Regal 8A Maple or Hickory

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have both..
Started with the hickory because it had that great lacquer grip.
Then tried the maple... about 6 grams lighter with a natural finish.

Not sure which to go with.
The hickory is easier to hold onto and a bit beefer.
The maple feels a little easier on my hands.

Any opinions

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me, the 8A is an already light stick, and the maple version makes it way TOO light. Durability is also an issue for me, as maple just doesn't last as long as hickory

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
I find maple sticks are a bit better for quiet/light playing. Hickory seems to work better, for me at least, when I'm playing louder, more rocking music.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Maple is too soft to get enough sound out of the ride cymbal. It may sound good to you, but the audience can't hear it.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
With a thin stick like an 8A I prefer a denser wood, in order to get more power, more tone (especially from cymbals). I only like a less-dense wood like sugar maple for fat-diameter sticks, where they would otherwise be too heavy.

R

RickP

Different strokes for different folks, I have found I can use my maple 8As for any kind of gig that I play whether it be an acoustic trio, Big Band or Rock/Pop gig.
I have never had anyone complaining that they could not hear my cymbals either.

I like the feel of the maple 8a and as stated previously I use the hickory 8a as well with a slight lean towards preference towards the maple 8A.

Burps

Reaction score
Regal Tip 8A hickory are the first sticks that I learned to love after trying a bunch of various types of sticks over the years. I mostly played these for quite a while until I wanted a lighter stick because my hands were starting to have problems. I went mostly with Vater 5A maple and 8A maple for a couple of years now.

My hands have been feeling a lot better lately so I took out my hickory Regal Tip 8A's at church last week to see how it felt and sounded after not using them for over 2 years. Whoa! I was shocked at how much I missed them! The extra weight and that glossy finish was so pleasing to me while I was playing. I was really enjoying the sound they were producing. Hearing the recording of the drums also sounded much better and fuller to me than what I have been hearing with the lighter maple sticks. To be honest, I was amazed at the difference in volume too. I know that sticks can make a big difference in sound and volume. But it was more than I expected. I can't wait to play the 8A hickories again this weekend!

kzoosteve

Reaction score
Adding to this, if you love the 8A maple but want more meat, try the 9A. Same diameter (.580) with a short taper. I play with either the Regal Tip Maple 5A's, 8A's or 9A's now depending on venue.

Steve

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
8A hickory for rock/pop for many years. Not a maple fan at all due to the mushiness of feel and definition. I just lighten up my playing if needed.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've wanted to try Regal's. We always used to use those in band class in the 80's. Never tried them after that. Always went with Pro Mark till I tried Los Cabos red hickory. I don't need anything else! They are perfect! But I still would try Regal's.

Maggot

Reaction score
For me, maple is for big, burly sticks like Power 5B and SD9, so then they won't weigh as much. For regular-size sticks, unless volume is an issue, hickory is way better.

Latest posts