header.nohb.html

Remarkable what a drum stick (tip, especially) does for a cymbal!

stick2it

Reaction score
It's remarkable what a drum stick (tip, especially) does for a cymbal....

Over the July 4th weekend, I played a small-group jazz gig with a vocalist outdoors for a larger audience and I thought, even with decent sound support — mics all over my kit and knowledgeable sound people looking after them — my Istanbul Agops (a 22" Sig and a 20" Mel Lewis) that I brought to the gig were a little washed out. Even playing the heavier of my usual hickory sticks (85A-sized). Days after the gig, I then got an invitation to gig with a band that’s more rock/R&B/soul than I routinely play. So I began thinking about that missing ride — more articulation, still crashable, with a little complexity. Definitely not the typical bronze-disk, rock ride that sounds like an anvil. Ride contenders: a Bosphorus New Orleans, Agop Traditional Medium, and Agop Xist.

But before buying one more cymbal -- I also have a 20" Agop Vezir, beautifully modified by Tim Roberts -- I thought I'd simply pick-up a heavier pair of sticks from the bottom of my bin and give it a go playing my Agop Mel Lewis, the most stick-articuate of my 3 Agop rides. I dug up a pair of hickory, wood-tipped VF “Zoro” (a 5A-extreme with a barrel tip) that I never use. Amazing what I got from it! My Mel Lewis sounds like a beautiful rock cymbal, and my Agop hi hats just gained a boxer's weight and muscle.

Maybe I'll just carry those VF Zoros to my next heavier gig and live with my beautiful Agops? Or am I missing something here, and I should get out the credit card for that Bosphorus or a ....

Last edited:

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine had those Mel Lewis. I thought they were outstanding for rock and roll

justensen

Reaction score
I've always fared well with the Peter Erskine Ride stick, but this has me thinking about it a bit more. Definitely something worth exploring!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I play my 20" 602 Medium Ride, switching from wood to nylon tips, or vice versa, gives forth a VERY different sound. I was shocked when I discovered that.

Dan

drumr386

Reaction score
Tip profile and stick density are huge contributors, let alone nylon tips. As a side note, different bass drum beaters will have the same effect on your bass drum.

Omega27

Reaction score
When I play my 20" 602 Medium Ride, switching from wood to nylon tips, or vice versa, gives forth a VERY different sound. I was shocked when I discovered that.

Dan
Dan, please tell me that "gives forth a sound...discovered" is an homage to 2112!?! If not, it still made me sing it in my head this morning and thanks for that! Might just have to play the whole album now!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan, please tell me that "gives forth a sound...discovered" is an homage to 2112!?! If not, it still made me sing it in my head this morning and thanks for that! Might just have to play the whole album now!
Yes, we know; it's nothing new. :)

Dan