Remo Classic Fit?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for Remo Classic Fit drum Heads. They seem to be hard to find...specifically a 20" bass drum head...even more specifically preferably a 20" Fiberskyn classic fit bass drum head.
When the classic fit heads were introduced I was told by a rep in the Remo booth at the Chicago drum show that they were going to make a Fiberskyn version but after 2 or so years I have yet to see any offered for sale anywhere. Anyone ever run across any? Given these seem to primarily aimed at Round Badge owners (and that's why I need one, I currently have an Aquarian on the drum as the reso but it doesn't quite look or sound like what I want) and that Fiberskyn looks so right on vintage drums, especially as bass drum resos, you'd think there would be a ready market. Maybe there is and they were all snapped up before I saw them but I'd think they'd remain available.

I have seen a couple of specialty dealers that do have the 20" coated white classic fit in stock but would really prefer Fiberskyn. Anyone have any insights or at least have seen one? I'm in no super hurry (still no gigs) but it's on my list of things to get...if they even exist.

and Remo...if you're lurking here, c'mon! make some more or start making them.

EDIT: I found one Classic Fit Fiberskyn bass drum head on Ebay...18" from Germany $69 plus $119 shipping...so NO. Assuming it is in fact a Bass drum head and not meant for a tom it would appear that at least some were made, although maybe just for the overseas bop player's market.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take that back. Remo lists it but only in the Diplomat weight. Here is a link to DFD. They have two in stock. Buy them both and something for ten bucks and you'll get it shipped for free:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called my guy Mike at Sweetwater and he placed a direct order for a 22” (diplomat) Fiberskyn. He said they are usually a special order.
Did it fit your stop sign badge with no problems? I have an 18 inch floor tom I want to convert to a bass drum but unfortunately I cannot find a drum head that fits. I have tried the classic fit, the Aquarian Modern Vintage, and a whole host of other styles when I took my bass to Bentleys and I had no luck whatsoever.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did it fit your stop sign badge with no problems? I have an 18 inch floor tom I want to convert to a bass drum but unfortunately I cannot find a drum head that fits. I have tried the classic fit, the Aquarian Modern Vintage, and a whole host of other styles when I took my bass to Bentleys and I had no luck whatsoever.
I’ve found the Classic Fit is larger than the Aquarian American Vintage. I’ve found some older Attack heads that are almost as forgiving as the Classic Fit. Unfortunately, modifying or somehow ordering a custom head are the likely options remaining.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DT John, I didn't mean to side track the thread, but thank you. I've had no luck, posted a thread a while back, and that project has stalled.....thanks.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes! The Classic fit worked really well for my SSB. You may want to consider notching: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/notching-heads-for-vintage-round-badge-gretsch-drums.132868/

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I take that back. Remo lists it but only in the Diplomat weight. Here is a link to DFD. They have two in stock. Buy them both and something for ten bucks and you'll get it shipped for free:

Thanks, I thought I'd checked there previously. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from there a couple weeks back but can probably scrape up another order that qualifies for free shipping.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
engineering question.

How do they get it to fit the drum and the hoop ? It must be a different ( wider) collar ? Oversized wouldn't really work.

Curious what one looks like..

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Basically, what it comes down to is that the aluminum hoop on the Classic Fit is thinner:
The Classic Fit is on top.
20210205_114826.jpg

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for Remo Classic Fit drum Heads. They seem to be hard to find...specifically a 20" bass drum head...even more specifically preferably a 20" Fiberskyn classic fit bass drum head.
When the classic fit heads were introduced I was told by a rep in the Remo booth at the Chicago drum show that they were going to make a Fiberskyn version but after 2 or so years I have yet to see any offered for sale anywhere. Anyone ever run across any? Given these seem to primarily aimed at Round Badge owners (and that's why I need one, I currently have an Aquarian on the drum as the reso but it doesn't quite look or sound like what I want) and that Fiberskyn looks so right on vintage drums, especially as bass drum resos, you'd think there would be a ready market. Maybe there is and they were all snapped up before I saw them but I'd think they'd remain available.

I have seen a couple of specialty dealers that do have the 20" coated white classic fit in stock but would really prefer Fiberskyn. Anyone have any insights or at least have seen one? I'm in no super hurry (still no gigs) but it's on my list of things to get...if they even exist.

and Remo...if you're lurking here, c'mon! make some more or start making them.

EDIT: I found one Classic Fit Fiberskyn bass drum head on Ebay...18" from Germany $69 plus $119 shipping...so NO. Assuming it is in fact a Bass drum head and not meant for a tom it would appear that at least some were made, although maybe just for the overseas bop player's market.
I have two of the 20" Coated Classic Fit PS3's on backorder with Sweetwater. My Sales Rep said they should be in stock to ship the end of February. In the meanwhile my '62 Round Badge kit will continue with bass drum heads with 4 notches hacksawed into the flesh hoops. The toms currently have Classic Fit heads on them already.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I ordered a head from DfD (thanks jazzdrumguy!). Couldn't quite justify another $50 worth of stuff just now so I bit the bullet and paid the $11 shipping.

This is for a RB 6 ply. The Aquarian American Vintage head works for the reso head (I think I have like a Yamaha head on the batter side, a 20" head that was floating around and just happened to fit) but I'm not a big fan of that ivory color. I'll prefer the Fiberskyn and the Aquarian will find a spot elsewhere...maybe even as the batter.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As a side note, the drum I'm seeking a head for came to me just as a wrapped shell. Beautiful condition but someone had stripped all the hardware off it. I put it back together and assumed that a logo head I had off an earlier three ply 20" bass would go right on this newer six ply shell. Nope, not even close.