Regal Tip Drumsticks!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to post about Regal Tip. I used them many years ago in school for band. I remember that's all the school would buy back then. Throughout the years I think I used everything else except Regal Tip for personal use because the Regal Tips were always difficult to find in stores for me. Lately I had settled on Los Cabos Red hickory 5b's and that's what I had been using. They were really good but just not quite a true 5B in diameter. Any of their larger sizes were overkill. Well, I saw some Regal Tip 5B wood tips online and bought a couple of pairs. All I can say is wow! I can't believe what I've been missing. I think these are the best sticks I've ever used. The diameter, balance, weight, finish and feel is what I've always wanted in a stick. I have dry hands so the laquered finish feels like the sticks are adhered to my hands. As hard as they are to come by, I hope they keep making them always. I love them!

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post about Regal Tip. I used them many years ago in school for band. I remember that's all the school would buy back then. Throughout the years I think I used everything else except Regal Tip for personal use because the Regal Tips were always difficult to find in stores for me. Lately I had settled on Los Cabos Red hickory 5b's and that's what I had been using. They were really good but just not quite a true 5B in diameter. Any of their larger sizes were overkill. Well, I saw some Regal Tip 5B wood tips online and bought a couple of pairs. All I can say is wow! I can't believe what I've been missing. I think these are the best sticks I've ever used. The diameter, balance, weight, finish and feel is what I've always wanted in a stick. I have dry hands so the laquered finish feels like the sticks are adhered to my hands. As hard as they are to come by, I hope they keep making them always. I love them!
Two straight, pitch matched Regal Tip sticks are the greatest sticks available. But, I can’t remember the last time I had such a pair. Over 20 years ago or more.

So, I use the Erskine Ride stick (which used to have a light lacquer on them, but not lately), and I spray them down with shellac. Not as good as Regal lacquer, but, better than bare wood.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regal Tip 7a for many, many years. Occasionally nylon tip. Great sticks, consistent quality, give em a test drive if you haven't.
Have to disagree about consistent quality. Quality control has been inconsistent for a long time. That's why I switched to VF.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is Regal Tip even still a company? To me, it looks like they have ceased operations. Anyone have any inside information? I love their Billy Martin sticks.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL I remember years ago when I started playing Big Band style with unmic'ed drums and needed a stick with more definition. I tried Regal Tip plastic tip and about half way through the first gig the tips exploded. I say exploded because pieces of the tips landed on the horn players music stands. That's when I started playing ProMark, although they did improve the quality after that.

sherm

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My preferred stick is Regal Tip Rock nylon tip 113NT but they seem to be pretty hard to find these days, I used to just get them on Amazon.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
From what I'm reading they are redoing their whole entire operation and should be back to what they used to be. I think they are moving more towards a factory direct sales model. Regal Tip has a Facebook page where they post what they are up to. The two sets I bought seem to be pretty consistent, straight and of good quality. I don't see them quality wise any less than any other brand.
Luckily I don't use nylon tips so I don't have to worry about exploding tips, Lol!!

Vicey

Reaction score
The most horribly warped sticks I have ever owned came from Regal Tip. They looked like bananas. This was decades ago. Unfair or not, it really put me off the brand.

HeavyG

Reaction score
I've been using Regal Tip 5B nylon tip sticks since the early 1980's. Seems no one keeps them in stock, but at my request, my local music shop keeps some on hand just for me. I've tried a a few other sticks over the years but nothing else feels the same to me. I've never had any issues with quality.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From what I'm reading they are redoing their whole entire operation and should be back to what they used to be. I think they are moving more towards a factory direct sales model. Regal Tip has a Facebook page where they post what they are up to. The two sets I bought seem to be pretty consistent, straight and of good quality. I don't see them quality wise any less than any other brand.
Luckily I don't use nylon tips so I don't have to worry about exploding tips, Lol!!
Put your sticks on a glass table top, roll them, and watch the tips bob up and down. I’ve been through a whole bin of Regals and not been able to find two straight ones. Never mind pitch matched.

Glad to hear they are making an effort to come back. I hope that includes an improved approach to QC.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Put your sticks on a glass table top, roll them, and watch the tips bob up and down. I’ve been through a whole bin of Regals and not been able to find two straight ones. Never mind pitch matched.

Glad to hear they are making an effort to come back. I hope that includes an improved approach to QC.
Never had that problem.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love them when they're from a decent batch, but I too have had terrible luck with them QC-wise. It would be almost funny how many dollars I've wasted on what turned out to be unusable Regal Tip products, were it not for my wallet crying over the laughter.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love them when they're from a decent batch, but I too have had terrible luck with them QC-wise. It would be almost funny how many dollars I've wasted on what turned out to be unusable Regal Tip products, were it not for my wallet crying over the laughter.
That’s my experience. Would LOVE a Regal comeback

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever given much thought about pitch matching. I always understood that it was really important for marching sticks. Up to now I've never focused on that and it's been fine regardless of brand. I just like to play and try not to overthink the science of sticks. (now for drums, cymbals & hardware, I will overthink things) I just like for my sticks to feel good in my hands by having the right diameter, texture & weight. The only thing I would ever focus on when I would buy at a store was rolling the sticks to make sure they were straight. I'm gonna play them regardless especially now that I'm not buying them in stores. I order online and receive them and I'm gonna play them. In regards to the the Regal tips I bought, they are straight. So either I got lucky or I'm really bad at QC, Lol!!
Bottom line for me as I originally posted, they are the best sticks I've played and I'll be buying more and more as I find them.

Last edited: