Regal Tip Drumsticks!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever given much thought about pitch matching. I always understood that it was really important for marching sticks. Up to now I've never focused on that and it's been fine regardless of brand. I just like to play and try not to overthink the science of sticks. (now for drums, cymbals & hardware, I will overthink things) I just like for my sticks to feel good in my hands by having the right diameter, texture & weight. The only thing I would ever focus on when I would buy at a store was rolling the sticks to make sure they were straight. I'm gonna play them regardless especially now that I'm not buying them in stores. I order online and receive them and I'm gonna play them. In regards to the the Regal tips I bought, they are straight. So either I got lucky or I'm really bad at QC, Lol!!
Bottom line for me as I originally posted, they are the best sticks I've played and I'll be buying more and more as I find them.
It’s something VF markets on. You can hear differences it on the practice pad. Not so much on drums.

pgm554

Reaction score
LOL I remember years ago when I started playing Big Band style with unmic'ed drums and needed a stick with more definition. I tried Regal Tip plastic tip and about half way through the first gig the tips exploded. I say exploded because pieces of the tips landed on the horn players music stands. That's when I started playing ProMark, although they did improve the quality after that.

sherm
Never had a pair shatter on me.
Ludwigs would slip off the shaft,but never shattered.
I do remember buying a pair of Montgomery Wards drum sticks and lending them to Vince Colaiuta in Jr high.
He was playing the Horse with the band on his drumset and during the solo the "nylon" tips shattered into a million pieces.
Lesson learned about cheap drum sticks.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Haven't thought about Regal Tips for years. Back in the early 60s (about 61 or 62) I bought from a music store in Salt Lake City a box of 2 of the newly released nylon tipped Regal Tips. Yes, they came in a box and were dark stained wood. Played only nylon R.T.s for years until I realized I liked the sound of an acorn shaped wood tip better.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regal Tip are my preferred brand of sticks - I have three models that I use for my various gigs. The 8a in maple and hickory and the Billy Martin ( formerly the Bob Gatzen) models are my favourite sticks.
Sadly, I tried to order a brick of 8a maples directly from Regal Tip , waited three months , no sticks . Sent a couple of emails quoting the order number to regal Tip with no response. Filed a claim through PayPal and surprise surprise regal Tip responded. They informed me that the factory had been closed for COVID-19 and that she ( Michelle Calato) only came into the office once a week to answer emails and get orders entered.
I told her that she did not do a good job with correspondence and that I wanted my order cancelled.

I recently picked up some Vater Mike Johnson maple version sticks that look to be a good substitute for my 8a maples. Sadly they don't have the regal Tip finish.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
They informed me that the factory had been closed for COVID-19 and that she ( Michelle Calato) only came into the office once a week to answer emails and get orders entered.
I imagine how that place must be after reading these stories. They must have like zero technology in there. I guess they missed the memo that you can actually do all that stuff remotely on a daily basis (since the late 90's!). I know how important answering clients issues are. I can't imagine ignoring my clients. I answer immediately even if I can't take care of them at that moment. I at least send a message saying that I will contact them as soon as I can. Also seems like Regal Tip doesn't do a good job at keeping people informed of what they are doing internally. I also wonder how they service the people that endorse their products? It's pretty sad to see such an old company that had prestige in it's heyday being run that way. What's amazing is that they apparently don't do anything to fix the system very well knowing that they are sitting on a goldmine!
Lots of competitors out there that will gladly take their business. They need to learn from companies like Aquarian, I've called and a human has answered and they've bent over backwards to take care of the problem. That's why they will always have my business! This is my first time in my adult life using Regal Tip and like I said, I love the sticks. I'll keep buying what I find and hope that they fix their issues. I finally found the right sticks and don't want to lose them. I'm gonna stock up just in case!

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I used to like their "Rock" nylon tip.
I'd like to give their "E" series stick a go.
....might have to find a par of 5AE's and give 'em a try.

Elvis

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to like their "Rock" nylon tip.
I'd like to give their "E" series stick a go.
....might have to find a par of 5AE's and give 'em a try.

Elvis
Hard to find! All I see right now available anywhere is leftover stock of common sizes like 5A & 5B. Hopefully they get back on track and start producing everything. I do see though that they take direct orders thru their website. Don't know how reliable that is right now though.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I see 5A wood tips @ Amazon, but it looks like they're.....$14/pair? (price includes shipping)...Sam Ash says they have Regal Tip sticks, too....ask them if they have what you want.....

(give the form a little time to load, or just call them)

Buying from the Regal Tip website seems to only lead you to a list of distributors, so it seems they're telling you to order from them.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I see 5A wood tips @ Amazon, but it looks like they're.....$14/pair? (price includes shipping)...Sam Ash says they have Regal Tip sticks, too....ask them if they have what you want.....

(give the form a little time to load, or just call them)

Buying from the Regal Tip website seems to only lead you to a list of distributors, so it seems they're telling you to order from them.
Ah OK. I'll try Sam Ash too. So far they have what I need on Amazon (Cascio). 5B wood tip! I paid $22 for 2 pairs including shipping. Not bad! I just received them a couple of days ago. I've got 2 Sam Ash locations about 30 min from me. If I'm in the area anytime soon, I'll stop in to see what they got. Their online stock check never matches what's in store. I've learned that with Sam Ash. I just checked both locations online and it shows they have plenty of the 5B in stock. Hope it's true, I'm gonna go by this week and stock up.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard to find! All I see right now available anywhere is leftover stock of common sizes like 5A & 5B. Hopefully they get back on track and start producing everything. I do see though that they take direct orders thru their website. Don't know how reliable that is right now though.
Taking your order (and your money) and actually shipping are two different things for Regal Tip . I found this out from personal experience .

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Just wanted to post about Regal Tip. I used them many years ago in school for band. I remember that's all the school would buy back then. Throughout the years I think I used everything else except Regal Tip for personal use because the Regal Tips were always difficult to find in stores for me. Lately I had settled on Los Cabos Red hickory 5b's and that's what I had been using. They were really good but just not quite a true 5B in diameter. Any of their larger sizes were overkill. Well, I saw some Regal Tip 5B wood tips online and bought a couple of pairs. All I can say is wow! I can't believe what I've been missing. I think these are the best sticks I've ever used. The diameter, balance, weight, finish and feel is what I've always wanted in a stick. I have dry hands so the laquered finish feels like the sticks are adhered to my hands. As hard as they are to come by, I hope they keep making them always. I love them!
I love Regal Tips. Louie Bellson gave me a pair in 1977 when I asked him a question about them. The Calato Family is also wonderful. I have a pair autographed by Joe Calato

KevinD

Reaction score
Last time I was at Alto Music in Middletown NY they had a good stock of Regal Tips sticks, one of the only places I could find the Jake Hanna model. They told me that things were really "quiet" regarding any correspondence from the company, and were not sure when they would be getting more in.

Going to their website, they have a number of Regal Tip sticks listed for $7.99 BUT I clicked on a few of them and there is a note saying
"Product is currently on order with the manufacturer." Too bad

But still, I recall them having more in stock was there (before X Mas so YMMV) it might be worth calling them to see what they have.
(hard to tell by the website if they are fully open or not, but there is probably someone to answer the phones.)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I love Regal Tips. Louie Bellson gave me a pair in 1977 when I asked him a question about them. The Calato Family is also wonderful. I have a pair autographed by Joe Calato
His daughter, Carol, just celebrated 47 years with the company.

Michael Weber

Reaction score
Just wanted to post about Regal Tip. I used them many years ago in school for band. I remember that's all the school would buy back then. Throughout the years I think I used everything else except Regal Tip for personal use because the Regal Tips were always difficult to find in stores for me. Lately I had settled on Los Cabos Red hickory 5b's and that's what I had been using. They were really good but just not quite a true 5B in diameter. Any of their larger sizes were overkill. Well, I saw some Regal Tip 5B wood tips online and bought a couple of pairs. All I can say is wow! I can't believe what I've been missing. I think these are the best sticks I've ever used. The diameter, balance, weight, finish and feel is what I've always wanted in a stick. I have dry hands so the laquered finish feels like the sticks are adhered to my hands. As hard as they are to come by, I hope they keep making them always. I love them!
Have you tried the DoubleGlaze series by Vic Firth? Not the exact same finish, but a double lacquer coating That’s quite similar and they come in a handful of popular sizes, including 5B. May be worth checking out, they should always be in stock in many shops and definitely online!

Michael Weber

Reaction score
It’s something VF markets on. You can hear differences it on the practice pad. Not so much on drums.
Pitch/tone pairing of sticks is only partially about the sound, but can play a big part in how the stick feels and responds. If you have a lower pitched stick in one hand and a high pitched stick in the other, the lower pitched stick would feel flat/dead in comparison. It’s certainly a nuance, but noticible. That’s why most artists ask for high pitched and heavy sticks. Better feel/response, better durability. I AM biased towards Vic Firth though :)

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you tried the DoubleGlaze series by Vic Firth? Not the exact same finish, but a double lacquer coating That’s quite similar and they come in a handful of popular sizes, including 5B. May be worth checking out, they should always be in stock in many shops and definitely online!
I haven't but did see them on the Vic Firth website. I'm gonna stop by Sam Ash this week to check on their Regal Tip stock and if they have them, I'll try them out there.

10 Lug

Reaction score
Me too! And the Combo if I need to play light. They are available online.
My “local” store Village Drum Shop in RI stocks them.
Contacted Anthony at The Village Drum shop, no Combo's in stock, has been trying for a year to get them.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last time I was at Alto Music in Middletown NY they had a good stock of Regal Tips sticks, one of the only places I could find the Jake Hanna model. They told me that things were really "quiet" regarding any correspondence from the company, and were not sure when they would be getting more in.

Going to their website, they have a number of Regal Tip sticks listed for $7.99 BUT I clicked on a few of them and there is a note saying
"Product is currently on order with the manufacturer." Too bad

But still, I recall them having more in stock was there (before X Mas so YMMV) it might be worth calling them to see what they have.
(hard to tell by the website if they are fully open or not, but there is probably someone to answer the phones.)
Funny, when I used to travel back to New York I would always stop the the original Alto Music in Rockland just to get Regal Sticks as I could never find them anywhere else.
A couple years ago I was in Philadelphia and bought a bunch of Regals at Steve Weiss music (though they don't have a storefront). Maybe they still have stock.

Latest posts