header.nohb.html

remember the $5000 gretsch 18" on ebay?

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i found a classified with the same pics and advertisement except the price was much lower so I emailed him. this is the response I got.

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. I am glad that you want to buy my Vintage 18 Gretsch Bass Drum - Champagne Sparkle, or Copper, Early-Mid 1960's and the price I am asking is US $1,500.00. From the start I want to inform you that I left the USA a couple of days ago (next day after I listed this for sale) and I came in United Kingdom with my work (I am a member of the "Save The Children Foundation"). If you still want to buy it, we can do it in a very safe way using an escrow company. They will handle the delivery and will offer you a number of days of Inspection so you can test and see that the merchandise is exactly as described by me. I will pay all shipping/escrow fees.

Thanks,
John"

Scam or what????

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea if it's a scam or not, but I wouldn't touch it with with your money! The part that really bothers me is that he says he left the USA the day after listing them for sale. Who lists something for sale the day before they leave the country? I'm calling B.S. The only way I'd play along would be to ask him when he returns and even then I'd be there in person or find a DFO'er to meet him for you. No way I'd do this sight unseen.

Just my .02 cents.

CaliforniaBill

Reaction score
I generally advise my clients to trust their instincts...that you had enough doubt to post the question tells me you sensed something wasn't quite right.
quote name='MisterNobody777' timestamp='1348091857' post='790908']
i found a classified with the same pics and advertisement except the price was much lower so I emailed him. this is the response I got.

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. I am glad that you want to buy my Vintage 18 Gretsch Bass Drum - Champagne Sparkle, or Copper, Early-Mid 1960's and the price I am asking is US $1,500.00. From the start I want to inform you that I left the USA a couple of days ago (next day after I listed this for sale) and I came in United Kingdom with my work (I am a member of the "Save The Children Foundation"). If you still want to buy it, we can do it in a very safe way using an escrow company. They will handle the delivery and will offer you a number of days of Inspection so you can test and see that the merchandise is exactly as described by me. I will pay all shipping/escrow fees.

Thanks,
John"

Scam or what????
[/quote]

ebok45

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a great way to lose $1500!

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a really standard scam. I get them instantly when I post to craig's list. Almost always a woman's name. It looks like a scam, because it is a scam, guaranteed. Move on.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
That not only smells it reeks SCAM!!
Tell them you have a shipping company that will come by and pickup the drum or you will do a C.O.D.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't correspond at all. I wouldn't be surprised if that puts your email address in the "send me a virus" queue.

Hamfist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scam! It's like the example below only in reverse order...

If your "buyer" is away on a "business trip" but has arranged for his "agent" pick up the "item" ..... don't be in a rush to pack 'em up.
:unsure: