Remembering Charlie Watts Part 2

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since John said he wasn't going to post these due to someone being offended by the language, I thought I would post it for him!

Warning - This video contains ADULT LANGUAGE! Viewer discretion is advised! :)

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since John said he wasn't going to post these due to someone being offended by the language, I thought I would post it for him!

Warning - This video contains ADULT LANGUAGE! Viewer discretion is advised! :)

Wow. Thanks for posting this Gary, and for also including the Warning Label. If ever there was a need for a Warning Label, it's this one! :)

But it was great fun and all the guys were fantastic! Thanks again for sharing it, and thanks to everyone for your positive comments!

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for posting this Gary, and for also including the Warning Label. If ever there was a need for a Warning Label, it's this one! :)

But it was great fun and all the guys were fantastic! Thanks again for sharing it, and thanks to everyone for your positive comments!
Yep, a bit of language in there for sure. But wow, what an engaging group! That was so entertaining. Thanks for doing these.

gabo

BlackPearl

Reaction score

Thank you so much for hosting both parts of these get togethers. Wonderful stories and lots of laughs. Your own story of your day with Charlie in London was a highlight, and sounds like a dream come true !

Tarkus

Reaction score

Thank you so much for this 'part II'.

Fantastic discussion. You talked about things I asked myself a lot. The 'China thing' (which is more a 'Swish thing' I guess). Of course this is from Jazz. Buddy Rich ended many songs with a final hit on a Swish.

But what puzzeled me more was the 'Hi-Hat thing' of Charlie Watts leaving out the 2 and 4. Talking is that Charly was inspired by Jim Keltner playing this at Concert for Bangladesh in 1971. I don't know the concert by heart, but I remember that Keltner was playing drum duet with Ringo. So, leaving out the 2 and 4 has a completely different effect, as there is another hi hat still playing (Ringos). Or was there a song Keltner playing alone this 'thing'? Funny enough there was a Stones live video here in the forum of about 1972, where Charlie tried that already, like practising. But it took few years until it came on record and got his signature beat.

Anyhow, looking forward to part III.