Regal Tip Drumsticks!

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apparently, the old made in house machinery was no longer serviceable and now Regal has to modernize. I played their sticks since at least 1965 (always nylon tips, never had one come apart!). My local music store sold me the last of RT Jazz (my go-to stick since forever), but I haven't had any luck finding any 5As, which for me are rather heavy, but useful. I used to keep on hand: Silhouette, 7A, Jazz, Rock, 5A & 5B. The Rock version was medium thick, at least to me, and had a thicker shoulder than the 5A: Just the thing for...Rock! For my 5A Jones, Guitar Center has Sound Percussion 5AN without the shiny finish of a Regal. Obvious Caveat Emptor: I always roll any stick on the glass countertop at the store; never had that much trouble finding straight ones, although I have to say the warped ones are really warped, Mr.Sulu!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just got back from Sam Ash. I went to 2 locations closest to me. All that was left were 5A, 5B & 7A. I hand picked 5 pairs of 5B and 1 pair of 5A. Both wood tips! After buying what I bought, the only thing left was 1 pair of 5A nylon tips and 1 pair of 7A wood tips and a few warped sticks that I rejected. That's it!
So I was able to stock up on 6 pairs. The guy told me that as far as he knows, they are done with Regal Tip. He says they are probably not going to continue carrying them.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
All I play is Regal Tips. 30 plus years. And to tell you, I don't really care if they are straight or not, I just play em. What happens to yinz if you play with slightly warp stick? Do you feel it? Does it affect your timing? Just asking.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
All I play is Regal Tips. 30 plus years. And to tell you, I don't really care if they are straight or not, I just play em. What happens to yinz if you play with slightly warp stick? Do you feel it? Does it affect your timing? Just asking.
I can feel it. It has to be past a certain point; the thing is, I can't tell you what that point is! I don't know if it would affect my playing because any stick warped enough that I could feel it, I wouldn't play with. On the other hand, I have to roll my eyes at the guys that require a certain kind of surface to roll their sticks and that watch the stick roll with the intensity of a brain surgeon and reject anything that is not absolutely perfect.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm with you! The ones I rejected at Sam Ash though we're very very warped + 2 of them had splintered tips.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can feel it. It has to be past a certain point; the thing is, I can't tell you what that point is! I don't know if it would affect my playing because any stick warped enough that I could feel it, I wouldn't play with. On the other hand, I have to roll my eyes at the guys that require a certain kind of surface to roll their sticks and that watch the stick roll with the intensity of a brain surgeon and reject anything that is not absolutely perfect.
I just do a quick roll on the countertop & inspect the tips for splintering. The ones I left at the store were warped to the point that they were unplayable. You would push them to roll and they would stop like if they hit a major bump.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the plain old Jazz and 7A models.
Wood tips.

Ive always had great luck. I order 95% of my drum equipment from Steve Weiss.
Never ever got a bad pair of sticks from Steve Weiss.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the plain old Jazz and 7A models.
Wood tips.

Ive always had great luck. I order 95% of my drum equipment from Steve Weiss.
Never ever got a bad pair of sticks from Steve Weiss.
Another reason to buy from a dedicated drum shop. They probably weed out the sticks that are unsuitable. You're not going to get that kind of service buying online from Amazon and Walmart.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another reason to buy from a dedicated drum shop. They probably weed out the sticks that are unsuitable. You're not going to get that kind of service buying online from Amazon and Walmart.
Probably the case ... I bought a certain manufacturer's head on Amazon for a too good to be true price. It was warped. Sent it back. Later ordered a different model and size from the same manufacturer for another good price from Amazon and that was warped as well.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably the case ... I bought a certain manufacturer's head on Amazon for a too good to be true price. It was warped. Sent it back. Later ordered a different model and size from the same manufacturer for another good price from Amazon and that was warped as well.
That was my buying experience buying Aquarian heads. Price was great, but when it arrived I understood why. It was warped and looked used. Then the replacement Amazon sent was just as bad as the first. Never again! Seems like they have second rate stuff when it comes to heads.

pgm554

Reaction score
Why I look for warps is that a warp is usually a tell tale sign that the grain is not straight throughout the stick and that leads to premature breakage.
At $10 bucks a pop these days I want some high qualty sticks ,not seconds.

Although RT seconds (JoJo)were damn fine sticks.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Regal Tip 2B wood and nylon tip is what I've been using last couple of years . I can lighten my touch and not lose fullness of sound with these heavier, thicker sticks . Regal's shoulders and tips are more durable than any other brand I've tried .

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love RT sticks, I have not found a finish that I like as much as theirs. However, I am looking for a new stick, they have been out to lunch for far too long. Almost 2 years to get a model in stock? I loved the Brian Tichy model, but now he is with Promark, so who knows if they'll keep that model in the lineup under a different name. What kind of business model are they working with? I can see shutting down to update, but years? No social media presence, old website, no communication whatsoever, so much so that a lot of people thought they went out of business. How long did they expect drummers to wait for a common model before moving on?

kzoosteve

Reaction score
As a big Regal Tip fan, given availability issues as of late, I've tried/been using the Vic Firth Double Glaze 5B's and really like them. Similar feel to the RT's in my opinion and they make and a handful of sizes now.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've gotta try those VF double glaze. It's gonna be a while though because I'm receiving 4 pairs of regular VF American classic 5B's this week. I got those from Cascio for less than $5 a pair thru their eBay page. I figured that for that price I would try them out. I also have all the Regal Tips that I got at Sam Ash yesterday. I'm stocked up for a while!

Skeet6

Reaction score
Last time I was at Alto Music in Middletown NY they had a good stock of Regal Tips sticks, one of the only places I could find the Jake Hanna model. They told me that things were really "quiet" regarding any correspondence from the company, and were not sure when they would be getting more in.

Going to their website, they have a number of Regal Tip sticks listed for $7.99 BUT I clicked on a few of them and there is a note saying
"Product is currently on order with the manufacturer." Too bad

But still, I recall them having more in stock was there (before X Mas so YMMV) it might be worth calling them to see what they have.
(hard to tell by the website if they are fully open or not, but there is probably someone to answer the phones.)
They're open kind of by appointment. I called to order a 18" Gretsch logo bass drum head. The nice young man I spoke to put me on a brief hold, and found one in stock for me. I paid over the phone, and picked it up on my way home from work. Give them a call!
Mike B

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread this morning, and I thought about my friend that is very critical to make sure his sticks are perfect pitched and perfectly straight before he buys them. Then he goes to a gig and plays with the biggest wrist watch I had ever seen before on his left wrist. I don't play with a watch. Just seems a little weird to be so critical of the sticks but play with a watch that might weigh 1lb. I can play with not straight sticks, but a watch just feels wrong to me.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regal Tips for Life! Love em above & beyond..I'm a proud endorser! :-D
Really ? Please tell them to get their act together and start getting better at Customer Service and having stock available .

Latest posts