Regal Tip Drumsticks!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you guys don’t get is that Regal Tip/Calato is a very small family run business. They have had a big imprint in the drumstick world because of their innovation at the beginning of drumstick development. But they were never a huge company, they just made a good product at a time when there weren’t a lot of options. Up until last year they were using the same lathes that Joe Calato had hand built in the 1960’s. The upgrade was a necessity. The drum equipment business has grown immensely in the past 40-60 years. Many of the companies that are around now didn’t even exist. The Calatos don’t seem to be trying to be a major player anymore. Joe is 90 something. His son and daughters have all retired or gotten out of the business it’s all on his granddaughter at this point. You can complain about quality control and marketing and all of that but I honestly don’t think they care. They make great sticks and brushes. Those who like them swear by them and the rest can use Vic Firth.

Incidentally they have been slow to respond to endorsers (I’m one) but when I got my dozen pairs of Jazz wood tips requested in the heaviest weight they had, I got some of the best sticks ever. They have been getting great wood and that is the thing that makes good sticks. All drumstick manufacturers are at the mercy of their wood supplier.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really ? Please tell them to get their act together and start getting better at Customer Service and having stock available .
Yes I am. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I order 4 bricks at a time & specify what I like..i.e. heavy & high pitched & have been very pleased with what I receive. ...It's been a several months since my last order & just now getting to the bottom of my stash. The only issues I've had is that I play 9A's & a few big name guys order massive amounts of em so timing can be an issue. I'm betting now that we are all in lockdown..tours are dead so production as well as orders are down in a massive way..

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to inform. I follow Regal Tip on Instagram and they just posted yesterday that if anyone needs any of their sticks, they can order them direct on the website. They've had this option for a while but people complained that they were unresponsive. I'm assuming that if someone at Regal Tip has posted this message on Instagram, it means that they are actually up and running.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to inform. I follow Regal Tip on Instagram and they just posted yesterday that if anyone needs any of their sticks, they can order them direct on the website. They've had this option for a while but people complained that they were unresponsive. I'm assuming that if someone at Regal Tip has posted this message on Instagram, it means that they are actually up and running.
Regal Tip has posted on Instagram all through the Pandemic . This doesn’t mean they can meet their manufacturing and shipping obligations . They have shot themselves in the foot now . Dealers I used to buy Regal Tip sticks from have told me they will no longer carry their sticks even if they do ramp up again . They are also pissed that Regal Tip has been selling direct . Literally completing with companies selling their product . Regal Tip has fences to mend that will most likely never be mended .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regal Tip has posted on Instagram all through the Pandemic . This doesn’t mean they can meet their manufacturing and shipping obligations . They have shot themselves in the foot now . Dealers I used to buy Regal Tip sticks from have told me they will no longer carry their sticks even if they do ramp up again . They are also pissed that Regal Tip has been selling direct . Literally completing with companies selling their product . Regal Tip has fences to mend that will most likely never be mended .
I agree but I haven't seen any postings from them throughout the pandemic advising people to buy from the website. I'm assuming that if they are doing that it's because they are actually shipping what people are currently ordering. I'm an end user like most so whatever they do in terms of how they sell is between them and the dealers. Many companies now sell thru dealers and direct as well. They might need mending with dealers but I doubt they'll need much with the consumers. People just want their Regal Tips!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree. Great sticks and always consistent. But we can agree to disagree.
I depleted all the stock that my 2 local Sam Ash stores had a couple months ago and they are all nice and straight. I left 1 pair behind that rolled like a flat tire out of quite a few pairs they had. Not bad! So I'd say the consistency is pretty good.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I went to the RT website and saw nothing about ordering drumsticks there.
I went to the distributors page and looked up United States.
I did find a link to "RegalTip Factory Direct", but when I clicked on it, all it came up with is "your information is not private"....meaning that site is fraught with danger.
I clicked off of it at that point, as that's usually a warning that the site one is about to enter is pretty "buggy".

lrod1707,

If you can still reply to that announcement, could you please inform them about that. I get the feeling that's probably what they're talking about and they don't know the direct sales site has issues.

Elvis

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did find a link to "RegalTip Factory Direct", but when I clicked on it, all it came up with is "your information is not private"....meaning that site is fraught with danger.
I clicked off of it at that point, as that's usually a warning that the site one is about to enter is pretty "buggy".

lrod1707,

If you can still reply to that announcement, could you please inform them about that. I get the feeling that's probably what they're talking about and they don't know the direct sales site has issues.

Elvis
That's weird! I just tried out of curiosity. I selected Wood tip 5b's and just below it their is a button that says "Buy direct". I clicked it and added them to the cart and all smooth from there. Using Google Chrome by the way.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

lrod1707,

Elvis
Read what I just posted. Sorry, you clicked like before I rewrote it all. Either way, I'll let them know.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's weird! I just tried out of curiosity. I selected Wood tip 5b's and just below it their is a button that says "Buy direct". I clicked it and added them to the cart and all smooth from there. Using Google Chrome by the way.
Ok, I see what's going on now.
I looked for an order page, instead of just clicking on the stick I wanted.
Ok, I tried it....almost.....$10.00 for shipping?
One pair of sticks?
Really?
Gotta do better than that, Carol.
I'll look into my local retailer.
Thanks for the heads up, though.

Elvis

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then they try and sell direct from a website that doesn't work.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
The most horribly warped sticks I have ever owned came from Regal Tip. They looked like bananas. This was decades ago. Unfair or not, it really put me off the brand.
You should have seen Ludwigs in the 70’s. A disaster.