Reinstalling badges

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a double face tape, can always be removed later if need be. no tape or glue badge may spin on you.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers foil badges get glues down on my restorations.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also use a thin double sided tape for my badges as well. It's photo mounting tape so pretty thin but very aggressive.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
For a small one, like a Ludwig Keystone or Gretsch RB, they didn't bother and I don't either. But Ludwig used rubber cement or something like it on the B/O badges, and Gretsch SSB and later can spin. I think the picture mounting tape sounds like a good compromise.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
CaptainCrunch said:
For a small one, like a Ludwig Keystone or Gretsch RB, they didn't bother and I don't either. But Ludwig used rubber cement or something like it on the B/O badges, and Gretsch SSB and later can spin. I think the picture mounting tape sounds like a good compromise.
The B/O badges were made with a peel and stick backing with an acrylic adhesive. Here's one that was never used. It was "liberated" from its assembly bin during a tour of the Chicago factory back in the mid 1970's (I didn't take it but one of my classmates did and I traded him my factory reject souvenir drumstick for the badge during the bus trip home).

When removing B/O badges I use fishing leader to cut through the adhesive under the badge. Some B/O badges will fall right off when the grommet is removed but most retain some hold to the shell. Some remain stuck down quite well even after 40 some years and you will bend them up trying to get them off just by prying up (hitting them with some heat from a hair dryer helps too). When putting them back on I give the backside a light coating of 3M spray glue.

Attachments