Remo coating quality - fine to me?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot about issues with the coating coming off to soon on Remo heads, but some of these threads date back a few years. I had used Evans coated in the past, but recently tried some Remo heads on two of my snare drums. I have a few hours usage on each one, and I don't see an issue at all with the coating chipping, flaking, etc. Perhaps this issue was resolved?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they get bad batches now & again where the adhesion of the coating to the mylar doesn't adhere like it should.

During summer time I'll play lots of outdoor festivals. Every once in a while it'll be on an evening when it's really, really damp. The kind of damp where you can see condensation on your gear. I've noticed on those evenings the coating on the snare will more than likely start coming off the head, and it doesn't matter if it's a brand new head or one that's been on the drum for months and was fine up till that point.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think brushes are harder on coated heads also but I've been using REMO since 1957. From what I've heard they all wear down to some degree.

sherm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had it happen once - a few years back, on a 10" coated Emperor head bought new from GC. I put it on a small DW jazz kit (10/13/16) and literally by the next day, the finish had cracked. GC took it back for a refund. Never had an issue on Ambassadors or any other coated heads from Remo (99% of what I play).......

skelt101

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with the coating coming off right away. However, I think it does wear much faster than some other brands. As an example, I took delivery of a set of Ludwig Club Dates in January. They come from the factory with Remo coated Ambassadors. The toms already look more worn than the heads on my snares (Aquarian Texture Coated and Ludwig Coated), which have been on for many months.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've read a lot about issues with the coating coming off to soon on Remo heads, but some of these threads date back a few years. I had used Evans coated in the past, but recently tried some Remo heads on two of my snare drums. I have a few hours usage on each one, and I don't see an issue at all with the coating chipping, flaking, etc. Perhaps this issue was resolved?
I've never had an issue with the ambassador. The AmbassadorX though I have found is flaking off. First time I've ever had this happen.

Rick

Reaction score
Same here. I gave up on Remo's coating. I use clear heads on my toms, but my snare was going through Remo coated Ambassadors and Ambassadors X in no time. I do play a lot of brushes, but the worst part of the wear was just off center on the head where it's mostly sticks. I've been using Aquarian Texture Coated lately. The coating last probably 4 or 5 times longer than Remo, and the head to my ear sounds even better than Remo.

Having said all that, I am still having to change the Aquarian TC about every 2 to 3 months, playing an average of 2 to 3 gigs per week. I previously had an Attack Terry Bozzio coated head that has seemingly indestructible coating on it, but I didn't really like the sound of the head. It wasn't bad, but not as good as the Remo or Aquarian (which is weird because I have Attack Terry Bozzio clear heads on my toms and they are by far the best sounding heads I've used). I'm going to try a standard Attack coated 1-ply head on my snare since it's a different material than the Bozzio head and see what it sounds like. It has the same indestructible coating, so if I like the sound that will probably be my new head for that drum. Otherwise, I'll just stick to Aquarian for the snare. We'll see...

J

jaymandude

The thing about Remo heads tho, is even if the coating wears off, they sound better as they get older. I have some vintage A’s and a few other assorted coated on a kit and a few snares for over 4 years. I love the way those drums sound. But that’s me

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think they get bad batches now & again where the adhesion of the coating to the mylar doesn't adhere like it should.
I think so, too.

With over 60 snares here, naturally the largest percentage are outfitted with Remo Ambassadors from many different eras, some older, some new. In my experience it comes down to which particular batch era you get that determines the longevity of the coating. It's my understanding that revised OSHA manufacturing standards forced Remo to modify their coating formula years ago, that's why the "pre-pie" logo heads held their coating much longer than the newer coated drumhead batches of today - but I think the actual Mylar formula is still essentially the same as they've always used, and that's why the heads still exhibit the great tonality that made Remo the standard of the industry.

Tanabata

Reaction score
The thing about Remo heads tho, is even if the coating wears off, they sound better as they get older. I have some vintage A’s and a few other assorted coated on a kit and a few snares for over 4 years. I love the way those drums sound. But that’s me
I've had coated ambassadors on so long that the coating was really worn away, they sounded amazing with brushes, sticks, whatever.

Rick

Reaction score
I've seen that too. I just played another drummer's drums a couple of weeks ago in a jazz jam session. He had a VERY well worn Remo Ambassador on his snare and it sounded great! Seen that before too. But the last Remo Ambassador I had on my snare (actually, it was an Ambassador X) sounded great when it was new and terrible once a significant amount of the coating wore off.

J

jaymandude

It’s like when you get a used kit and it has a pinstripe from 1987 on it and it sounds freakin AMAZING.

alanolynn

Reaction score
I feel like Remo's production involves a more "loose" coating of their heads vs. they're competitors. Granted, that means the coated will break down and smooth over quicker, but IMHO, I feel that the heads sing more and help to produce the real sound of the drum. With too much coating on a head, the tone gets choked, and the necessary flex that you need just isn't there. Anyone else?