earlier?.... that I took it to a gig last St Pats before the lock. I had used it at home the past few years on a remote Lp Gajate bracket (to whack a cowbell) but had not taken it to an entire gig (gulp) in decades.

sunuvabugger it worked fine. I inspected it and played it a little before taking it out. The Screw that holds the beater- I think was tight-- I didn't wanna force it-- But made it thru Solid.
"Foot in a Box" pedal---that's my new saying/descript/ for The Speed King. I'll use it with my micro-bop little set when gigs return because it is still a quality steel/design pedal.
Maybe I should call it "Shoe in a house".

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
B/O

wow there's plenty strike while Iron Box is hot...

seems like 10 in decent looking shape can always get em serviced +/-

35bucks in 10 minutes

million of em- at the moment

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But the refurbished ones had improved/replaced aftermarket parts like better bushings and bearings, didn't they?

I remember because that's why they appealed to me. They were more of a SpeedKing 2.0 compared to refurbished.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I guess the answer to your question depends on yourself. Do you like tinkering/working on gear or not?

I’ve rehabbed about 4 pedals and enjoy that time.
I bought a ‘souped up one’ from Jesse when he had Drummechanix and it is great. One of the pedals I rehabbed I did like his using bushings/sleeves so no squeaks. You can get a standard Speed King to not squeak as it is. No bearing changes involved in either.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
I guess the answer to your question depends on yourself. Do you like tinkering/working on gear or not?

I would rather play drums as a hobby, but I am capable of disassembling/cleaning/reassembling if it would save >$50 and get me a better pedal.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
The ones at Bentleys were tuned up and felt like new tight modern pedals with vintage car paint color accents. To me, more of a display item vs. playing pedal. If you know how to fix the old ones then find a "beater" pedal and go for it.

Last edited:

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another option is seeing if polyphonic has a finished pedal for sale.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^ I met him at the Delaware drum show in 2019 super nice guy and he does great work!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember a story about how Charlie Watts got into Bennetts(?) shop and tried a couple of Speed Kings and bought the ones he felt comfortable with.
When they told him "you can adjust the tension" he looked surprised - he never knew you could adjust it and just bought new ones when the older didn't feel good anymore...

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vincent Leef in Maryland does killer speed king restos. You can find him on Facebook.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
snag a WFL model if you can find one...seems better than the newer ones to me for some unknown reason, mine's still going strong after 60 yrs of use with just a lube/cleanup job (once)...fwiw