Remo Coated Reverse Black Dot vs White Dot? Thoughts?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo Coated Reverse Black Dot vs White Dot? Thoughts? Do you hear a difference between the Black Dot vs the White Dot coated heads? Some people say they like one over the other. Let's just stick to the sound of these Remo heads.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought only Ludwig made white dot and I don't see any reverse white dot heads on remo's website.

I really like coated reverse black dot on snare, though!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both but prefer the white dot .
I can hear a difference between the two personally and so like the white dot version better . I find the stick response is better with the white dot over the black dot version . I will buy whatever is in stock at my local shop but if they have both in stock , I will take the white dot over the black dot .
I stopped using Remo heads for a long time and came back to them because I like the feel and sound of the Remo Mylar .

Aquarian makes a texture coated head with Power Dot underneath that is excellent. Aquarian uses a fabric dot that flexes along with the main Mylar film . I find it has better stick response than the Remo CS .

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I wish Aquarian made a black fabric dot.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They do definitely sound different. My preference is for the clear dot, which is actually thinner.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought only Ludwig made white dot and I don't see any reverse white dot heads on remo's website.
Remo doesn't list every head they offer on their website. These coated heads with white dot underneath are shipped stock with certain Gretsch snare drums and also available by special order.

For heavier hitters, Remo makes a coated head with the dot on TOP too (coating over the whole thing). I'm not referring to their relatively new Powerstroke 77 either...

Browny

Reaction score
My understanding was that the dots reduced in thickness from black (5mil) to white (4 or 3mil?) to clear (3 or 2 mil?).

I've seen IG videos of endorsers rocking the white dots lately but have never seen any in the flesh, although we hardly get the full catalogue of Remo products down here (ie I think the distributor only brings in 26" heads in Amb, P3 & Emp varieties)

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From a pure cosmetic pov I like the Code donut head or Ludwig by Remo silver dots. The problem with the former is its cheap, soft Taiwan film might impede with the drum's attack.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My understanding was that the dots reduced in thickness from black (5mil) to white (4 or 3mil?) to clear (3 or 2 mil?).

I've seen IG videos of endorsers rocking the white dots lately but have never seen any in the flesh, although we hardly get the full catalogue of Remo products down here (ie I think the distributor only brings in 26" heads in Amb, P3 & Emp varieties)
I also seem to remember this information, can't find it on the Remo side. 5/3/2 mil would make sense, as these are the film thicknesses on snare side heads as well.