Reissued Big Beat thoughts

Drummingfool11

Reaction score
Happy Sunday all. What are your thoughts on the reissued big beat vistalites? I had a set of 70s red that I really liked, but was nervous to take them out due to cracking, splitting, etcetera. I really love their sound and I am considering unloading a set that is around equal value to a new 12/13/16/22 with snare. I like bass drum mounted toms, so I am curious if the old issues are gone or if anyone has a set that can speak up. Thanks in advance.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have owned three modern Vistalites (Amber, Blue, Yellow) and I will tell you that they are superior to the vintage 70s/early 80s versions. The bearing edges are perfection, the seams are better and they have a better compound used to glue the drums together. I can tell you that the drums sound super fat, round, and wet. I love these drums and I have compared them sonically to a buddy's 70s kit and there was no comparison... The old drums almost sound boxy in comparison. The new modern Vista's eat them for lunch. All of my drums have Gauger RIMS on the rack toms.
Now, acrylic can be prone to cracking, but I have heard about more seamless shells cracking than the seamed ones, for some reason. Most of the cracking seems to be on the bass drums with mounted toms on top of them. As much as I love having my toms mounted on my bass drum, I wouldn't mount toms on a Vistalite bass drums, just for safe keeping. I think that this removes the risk of cracking greatly. At any rate, the drums are a winner and if I could only have a Vistalite kit for the rest of my life, I would be very happy.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I toured with an original clear Vistalite kit between 1973 and 1977. The six single-headed toms were transported nested inside one another in two old-school fibre cases while the two double-headed toms and two bass drums each had their own fibre case.

During that time the 10 Vistalites (plus a Fibes fiberglass snare) survived over 1,200 set-ups and tear-downs, three truck accidents (one was a lay-down, one was a roll-over and the third was a head-on into a tree at 50 MPH — the sleeping roadies emerged unscathed!), and being stored in our equipment truck outdoors in Minnesota, where the temperature ranged between over 100 degrees F in the summer and –30 degrees F in the winter.

Not one of those drums ever developed a crack on a seam or any other problem whatsoever. All ten drums had consistent 45-degree edges with smooth head-contact points and stayed round enough to easily tune and accept a drumhead. In fact, when I sold the kit in 1982 the parts that looked the most road-weary were the wood bass drum hoops. (Although the fibre cases were totally trashed.)

I do agree with Treviso1 about their sounding "boxy" (mostly fundamental pitch with not many overtones), but they were punchy and loud, and cut-through our ridiculously loud guitar, keyboard and bass amplification. Considering all that me and my band put them through I would give that drumset a score of 10 out of 10 in reliability. If today's new Vistalites are made even better and sound even better, that's a definite win-win!

freeflydawn

Reaction score
I have a set of the green sparkle reissues in 24/13/16/18 and a set of the tequila sunrise reissues in 22/13/16 with matching snare. I absolutely love them. I can't speak for the originals though and their sound comparison but the description above is spot on to me! (super fat, round and wet!)